Soul

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After looking around for a software to get into making a game for myself, I found RPG Maker. Didn't get a Maker until a nagging feeling to check Steam just came over me - ACE was the only thing that came up. That's mainly where I get the games I buy, and that day I had a Steam card available from my birthday. I compared it to Vx with some reviews and the info from this sites store before deciding to get it. It's been a fun experience: I learned from trial and error, being too stubborn to look for an answer or into any tutorial. I've had a blast with this software - it's easy to jump right into making a game I feel like writing a story for, or trying out some ideas in a new project before adding them to whatever project has my focus around that time. I've learned a lot by using this software, like how to use GIMP (somewhat) and learning what I really enjoy out of games that I play today, and have played in the past.

This community being as lively and encouraging as it is has to one another has kept me around, ever since I've had the time to really focus on my current project. Though I joined a while ago, I've only recently been active here. Helped a few people, have been helped by a few others, and I've seen some really cool creations from people - from threads, blogs, and streams people put up on here or link to in their status. I try to make time to leave a comment as this community has a lot of talented people. You guys and gals are all awesome people.

Some features I'd like to see in the future aren't really involved with the forum. The maker is really nice as it is, but it would be pretty nice to be able to adjust everything (menu-layouts, battle huds, etc) more easily, without the use of a script someone made or by editing the scripts within the engine itself. For people like me, those that aren't very script savvy when they start using the software, it's quite intimidating. Aside from that...probably to allow all tilesets to be accessible when making a map. I like to use a bunch of tiles from various sets for my maps, and it'd be easier in general if they could be accessed on a whim without putting together a new tileset each time I need stuff to be accessed from the same set. I use events to help fill out the area's of my maps, it'd be easier for newer users to do it if this were added in. Oh - and a built in editor for lighting effects would be pretty neato, too. Maybe even a revisit to XP's clouds and fogs. Got that Maker a few months back, just to mess around with the RTP of it and to use the clouds and fogs in Ace legally. I love them. @.@

(tl;dr) RPG Maker is fun, it's easy to use, the community is filled with awesome and talented people.

TMS

Guy with Mask
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aside from that...probably to allow all tilesets to be accessible when making a map. I like to use a bunch of tiles from various sets for my maps, and it'd be easier in general if they could be accessed on a whim without putting together a new tileset each time I need stuff to be accessed from the same set. I use events to help fill out the area's of my maps, it'd be easier for newer users to do it if this were added in. Oh - and a built in editor for lighting effects would be pretty neato, too. Maybe even a revisit to XP's clouds and fogs. Got that Maker a few months back, just to mess around with the RTP of it and to use the clouds and fogs in Ace legally. I love them. @.@
I second all these suggestions.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
mostly I started RPG Maker when I really wanted to start making games at a young age (13 yrsold) Unlike other game engine RPG maker really is very convince for me to make a RPG style games without a bunch of programming a lot I have just need to include some other feature and not work on the whole RPG system unlike other game engine out there. I think why I also stick with RPG maker is because of the community and services friendliness unlike other game engine you only can buy the engine and nothing else. But with how you guys sell graphics, music packs and how convenience since the majority of what I need to implement the feature for the game is available for free or at a affordable price around the community and easy to install unlike other engine out there. Sure there some powerful engine like Unity and yoyo's game maker but unlike those two on my opinion it very hard to implement RPG function without breaking some feature that I may need. and how advance I have to work with to make the game on those two platform, RPG maker really cut my development time in the coding section in half then working on the coding and less on the story.

I think I would also like to thanks to the official distributor Degica on how you guys manage a official community unlike the old distributor where they just sell the software and nothing else. Like the XP and VX times I don't see any point on making games via RPG maker when I cannot come in contact with the official distributor community hub in the past which lose me an interest in making games before VX Ace release.

I kinda like what you guys will be doing in the future especially since the new RPG maker is around the corner too.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the same reason why I stayed modding warcraft III for years, because it is great and because of the greater community. A community of various people who wants to learn more and more each day, helping out each other to reach that goal. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PabloNeirotti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I definitely found value in RPG Maker. It has massive negatives (such as no Graphic Card Acceleration support, no multi language support, no cross platform support, limited window size, poor audio support, zero organization tools / DRY for medium or big size projects, poor IDE, and the list goes on...).

