goldenhawk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I admit I selected the wrong engine for my rpg but now I know better and to choose rpg Maker MV

CuddleFox

Furry
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
anyone can make instantly a great game when i learned the hard way NO YOU CAN'T you must fail and fail and fail and fail some more and learn from all those failures till you make headway.
There's no point in telling them, it's just going to annoy them, they don't listen because they think making a good game is very easy since that's what RPG Maker sells to allow. What you have to do is sit on a bench and say, "Ah, the youth, so innocent and pure"

Reactions: TSR

goldenhawk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am going to be buying Smile Game Builder as it’s cheaper and fits my needs... sorry but even with the discount offers for RPG Maker MV it’s still too expensive

eluukkanen

Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Depends on where you live and what is your life situation. I find RPG Maker MV pricing pretty affordable. Also the reality is that they need the money for keeping up this place and bringing more content to the table.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@goldenhawk As has already been said in this thread, it is not permitted to discuss other engines due to this being a coroporate site, not a fan site.

dalton

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
Everyone here made really compelling points. RM is a great example of how constraints can help one achieve amazing things. I don't consider "constraints" the same as "limitations" even though they are sometimes used interchangeably. For me, "constraint" sounds far more positive. I've seen people do great stuff with very primitive tools that are far less capable than RM. As someone who is new to RM, this idea excites me more than it intimidates me. The fact of the matter is that whenever I see a legitimately great RM game, I'm even MORE impressed by it then something mediocre, or even good made in Unity, etc. Show me a limitation and I'll show you a challenge excepted!

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Because its geared more toward a single genre and requires a lot 9f modification to do much else and other engines are better for other ideas.

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Show me a limitation and I'll show you a challenge excepted![/QUOTE said:
Agreed! That's the spirit, bypassing limitation is the fun part :)

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've only ever run into a few limitations with the program itself. It typically fits my needs. There are things done in previous RPG Makers that I wish would've carried over into MV... but, alas... someone decided to cut those features (for example, there was an option to just flash the sprite a specific color via event. Now, you have to create an animation that is a flash and then call that animation to the event in order to get it to flash. It's a bit... backwards).

The list of limitations I genuinely don't like:

1. No option for a "Quest Log". In the days of modern RPGs, this is sort of a big deal. Want to keep track of quests for your player? Better go grab a plugin. This is sort of a feature I would consider "standard" for most RPG's.

2. No "terrain options". I liked back in RPG Maker 2000, when you could set a "terrain tag" on your map pieces in order to determine what "battle background" to use. Likewise, you could also determine which terrains could be traversed via specific vehicles. You could, for example, set a boat to be able to cross purple swamp land if you wanted to. Or, you could restrict airships from crossing deserts if you so desired. You could also use the "Terrain Tags" to set what specific enemies might spawn in them. You could draw a box, include a ton of different enemies, that box might include regular grassy plains, tall grass, and some forest tiles... and you could have some of the enemies set to only appear in the forests while all the enemies appeared everywhere. The current method for doing this is far more cumbersome (you have to place individual squares and then go set what appears in those squares separately! Lots of extra clicking for no reason!). Likewise, you could also add a "terrain damage" tag to tiles if you wanted.

3. Item creation is fairly limited. Let's say I want to make an item that is a permanent sprint so long as it is equipped on someone in the party... but you can't sprint at all if the item isn't equipped. Good luck making that item. Prepare to build it via common event and disabling menu options. Or, what if I want to create an item that only increases gold drops by 25%? Good luck with that as well. What about an item that increases XP gain by 47%? Yeah, good luck creating that. Basically, you gotta go get some more plugins if you want to have some pretty good control over what your items/equipment do. That's not to say there aren't some fantastic options here, but what does exist is fairly limited considering games like Final Fantasy 1 had some of these item features as default, and we're using a program created recently.

4. Element limitations. I've yet to figure out how to make being hit with an element heal someone with RPG Maker MV. I'm fairly certain it's not possible. There are times where I wish I had access to such a feature. Hit the Fire Elemental with a Fire spell, and it gains HP back. Likewise, it'd be pretty great if you could target your allies with your offensive skills and target enemies with your items. Anyway, the elemental limitations are kind of onerous. Another example would be making your Skills unable to have anything more than a single element on them. It's weird that you can make weapons with more than one element, but not skills. It's also a bit frustrating.

5. The "dual wielding" option is very limited. If you have it, you can't equip a shield. At all. Ever. Why does this not just enable the shield slot to be able to equip a second weapon instead? No clue. But... it's sort of annoying. As a result, you don't see many RPG Maker games with character in them that use this Feature.

6. Menu limitations. I'm not talking about all the stuff you can use a plugin to alter or remove. Let's say you want to compare two pieces of equipment. Unless it's already equipped, you can't do it. Or, what if you want to compare all the stats on a piece of equipment? Can't do that either. Defense items only compare the "Defense" stat, and Weapons only compare the "Attack" stat. RPG Maker 2000 compared all the stats, why is this feature missing in MV? Likewise, there's no ability to show off extra features for equipment in the menus either. Does this weapon have a chance to inflict Poison? Well, unless I waste space in my "description" box, the player will never know. They won't know it inflicts Poison or how much of a chance it has to do so. Why not? Not sure.

