TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why RPG Maker? In this day and age there so many programs to use, it's the easiest time to make a game. Godot, Unity, Gamemaker, Unreal, and just dozens of other engines/programs to use, each one possibly being used to make RPGs or the other odder games we see float up. But we're all here, we're all messing around with RPG maker. Either as a hobby or as actual commerical products.

I suppose I'm asking, why do you use RPG Maker?
Actually I'm feeling more and more like leaving RPG Maker as far as game dev goes (once I'm done with my current MV project). As you say, in this day and age there are a lot of other options out there and quite a few offering similar RPG making built-in capabilities, but shockingly with way more options and better performances than RPG Maker.
The announcement and previews of MZ didn't help. It was their chance to catch up, but they didn't. Releasing yet another half-baked product.
RPG Maker clearly has a main target market in mind (mostly hobbyist who are just playing around with it and in most cases will never release anything). For those people, it's a great engine that I'd recommend, but that's not me.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TWings, that is why I am here. What software you do think of next Unity, Unreal, Construction, or Game Maker" Studio? I like the play devil advocate. Too much sweet can be boring to me sometimes.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I do agree having some speak out against the program could help.

Myself I just like it due to ease of access I suppose. I hope to put something out by the end of the year if not sooner. But at the same time I realize the issues the program has and just wonder why other people stay with it.

Discussion and thoughts more than anything.

Xane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
(US) English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly, out of the box regardless whatever people want to call RM. You have to admit this engine series has the MOST tutorials for an engine. 9 times out of 10 if you're stuck on something and don't know what to do next there's an answer for it here or any other RM forum. I own GMS2 myself and while I love the things it can do out of the box. It is not as user friendly as RM is. Everything you want to do must be made from the ground up, not to mention any tutorial series one would want to follow they usually can't because the person doing the tutorial gives up half way into the series. I've used RM since VX. If you think MZ is limited you'd be surprised what you didn't have now. I think of the series as a smartphone manufacturer. Every release is an incremental upgrade, sure you might not NEED MZ if you own MV for obvious reasons, but let's say you're coming from VX or XP or even 2k3 for whatever reason, the people who didn't have the money then might have the money now so MZ is a huge step up from what they had before hand. I'll agree, it has it's faults and sometimes the audience it caters too handicaps it and holds it back for sure. But remember if RM went in the direction as other engines we'd be doing the whole Windows 8 fiasco all over again. People don't like change, and by changing the roots you'd upset a huge portion of your market. Plus I feel by that point, people wouldn't have a reason to keep using RM.

I'm sure I'd could learn other engines if I wanted too, but sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side either. So hence why I chose to stick with RM as a platform.

Jenova

Because you are...a puppet!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am in love with this thread. I have had so many people ask me "Why did you choose RPGMMV? Unity is so much better!" and I get that point, but thank you, THANK YOU for making this thread.

I can redirect people here instead of answering it because this is EVERYTHING I wanted it to be and more.

As for my own reason: The simplicity.

Most basic aspects such as movement, the battle scene, and interactions are all taken care of out of the box. Granted, you can modify these things with plugins but most times its fine the way it is.

That is what a game maker should have: The basics. Coding/integrating everything else should come later once you have an idea of what you want to make.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Simple, use the best tool for the job at hand. A hammer can get a screw in, but a screwdriver is more elegant and simpler.

I actually use both Unity and RM, just for different projects. In the past I've used Unity to create slot games at a previous job, today I use it mostly now to work on VR/AR projects and this pays my bills. I am confident enough in my skills to create a JRPG with Unity if I wanted to, and actually my current project originally started that way. The problem, however, when you're working on a side project in your free time after hours is there is only so much you can dedicate to it. Unity, even with some asset store purchases, my progression in making the RPG engine I wanted was going very slowly. Eventually I learned of MV and decided to give it a try, as older RMs were a toy I used in the past so I knew how they worked. With some plugin writing, grabbing a few off the internet to go alongside them, and some eventing, what took me 4 months in Unity took me a week in RM. That was huge! I am still working on my project on and off currently, but with RM I can see an eventual end goal of being completed. Unity, I feel like by the time I finished I would be old and retired. My project is a one man project and I am more or less handling just about everything with my own hands so I have to be reasonable in my scope if I want to see an end.

One bonus though is this gets me a little more variety tool wise. C# during the day, JS at night. If I used only C# with Unity all the time, that makes me more dependent on a single tool and with how fast tech changes, us programmers/developers need to be able to adapt as needed. I remember teaching myself tons of C++ eons ago because in school that was how professional games got made, but again times change and new tools emerge.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Somehow you could say they love to just publish unfinished versions of engines instead of a whole engine as we all might have always expected. One of the things I've never understood is how easily they remove existing features in the next release, and MZ is no exception to that weird rule. Just look at the sprite spreadsheets.

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Somehow you could say they love to just publish unfinished versions of engines instead of a whole engine as we all might have always expected. One of the things I've never understood is how easily they remove existing features in the next release, and MZ is no exception to that weird rule. Just look at the sprite spreadsheets.
What does that have to do with "why RPG Maker over others"? I am seriously confused.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm a bit of a traitor I suppose, cause I prefer Unity overall. :kaocry: But I still use the Makers for projects here and there, mostly due to I'm more experienced with the engine, as RPG Maker is what I made my first game in long, long ago. I really love the nostalgic familiarity. Also, it's a work smarter, not harder situation when you want to make your standard old-school jRPGs.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Well, I can't say I love the brand as others might prefer. They've messed with stuff in every iteration of the engine. So they've made me wish it were more complex a la WC World Editor.

