Why RPG Maker?

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Figured I'd ask my fellow devs/coders/artists/and just hobbiests here.

Why RPG Maker? In this day and age there so many programs to use, it's the easiest time to make a game. Godot, Unity, Gamemaker, Unreal, and just dozens of other engines/programs to use, each one possibly being used to make RPGs or the other odder games we see float up. But we're all here, we're all messing around with RPG maker. Either as a hobby or as actual commerical products.

I suppose I'm asking, why do you use RPG Maker?

Myself? I find the program does a lot of the more minor stuff compared to some of the other programs. Database function alone helps. I still need to do heavy lifting with either plugins or actual coding myself but it just takes care of a lot of chaff, even if it means I have to go in and refill things.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mostly because I know how to use RPG Maker, and find it far easier to work with than any of those other programs. I don't need to reinvent the wheel in RPG Maker. All of the basic systems I need for my game already exist, and are easy to use. I don't need to buy code for a dialogue system, or a basic RPG inventory system.

I'm no programmer\coder, nor do I really want to be one, so I'll likely never move on to a more complex program. The only other engines I still use are SMILE (which is almost exactly the same as RPG Maker, only it uses 3D assets), and FPS Creator; this is the only program I did learn to program\code for, because it used some unique FPS Creator only language that was stupidly easy to learn.

Last edited:

Mewgles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I guess the main reason is 2D rpg style games since that's literally in the name. Sure you can make 2d rpgs with other engines too, but they are a lot more vague since they usually cover a bigger variety of genres. And that usually increases the work needed to create a full game from scratch quite a lot.

You can of course also create other game with RPG Maker, but that has pretty much the same effect as those other tools, increasing the work since it just wasn't built for it.

Regarding 3D games, well they are a whole different level of complexity and increase the work needed for a unique game in pretty much exponential ways.

Hyouryuu-Na

Sapphire Sodium
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's very easy to learn and very easy to use. I've been through many engines before. I don't really understand unity, godot and other engines like these. They're just very hard to grasp for me as I'm very impatient. Even if I know what I want, I still can't figure out how to do it. However, in Rpg Maker, it's very easy to understand what you have to do in order to achieve something, once you get a hang of it. I've never gotten stuck to the point where I've had to scrap a whole idea or conecept while working in rpg maker. But when I was messing aroud with unity, it was always me asking myself 'how the hell am I supposed to do this? It's too hard. I can't do this.' There's soo many plugins/scripts around for rpg maker. You can use them fairly easily and there's so much you can do using these. There's this great forum here. This community is soo awesome I have no words for it. If rpg maker didn't have such a helpful, strong community I would've left ages ago. Whenever you get stuck, there's always someone or another to help you out and most of the time the issue gets resolved. I don't see people get actually stuck. But while it has many pros, it surely also has cons, like any other game engine. It's mainly meant to make rpgs so obviously it lacks many functions other engines have. But I feel like if you're creative and hardworking enough, you can literally make anything 2D in rpg maker.

Last edited:

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's very easy to learn and very easy to use. I've been through many engines before. I don't really understand unity, godot and other engines like these. They're just very hard to grasp for me as I'm very impatient. Even if I know what you want, I still can't figure out how to do it. However, in Rpg Maker, it's very easy to understand what you have to do in order to achieve something, once you get a hang of it. I've never gotten stuck to the point where I've had to scrap a whole idea or conecept while working in rpg maker. But when I was messing aroud with unity, it was always me asking myself 'how the hell am I supposed to do this? It's too hard. I can't do this.' There's soo many plugins/scripts around for rpg maker. You can use them fairly easily and there's so much you can do using these. There's this great forum here. This community is soo awesome I have no words for it. If rpg maker didn't have such a helpful, strong community I would've left ages ago. Whenever you get stuck, there's always someone or another to help you out and most of the time the issue gets resolved. I don't see people get actually stuck. But while it has many pros, it surely also has cons, like any other game engine. It's mainly meant to make rpgs so obviously it lacks many functions other engines have. But I feel like if you're creative and hardworking enough, you can literally make anything 2D in rpg maker.
I will admit that the community is a big help. Not even using their resources, just having a good community to bounce ideas off of or ask for a quick "How to" is pretty nice to have. I've had a couple ugly interactions while trying to mess with unity on their forums.