7. Enemy sprite limitations. This is a two-fold issue. It would be nice to have an option to "recolor" enemies, or specific portions of enemies rather than just shifting their hue. Likewise, this would be a fantastic feature for animations as well. Since you can't, you need to pull the image out of the program, into an art program of some kind, manually recolor, then load it back into the program. The other issue is that if you are a fan of a specific style of enemy sprite and you want more... you're going to be hard-pressed to find it. Ever since the first RPG Maker, I've loved the various styles of the "RTP" as they've generally felt very uniform. Do we ever get DLC of more enemies in this style? Nope! Never! Likewise, even the basic roster of enemies we get is extremely limited. You want a wolf or a bear to fight? Yeah, they aren't in there. Tigers? Nope. Unicorn? Probably not. I think you're given something like 40 enemy sprites per program and roughly 6 or so of them look like "boss monsters". Then, you gotta buy new DLC. Which... I'll be honest... is fine... if the DLC you could buy matched the style of the RTP. If you buy any of the DLC monsters, you now have to switch over all your monsters to whatever style that is... and hope there are more sprites as other DLC so that it matches up. But, if you don't want to buy the DLC, or the DLC doesn't have what you want, you could commission what you want... Except, good luck finding anyone able to copy the style you're wanting to use, even for large sums of money.

8. "Choice" option limitations. You can have up to 4 choices. Okay, that's fine. Here's the problem: The amount of text you can fit in a choice box is very small. So small, in fact, that it tells you next to nothing about the option you're choosing. Likewise, you can't "display text" as the choices are being hovered over. What do I mean? Let's say your options are "Yes" or "No". If your cursor (not the mouse, the actual box cursor thing) is on "Yes", it does not display a custom description of what taking this choice would do (like many other RPG's often do). The message does not change when it switches over to "No" either. This is a limitation to which I've yet to even see a plugin to handle. I've found my own way around it, but heaven help you if you have more than two choices as a text box only fits 4 lines.

9. Text box limitations. I miss being able to decide which side of the text box a portrait appeared on. I just do. It was nice to swap them back and forth to provide the illusion of a conversation. Now, they only show up on the left. Meh.

---

With all of that being said... Yes, the program is incredibly versatile. I've found a lot of workarounds for a lot of things. I've also found ways to create unique features. The limitations are sometimes incredibly useful for stimulating my creativity and problem-solving. You can do quite a lot with the programs if you experiment and tinker with them.

I think the argument of "limitations" are the fact that so many basic features of every single RPG in existence (including the JRPG's we're meant to be making with it) just aren't included in the programs or are very difficult/time consuming to recreate with the engine.

Personally, I think a lot of the criticism of "the program is very limited" would go away if someone went through all the JRPG's in the last 20 years, wrote a list of features they included, and tried to include anything that was in at least 20% of all the RPG's. It would solve a lot of the complaints, in my opinion, if things that were ubiquitous RPG tropes and features were actually part of the default tool sets in RPG Maker engines.

Just my two cents.

I love the maker and how amazing and versatile it is. But, I do have a massive crapload of complaints about just how exceptionally limited the program actually is... especially when many of these features used to exist in previous iterations and are now removed for newer versions... I especially have issues of "why is this so limited!?" when many of these features would be easy enough to include and are fairly basic.

dalton

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
Personally, I think a lot of the criticism of "the program is very limited" would go away if someone went through all the JRPG's in the last 20 years, wrote a list of features they included, and tried to include anything that was in at least 20% of all the RPG's.
Looks like you already have a pretty decent head-start on that task, Tai_MT!

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Disregarding the things you can do with scripting and coding (which if I include them in "limited" list it could go on for infinity), after years of fiddling around with the engine I do come with the conclusion that the RPGM engine is really limited on performance optimization, which is jarring considering there had been so many versions of RPGM and I had yet to see this issue being properly addressed.

Literally most of the anti-lag "scripts" and "solutions" are just working around these "limitations" in the core engine, ie. disabling unused/unnecessary events, manually clearing cache. etc.

And then there's the limit on the resolution in which trying to break the limit (if you could) results in a game that can barely run above playable FPS - even in the most powerful of PCs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hi, there.
I'm Creta Park, as Software engineer and Indie game developer.

Profile : creft.me/cretapark
GitHub : github.com/creta5164
Blog : creta5164.tumblr.com

My stuff

Who shares/sells their scripts/plugins on itch.io? Can I pick your brain?
If you ever need fantasy names and you're bored, make a fictional alphabet. Switch around the letters and see what you get :p
I JUST GOT PROMOTED TO 9TH GRADE BOIS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeathByPiercing