Why there are so many reboot games in these days?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nemo, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Nemo

Nemo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thief, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Super Mario series, etc. Too many reboot games in these days.

Well made reboot games are OK, but I always looking forward something new with new ip.

Why this happend to us?

thief_0.png

2. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is traditional risk management. It has the same logic as string of superhero movies we have (Spiderman, X-men, Ironman, Avengers, Captain America, etc. etc.).

The logic goes if we make a Captain America movie there will ALWAYS be some people who will pay to watch it. So you have a risk free customer base to help cover your costs. Same with games. If you do a Tomb Raider game there will always be people who will buy it so the studio will have some insurance when developing the game.

You can't blame the studios because maybe they make a multi-million dollar game over years and when it comes out it bombs. And then the company goes bankrupt. It happens.

bird, kaukusaki, Wavelength and 2 others like this.
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can't make a class-a-game today without a large investment, and that means loans.

The people loaning that money to the programmers/artists working on that game want not only their money back, they want some interests as well.

And if there is a game series that had sold well in the past, then there is a good chance that it will sell well again - so you have a better chance of getting a loan for a game that reboots a successful old game compared to starting a completely new idea.

That is also the reason why a lot of new game ideas use "retro-" or "pixel"-looks: those are a lot cheaper to do than high-class-graphics, meaning that indie-developers who don't get the loans have to use them to get their games out on limited budget.

kaukusaki, AwesomeCool and Nemo like this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've noticed this high trend towards reboots right now, and I think it has honestly led to me buying less video games than normal. This is especially true when I look at these reboots and find myself thinking "I already own this game. Why do I want to buy it again?". Now, if they can make enough changes to the idea in the game that it doesn't feel exactly like a game I bought 20 years ago, then sure, I might buy it. For instance, I bought and enjoyed the new Xcom. And I still like the old Xcom too. They are different enough that they feel like different games with the same overall plot. Tomb Raider is another remake I bought, but that was because I never played the originals.

However, I have noticed more and more that these reboots and/or remakes are getting lazier and lazier. Just taking a 20+ year old game and putting new graphics on it is not going to convince me to part with $59.99 (or whatever you decide to ask for it). For that price I'll stick to the early 90's graphics, thank you very much.

5. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's like Hollywood, people lacking new and fresh ideas so they reboot usually successful franchises, mainly to get more money. Their philosophy is: if it was good back then now it can be even better (especially with modern technology)!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
  6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To a large extent it's like @watermark and others said - like Hollywood, the cost to develop a AAA media keeps growing, so studios are less willing to take "risks" on new IP and would rather take the safe bet of following up on a known success.

However, in the case of video games, I think your argument is somewhat mistaken.  Look back at the Atari or NES libraries.  Among them you'll find some sequels/"remakes" (several different Super Mario games on the NES for example), lots of games with no IP whatsoever (such as "checkers" or "soccer"), and tons of crappy "licensed" games that were there for no other reason than to cash in on a hot commodity.  I'd much rather have Zelda XXXVII than a crappy cash-grab made in six weeks to coincide with the release of ET or Home Alone 2 or Finding Dory!

Combined with the huge number of interesting, unique, and sometimes very good indie games you can find on Steam, I think the gaming landscape right now is much better than a lot of us give it credit for!

AwesomeCool and Nemo like this.
  7. Kino

Kino EIS Game Dev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Easier to make a reboot than to make a new IP. Although, moving a really old IP to the newest generation can be hard, if the IP gets change a lot on update. When making a new IP you have to put a lot of trust into people liking your stuff, especially for a large company.

People do want new IPs, but having people work on those is kind of hard, considering for a AAA company it may not pan out; it may not result in the best sales. This is even more important, for companies that make consoles on top of their games. The IP has to sell the console; if it doesn't you're even more in the red.

But, I can definitely say you can find more variety these days in games when you factor in Indie games too. Triple AAAs can make your next sequel, let the indies make a couple of the more interesting IPs you might see for the year. After all, new things usually comes out of limitation and failure. @Nemo

8. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Wavelength - I think it is more of people wanting AAA  games (the size, scope and graphics of them at least) that are more diverse than our current offerings.

I actually agree that gaming is better now do to indie games, but indie games tend to be small in scope.

kaukusaki and Nemo like this.
  9. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which of course, these people have no idea what made the originals so good in the first place.

consolcwby and kaukusaki like this.
  10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog

I think this is more of for remakes, not reboots. That is based on my understanding that reboot is taking an old title and making something "new" out of it (like the DMC reboot when they remade Dante into this new non-dante looking guy with a seemingly "different" storyline), while remake is like (what I think so far) is being done to FF VII which is basically the same game just with "cooler" graphics.

I think another reason is that it can be like hitting two birds with one stone

1) You get old players to play it because of NOSTALGIA

2) You can possibly get more new players since the oldies will talk non-stop about it

So you get both old and new gamers as your market while not needing to think of something really new. Plus free marketing from the oldies, YAY!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
    kaukusaki likes this.
  11. Perr_

Perr_ Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Nowadays it is hard to success by a little investment. Most of games that get great success are the games which the company invested more than million dollars. It is hard to hope "only one success through lots of games"

So the companies stopped launching new series and stucked into making sequels of already-succeed games.

