UNphiltered_khaos

Game Dev. Artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
N/A
sometimes, I honestly wonder how much influence Mary Jane has around this forum...The internet does not usually have room for kindness and generosity outside of the few *cough cough* forums where that kind of thing is appreciated...There was a thread on the other VXA site about just that and a few more users than I expected were talking about their creative process. lol

I like the fact that with a little bit of effort and resolve, I can crank out a pretty decent game. I have been working with RMVXA for about a year now (with a big long break since spring...) and while I do use RTP a bit, and they aren't top of the line, my first few projects have come out pretty damned good. I plan on moving away from RTP and using custom stuff once I feel I can make a good game, and have a solid grasp on the engine. Really hoping MV is nearly identical in operation to VX, because I really don't want to relearn a new system. I had ace kicking around for a while. I would open it up, get daunted/frustrated, and quit for another few months and try again. Last year, I just threw myself in and now that I have learned it, I don't want to learn another.

Cubic

Level 23 Thief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To be perfectly honest. I had just heard of RPG Maker VX Ace, (the first RM I have ever heard of,) after years of looking for a good program to start with (I was like 9/10). I told some Russian guy who was looking for someone to make him a game that he could play on his YouTube channel. I told him that I was planning to start making games. He sent me 300$ to make an RPG game. I started working on a game called "Eric's Quest." It was horrible, and very, very short. Only about 15 Minutes of gameplay. I sent the guy his money back (which I later found out he had gotten it illegaly.) 

I later reworked the game into "Dark Orders: Chapter | " It had about 2 hours of gameplay. I never finished it though, I also made tons of game drafts for fantasy games. I did this, never finishing anything, until the age of twelve. Where I started working on "Cross Realms" which is still in development to date. I plan to release it on November 10th of this year. 

So all in all, it really is  "Simple enough for a child" and "Powerful enough for a developer" 

AlexKristof

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I remember first falling in love with the old PS1 RPG Maker and until this software I've never found one that lets me so easily create good-quality games to share with friends. The built-in assets are a great start, but more importantly there is a thriving community of users here that are working to share scripts and resources. I've only just joined the forums a day or so ago, but the user community has been essential in helping me create something awesome.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well been using it since 1998 and imported at first before getting it on PSX. I have used all kinds of makers an know how to program but these days time and janky puters slow down work (losing $$ on pc repair ain't fun). I got sick of scrapping projects and RPGM was the easiest to realise my games. I can push the maker to the limit doing more than rpgs (^_^)

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
What made me stay on rpg maker is that it simply is the best tool to create a quality 2D rpg available. The only thing that I always pray for is even more graphical ressources but no complaining there :)

Regarding the forum well, it's the one and only rpg maker forum which is not turning into a Lion's den for any newbie coming with unexperienced question or their unexperienced project. Also the staff is friendly, everyone is helpful and you have access to much more useful ressources than anywhere else imo.

Also, here you have no whining when someone tries his luck at releasing a commercial rpg maker game unlike on some other (french) forums I won't name.

lazhiral

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
For me I believe there's much of a nostalgic feel. I've been using RPG Maker since the 2000 version, and I lost count of how many hours, days or years I've spent on it. In the beginning, what I liked the most was the easy way to manoeuvre things and how warm was my local comm. Nowadays we don't have an active local community anymore, but the ease while preparing the game and, mostly, the way graphics are easily customized by whoever wants it makes me stick with RPG Maker.

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My very first experience with RPG maker was actually a negative one - I got whatever maker it was that was released for the PS2 (I think - it was the second console one, may have been PS1). The idea of the PS network was just starting to take off, but wasn't really well adopted yet. What really killed it for me though was timing - it was released right after or alongside Neverwinter Nights for the PC.  Since commercial development wasn't on the table there was just no comparison at all for me between those two (and Neverwinter Nights was something I would recommend for someone who just wanted to get their feet wet making a simple little PC game for a long time, there are better game editors now, but that was the first really user friendly one).

Years later I started looking at game engines for more serious development.  The opening of Unreal and that huge wave hadn't started yet so I was looking at engines like C4 and Ogre when I found this. More importantly, I found games for sale that people were actually buying and giving good reviews for made with the engine (again, before the whole Steam Greenlight thing). So I jumped in with Ace and threw myself into it.  Got to a point where I needed to get my other skills up (like writing and storyboarding) so took some time away and did some learning, and then I find out MV was coming out with mobile, so here I am.

It's been a bumpy ride, but an overall positive one, even if I never make a dime. I do still plan on that, though (Man's gotta dream :) ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can the Eternal Dreamers finish off the final boss? We'll see!
Fekken kill me. I unknowingly swapped out two important events's codes and saved the game to test it. I'm just doing this for fun and the fun has now been replaced with excruciating torture.
Is this how game developers feel all the time?

EDIT:
WAIT HOLY S***
MY LAST POST ASKING FOR HELP ON AN EVENT ACTUALLY SAVED IT
OH MY GOD
Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
I was making a cutscene where Hero's dad got killed by the dragon but when he lose its say game over and send you to the tittle screen. How can remove game over for that cutscene
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charles2020