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been asking myself this question a lot lately though, as I've started toying around with non-rpgs. As the others said, it's just really easy to work with when getting started, at least for rpgs.

Recently spending quite a bit writing bad JS to get a mostly-functional sidescroller/platformer-lite experience with MV, I questioned why I was set on doing it in RPG maker. Played around with Unity and Godot a bit, and I can see how they would be useful, but there's a lot of basic work that has to be done.

Ultimately, I think I like sticking with RPGmaker because the community(at least here) is really helpful and friendly overall. Perhaps that's the case with other programs too, but I'm used to this place. Probably why I went ahead and pre-ordered MZ even though I'm not sure how useful it'll be for what I'd like to work on next.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's perfect for me because dipping into Unity and Unreal seemed overwhelming and I just want to relax and dig in. Instant gratification, I guess, but I'm still learning a lot and can go at my own pace.

I could go at my own pace with other engines but what drew me to RPG Maker is that absolutely love old RPG games like Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest/Warrior. Being able to toy around with a similar style has been a blast. :LZSexcite:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
There are other programs I've used, including programming in things like C, but rpg maker does something I want really well and some of those other programs I don't even see AAA companies use well.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a bit complicated and depend on your previous experience on other engines.

You can do whatever with pure Python or Javascript. Really. Why use Godot? You can bypass Godot and use Python directly.

Let's say you want to create a JRPG.
You'll need a database, maps, battle engine and so on.
You can do that in pure Python, adding PyGame for rendering and create your game entirely by the notepad.
That will be A LOT of work, believe me.

So, you'll decide to use an API instead, and go for GODOT.
You'll launch Godot and you'll see you can upload a picture, assign code and functions... but you have to wrote such functions on your own.

That was indeed more user friendly, but that coding...

So, you'll spot online an editor that already own optimized tileset, database, battles...
And guess what? It's not just easier, but also fun on his own.
For your strict JRPG, the best option you have is so to use RPG Maker.

The logic is quite easy: the deeper you go, the wider your options are, but the less ergonomy you'll face and the more time you'll spend to re-invent the wheel.

Choice is yours.
  • With Python you can create both any game than any office app. DIFFICULTY: HELL
  • With Godot you can create (just) any game. DIFFICULTY: HARD
  • With RM you can strictly create JRPG. DIFFICULTY: NORMAL.
In the end, everything stand in your starting premise ("I wanna make a standard JRPG") and then you'll use the best tools around.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Engines like Godot and Unity are brilliant blank slates - but that assumes you know what you want to make. That creative void is hard to fill as a hobby game dev.

Also, as an IT professional, I'm typically not looking to replicate the same in-depth work I do during the day. Tinkering with RPG Maker feels like digging around in a virtual bin of LEGOs. It's just fun to snap things together for an hour or so.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because peole here in the community, they give me encouragement and inspiration to make move forward. I am such a lier lol. Mostly it is just easy tinkering with and the plugin helps make your ideas came near to what you imagined. Most of people here just want to make a game and find an easy way to find it.

Last edited:

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I initially got RPG Maker Ace 'cause I thought the characters were cute and I wanted to make a game myself. I don't know code. I've stuck with RPG Maker 'cause it's familiar. I know how to do most of what I'd like to do and can iron it out or look up a guide if I don't know how. The community's pretty good. :kaoluv:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I initially got RPG Maker Ace 'cause I thought the characters were cute
Awwh! ^.^ I think that's a great reason. I was attracted to something because I thought it was cute. Love it! I used to keep telling myself that the whole anime and chibi style was bad, but deep down I loved it. No idea why I tried convincing myself I didn't like it. Perhaps it was to fit in with others at that time.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awwh! ^.^ I think that's a great reason. I was attracted to something because I thought it was cute. Love it! I used to keep telling myself that the whole anime and chibi style was bad, but deep down I loved it. No idea why I tried convincing myself I didn't like it. Perhaps it was to fit in with others at that time.
Part of the appeal was definitely that it came with a character generator and tiles I could use to get started. At that time, I was writing stories and stuff. I roleplayed a lot back then and had quite a few original characters and stories/worlds for them to belong to. It was so overwhelming when I made my first map. :kaothx: heehe

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fluffymonster Oh, yeah, the character generator is a huge thing for me too. When I first started using RPG Maker, back when you had to use the fan translated version of RPG Maker 2003, there was no built in generator. You had to scour the web for midis, sprites, and tiles. I didn't really mind back then, though. I was very young, and I was just happy to be making games with my friend; even if the only characters I made were cheap knock-offs of the FF7 cast. lol.