In spite of all that, I decided to build it with RPG Maker anyways. Mainly because:

• You can prototype games ridiculously fast. From the Map editor and out-of-box Inventory, Character, Battle mechanics, to the free assets and the wide range of plug and play Scripts. It takes less effort to do more (except UI related stuff).
  • Most of the engine code is exposed, meaning I can easily learn from it, extend it or modify it. That's huge.
  • It uses Ruby, my favorite language by far. This alienates me from Unity. Ruby also contributes to the fast prototyping point.
The first point specially, is critical for an indie developer. I am sure others will find the ease of use as the strong point instead, though. It has very good visual programming features.

T.Bit

Labyrinth Explorer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's the community. I feel like I'm a part of something with RPG Maker.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I design user interfaces for a living so I'm hypercritical about all the software I use. By far, RPGMaker (VX+Ace) has had the most intuitive, clever, and logical interfaces that I've seen from any other engine (in the face of large databases. I've seen some slick engines but they're too limited in what they can build to be included here, especially since customizing them is painful). Add to that easy customization of graphics and functions, and you have a really solid package. It kills me that there aren't porting or compiling options though. :(

I also don't think I've ever seen such a collaborative gaming community. Like, I've dug around on other engine's forums and such, and I've yet to see any of them reach the RPGM community's level of social collaboration. 

I kinda fell for the software, but stayed for the community. XD

JadenDew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Been with RPG Maker for long (5 years? More? I am not sure, my first maker is RMXP)

At first I love it because I can create a good game without effort. Also, there were many resources made by other RM users that can be put together to make a really beautiful game. I can't quite draw or compose music so that mattered a lot to me.

But with resources for RMXP having "died down" much compared to previous years, I had to move to RMVXAce. Moving wasn't too bad, the community and the quality of resource have grown with the release of the new engine.

Now, even though I can do some programming and create an engine similar to RPG Maker given time, that time would be a very long time.. Thus, I stick to using RPG Maker because a lot of essential "base" is covered. (Eg. Combat System, Item/Skills/Equipment/Inventory, A GUI for Mapping, Events). A few things bothered me, mainly because the essentials are there and changing them ranges from not possible to difficult (still getting used to scripting.. so this might not be an accurate gauge).

Back to resources (yes the presence of resources is very important to me xD) the store offers a range of quality assets. I find equal quality and consistency in artstyles much more difficult when hunting down resources outside the store, and store stuff are usually useable in RM engines only. Scripts from Yanfly, Luna Engine, and other talented scripters meant that I can cut down more development time. I do hope to see more resources released in the store in the future, so that future games I made would reuse less of the assets used in my current project.

All and all I look forward to see how the RM engine and community (and resources!) would develop in the future.

odinnightowl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
The community like most folks what keeps me around. Here is a place to not only share ideas but get feedback and tons of free assets. I could see a few changes that would make the engine better mainly the addition of a redo button and the ability to have more then 5 sets of tiles sets per map. (something like 8 is what i would need for one of my maps, easy fix if i parallax map) I hope for wonderful additons in the future and wll continue enjoying this software.

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This started back in elementary school I had a Game Boy Color with Pokémon Yellow. And since then the idea of wanting to make an RPG game got embedded in my head. It was not until somewhere in 2004 or 2005, browsing this website called the CastleVania Dungeon when I first found about RPG Maker. They were offering a download to a fangame made with RPG Maker 2000, and at first I was aiming to download the RTP in order to play the game... but then I thought... "why not give it a try?"

It was then when I got first started thanks to Don Miguel's translation of RPG Maker 2000, and later found RPG Maker 95, 2003 and XP as well (before it came out in the West). Even though I haven't formally made a game until now, I have experimented here and there, and aided others in their own projects.

So why RPG Maker over other engines? RPG Maker has been so far one of the best (if not the best) tool I've found out there. And I've even found alternatives like RPG Toolkit that, while they are functional and everything, none's been as intuitive.

Is there something I would love to see? It is unlikely this is in your plans, but an official translation for RPG Maker 95 and/or Sim RPG Maker 95 would be nice. Even if not as many of us use said engine anymore, it would probably make an interesting item to have in my library. And yes, I'd probably shell out my cash for them as well.