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I can't say I love the brand as others might prefer. They've messed with stuff in every iteration of the engine. So they've made me wish it were more complex a la WC World Editor.
So are you gonna tell us why you use RPG Maker MV or...?

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
For me, it's because "easy enough for a child" in RM also somewhat applies to scripting/plugin development, and I'm still just a bad junior programmer, so VXA, MV and perhaps MZ are easy enough for me to write scripts/plugins.
I've tried to write codes in the Warcraft III Frozen Throne world editor several years ago(I consider it flexible and powerful enough to be a nano game engine), but even that's already beyond my level back then, so I don't think I'm ready for much, much more flexible and powerful engines yet(I've also tried to experiment with CryEngine 3 several years ago but I can't even grasp the fundamentals after a week already).
So, if one day I feel capable enough to take on Unity(as it's free), I think I'll become very, very inactive in RM, even though I doubt if that day will ever come lol

TypicalPlayer82692

Spooky Boi
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's already been said here already quite a lot but yes this engine is far easier to learn at first since most of the basic/essential rpg systems are there.

To add my own flair however, I think it can make the potential game dev realize that there are a lot more to making games and the like than what they may have thought. So if this potential dev is slogging through rpgmaker feeling it's too hard and complicated, they'll realize that engines such as unity won't be for them either.

ImaginaryVillain

Sprokle Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One night in January 2019... I was really bored and with a few hours to kill, so on a whim I downloaded the MV trial. After about a week, I bought it... Fascinated by building my own world. When I started I didn't really know much about even what a variable was. MV's easy visual testing of allowed me to learn to program. About a month in I found out about event spawners and my world changed, and I was hooked. :LZSexcite:

Fast forward to today, and I've made so much for MV that I'm basically just here to stay. Add to that RM's great community and it seems like a very plausible way to launch a plan for world domination game dev career... Or at least a spectacular way to kill a whole lot of time. :LZSwink:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not leaving RPG Maker anytime soon in term of game dev (although I might be inactive for a period of time mainly due to my mood or IRL stuff rather than moving on).

Here are the reasons why I'm sticking to RPG Maker:
  1. I never consider game development as a serious thing to do. If I'm going serious in the game development, I would leave the RPG Maker scene a long time ago and pursuing my career in other game engines.
  2. RPG Maker has default resources to use by default and that was the main attraction to keep staying. As well as the abundant community resources. I don't care about the stigma around it.
  3. I'm a coder and RPG Maker provides an environment for a fun exercise of doing the coding. Granted, all other engines could also provide the same thing. But I have already know inside out of RPG Maker so what I need to know is to test my concept and design, and not bothering to learn their library and API from scratch.
  4. The community. We all talk on the same topic. RPG Maker and RPG in general. Not too broad.
I have already tried other engines like Unity. That was like 5 years ago. While the engine offers a lot of design choices and possibilities, I just didn't want to commit myself to learn the whole engine. I need my time for doing fun coding/design exercises, watching anime, playing games, and work. And learning other engines, I need to scratch one or two of them.

Eyeball Mouth

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is like, the first game engine I've ever attempted to use lol. Unity and Gamemaker seem way too intimidating even though I have game dev friends who are experienced in both who could teach me. It's frustrating but fun to see what I can and can't do with it. I'm not very technical so what it has or lacks doesn't bother me much I'm just here to make a little game (mostly) by myself. Plus the community is really nice with the tutorials and plugins and everything.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm a lazy programmer who loves rpg's (DnD nerd here). I hated making all that stuff from scratch (coding art music etc). So RM series was the easiest to work with. I already code for a living and know other languages - just rather use an RDK that has everything from jump and have fun making something cute lol. Work smarter, not harder and RM is basically my template lolol
now with a decent machine. no more dev hell woot XD

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a former Flash developer, I always wanted to make an RPG, so rather than try to reinvent the wheel, I figured I'd give MV a shot. It was only about $20 when I got it. Besides, I'm **** at art (although i can do alright edits of existing assets) so the fact that it comes with art and has lots of free community-made stuff to work with is a huge bonus too.

Besides, writing core engine code is extremely boring.

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am a proud hobbyist and it does exactly what I want it to - it builds basic JRPGs and it's easy to use. I can't code and you can't make me. ;p

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Aesica I second the writing core engine code is extremely boring. Like could we do it? Yes. Do we want to? Not really. I find more fun in writing the gameplay core, not writing some complex directed graph data structure to handle the implementation of branching dialogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Fixed a memory leak that I left myself a month ago. Feelsgoodman
been a while since i posted here my coding class got ****ed because of covid and i did not learn much java script and the little stuff that i did learn i forgot by now
Yosh! :LZScheeze: Made a video with some cool tips and tricks for MV & MZ.
As you watch, I'm curious to know how many tips you already knew. :LZSyum:

Lol. Just got an Apple support scam... is that a thing now? Well, I trolled them good. I played "H.O.L.I.D.A.Y." by The Wiggles and then told them that the supposed victim wasn't at the call center anymore. He was confused so I let it slip that I knew the scam. He hung up on me.
Tired of scammers? Just troll them. They'll run for the hills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black_The_Cat