I'm glad they've continued to support and expand the character generator since it was first introduced. It really is a useful tool for many people. We don't have to use RTP heroes for every single game, nor do we have to search the web for random sprites to represent our characters. It's pretty awesome.

I miss that feeling I had back when I first started, I guess it was because everything was new to me. There was just this drive to create. I sat down and made maps, terrible maps, but maps nonetheless. I find it hard to do that nowadays.

Quill-Hawthorne

(the one and only)
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What drew me to RPG maker is the amount of free assets you're given from the get-go. I was overwhelmed, but also really impressed by what a newbie could do with this engine.

The learning curve isn't too steep and it's pretty easy to throw something together. This suited me when I was younger and now I've just gotten very fond of this engine. And the greatest thing is while it's simple enough for new coders, the engine is very flexible when you want to get creative with it.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fluffymonster Oh, yeah, the character generatr is a huge thing for me too. When I first started using RPG Maker, back when you had to use the fan translated version of RPG Maker 2003, there was no built in generator. You had to scour the web for midis, sprites, and tiles. I didn't really mind back then, though. I was very young, and I was just happy to making games with my friend; even if the only characters I made were cheap knock-offs of the FF7 cast. lol.

I'm glad they've continued to support and expand the character generator since it was first introduced. It really is a useful tool for many people. We don't have to use RTP heroes for every single game, nor do we have to search the web for random sprites to represent our characters. It's pretty awesome.

I miss that feeling I had back when I first started, I guess it was because everything was new to me. There was just this drive to create. I sat down and made maps, terrible maps, but maps nonetheless. I find it hard to do that nowadays.
I actually didn't know about RPG Maker until Ace. I don't really remember where I heard about it or how I stumbled upon it. It just kinda happened. I've always been favorable towards doll makers, which is similar to the generator. It helps me when designing a character and it's just fun to imagine your characters in multiple different styles.

I think my first map was a room. I can vaguely remember making crude mice that looked super out of place next to the normal art RPG Maker Ace came with lmao. I don't really remember much and I unfortunately didn't save any of my Ace projects since I wasn't planning to go back to them once I got MV. Makes me kinda sad, really. -w-

Fantasmi_Gammes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Becouse i know how to use RPG Maker and its really easy do games in RPG Maker.

XD

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I initially tried to code my first game several years ago in Python, and drew my own graphics. It took forever because I'm neither a hardcore programmer nor an artist. Then I found out about RPG Maker VX Ace and it was super easy to get started creating an RPG, partly because it came with a lot of resources but also because other people generously shared their work for free. And with a bit of coding you could get the engine to do what you wanted (most of the time), if scripts/plug-ins didn't already exist for that.

I'm trying to decide what engine to use for my next games (I'm less interested in RPGs these days), but definitely one of the reasons I'm considering staying with RPG Maker is the community - many people here and elsewhere are incredibly helpful and supportive, and provide great feedback. I don't think I would have released a commercial game without this forum!

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, because I can't code, nor am I interested in learning how to. I just want to make a game, and the RPG Maker event system is perfect for just that. Also, the RTP has always been nice, good for starting out with, but easy to edit and make your own things for as well.

I tried Game Maker all the way back in mid 00's, but it didn't feel nearly as solid as RPG Maker 2003, back then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

a romanticized war
Still working on a few pixel projects- first, working on a fan tileset that I plan to drop soon. Second, returned to my Meat Market icons today and knocked out an additional eight. Up to 41 icons for meat products. Have another 14 icons planned before I run out of ideas.
Fixed a memory leak that I left myself a month ago. Feelsgoodman
been a while since i posted here my coding class got ****ed because of covid and i did not learn much java script and the little stuff that i did learn i forgot by now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s69-5