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I picked up VX Ace when it was on sale on Steam, when I had a couple weeks of downtime. Figured it would be a fun way to kill time.

Yeah I got hooked so hard it's ridiculous.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone, we are thankful for the awesome support the community has been providing us for the past few years.

If you would give me some of your time, what made you stay with RPG Maker for all these years? What particular features and community-related activities do you like? Is there something more that you would like to see from us? Your feedback and support is valuable!

Cheers everyone and I hope that we will have a glorious 2015 and future to come. 
Because RPG Maker is the superior program for cost, effectiveness and simplicity. You can be an absolute beginner or a veteran at game making. I always loved to see peoples magnificent creations with the software. When someone puts a lot of effort into a game, it can actually be commercial worthy. I first Started using RPG Maker 2003 and I loved it ever since and I always would say I wish they had a store where you can buy resources and use them commercially and what do you know here I am now. :)

The community is a major + for RPG Maker Software. I almost always get a response from someone who can do a commission request. This is a huge asset to the community and something I could not do without. I really don't have much complaints. I'm happy to be a part of this community and I hope it just gets bigger and more vibrant. :D

BeardBro

I think this line's mostly filler.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started using RMVX when it first came out in the US about 7-8 years ago. I've privately made 6 projects, each one geared around me learning a new mechanic or script with the engine. During that time, I also learned some Unity, FPSC, and a few other creation programs not worth mentioning. RMVX/RMVX Ace stands out when compared to those engines due to its straightforwardness, ease-of-use, and extensive customizability. The community plays a large part in this; in Unity, I had to go through extensive coding to implement a new feature. With RPG Maker, it's as easy as browsing the Scripts forum and finding something that suits my needs. It's really an unbelievably efficient system that makes it entirely possible for solo designers or small teams to conceptualize a game, prototype it, then bring it through the finish line - all using the RPG Maker program.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It all started for me with the Aurora toolset, for Neverwinter Nights, where I got my first shot at making a game. But it was kinda complex for me and I really wanted more to do a JRPG.

Then I found Don Miguel's Rm2k3. 

I build a huge universe, with several worlds spread along several maps. a huge cast of a 100 characters, an awesome epic story (or so I thought). As expected with such a scope, it never got finished. But already at this time I remember a community who was all about sharing not only resources, but also systems.

I then left the computer RPG world aside to focus my story building on pen and paper RPG But when I moved to another country I lost my gaming group. Still there was this craving for storytelling somewhere. 

And one day, bored on my laptop, I remembered RPG maker. Googled, found the latest iteration (Vx ace) and bought it almost without thinking. I found it an easy to work with program, and was amazed by the willingness of people to build up scripts or craft resources and share them freely. 

I took a long time before starting to interact on these forums, but I'm now attached to them because people are relatively open minded and ready to hear your ideas or discuss them and share their awesomeness. 

What I would like to see in the tool?

something for having a better resolution. this is the only thing Ace is missing for me, as whatever else I need, someone would have already done it. 

KenzoMe92

Lazy Maker
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi, awesome community, I've chosen RPG Maker because it was very easy to learn and to use correctly, I started with RMXP, in 2008, then i found RM 2000 on an italian magazine cd-rom, and tried it, failing with mapping, then VX was released and i tried to develop some test maps, without storyboard, only gameplay, then when was released VXAce, i tried also to create scripts, but my ones can't compete with the RPG Maker Web scripters ones, so i never pubblished my scripts here, when next RM will be released I'll try to do something better.

The community is perfectly funcional, and for what i have seen by myself, has very helpful users.

I would like to see in this community the possibility to write and read in my native language and automatically translated in your native language based on pc language

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Vehicle2 and SF_People2_8 added!
index.php

If I made an 8-bit-esque, dark fantasy tileset/graphics pack, would y'all be into that? Like, for Dark Souls demakes, Nintendo vampire wannabes, Castlevania ripoffs and such?

Working title: Alice's 8-bit Gothic. Do or not do? (Like do y'all even use 8-bit style graphics?)
I love editing things .
16b6a8abb5d27bf617d9b802cd5b868a.jpg

* Wall frames made with pencil photo and program photos, * Leaf and Pot, with cliché ideas of flowers
*bear on top of the closet belonging to the art of whtdragon lol.
No better feeling than part of a project just clicking into place without a single issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bansher