I think it is not a good clue... :headshake:

kaukusaki likes this.
  12. Internetomancer

Internetomancer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think part of it is selling to a new generation of gamers.  If you're 14 years old, then you have no reason to have Tomb Raider (or whatever) on your computer.

And if you're not a gaming connoisseur, you probably won't go digging through 90's GOG just to find some VGA graphics action game that your dad likes.

So why not just remake?

Also a ton of indy Kickstarter projects seem to be "what if we remade that game that I loved when I was a kid, but also with ...?"  Those often go extremely well (eg. Stardew Valley) and sometimes they go okay "eg. Shadow Run, Wasteland 2"

Either way, I think it's beside the point.  This is truly a Golden Age for Indy game development, and all the Call of Duty's in the world won't stop us from developing beautiful things.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2016
    kaukusaki likes this.
  13. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Remakes and reboots are all about the money, as everyone else has said. New games are too risky to invest in, hence you hardly see a new title from the AAA companies. Mainly smaller developers and indies are the only times you see new stuff come about. If you have an awesome idea, why not you create it yourself? The only thing stopping you is time lolz

14. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's a good investment. The kids who grew up during the decades those old games were popular are now adults capable of making their own financial decisions. Nostalgia is a huge resource to tap into. Why risk everything making something new when you are pretty much guaranteed a smash hit?

kaukusaki and aqua like this.
  15. aqua

aqua Veteran Veteran

Ahh, it's interesting to read everyone's idea on the 'why' factor. Haha. I really loved the Tomb Raider reboot and am pretty dayum happy about FF7 being remade... For me, especially in regards to FF7, it's really thrilling to think that a game I was playing since I was really small is going to be refreshed with the kickass graphics of today? (Though, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd still be forever happy even if they never decided to remake it. ;;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  16. Fungii

Fungii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    TBH I'm fine with reboots, but then again nothing I'm particularly fond of has had a reboot yet. I'm getting a little bored of the HD remasters though, the PS3 had a handful of collected trilogies from the PS2 era, now it's like every other boxed release we get on next gen is "we upscaled the graphics pls buy it again thx"

Then again I'm prolly gonna buy the FF12 redo so I'm just a big ol' hypocrite.

17. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

These are two major reasons; look at the in progress Final Fantasy VII remake. There is a whole group of gamers that weren't exposed to this game; to them its a relic of the past. It can mean a bunch of new consumers if they re-release it as a game that appeals to them. Not to mention some consumers might have moved on from the franchise and thus they need to continually try to bring in new ones. Bringing in new ones coupled with the still loyal remaining consumers can add up to a big win.

18. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is a subject that I've discussed with my sister in great lengths, and I do agree that sometimes, a remake or a reboot isn't necessary, yet, the company does it anyway.  There is, also, times when the company will throw a game onto a disk, when something should be done to the game, upgrading the textures, remaking it or updating it in some way.  I will come up with some examples to my point  Shadowgate is a game that was remade, several times as a matter of fact and the latest version was released on Steam.  It is amazing. There are also games that they just put onto a website, a disk and re-released it without even touching the game up.  That upsets me just as much as a worthless reboot.  Now, we can discuss what we think of as worthless reboots, remakes from now, until the end of time, but the most important part is why we are here to begin with.

The fact that many gamers are narrow minded these days when it comes to games, from graphics, game play and star studded voice overs.  But the truth is that when gamers start to purchase odd ball, other genres and expand their gaming, the industry will change.  o_o' Not fast enough.  As to the subject of the topic, yeah, I do understand when a series is rebooted and you hate it, because you like it before.  I love Star Trek, HATED AND LOATHED the reboot from the actors to the entire dimwitted story line that went with it.  I am a geek, a nerd and loved Star Trek before the reboot, because of the science, the characters and.... You get the point.  It took everything that I loved about the series and pretty much tossed it out of the window.  The only thing you can do is to, either buy new IPs when they come out, or make your own games.  But I do know how a lot of people feel about reboots, because I feel it, at many points.

kaukusaki likes this.
  19. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think these answers are over-complicating the matter...

The reason so many reboot games are made these days is because people buy them. If people would stop buying them, you would force the companies to take risks. If they fail, that's business. They shouldn't put all their money into shyt. You have to take risks to advance. After Squaresoft bought Enix, they lost the most meaningful competition, and now...junk, with few exceptions. More and more of those exceptions are studios that are financially(not 100% sure about this) backed by SquEnix.

I blame the consumers for being enablers. The companies are just pushing out what the people want.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  20. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    People talk about all the oddball indie titles and how so much better, why can't AAA do oddball titles but big, look how good the indie ones are doing! I just...

Look, yes, some of the oddball ideas work. And they get big. But how many just roll over and die when released? When you've invested thousands into a game, and it rolls over and dies, that sucks. When you've invested MILLIONS, that is potentially career ending.

So what we get is a lot of four things: Continuations of existing IPs, reboots of existing IPs, uses of IPs outside of Video Gaming, and re-implementations/polishing up of popular mechanics.

I mean, look at the biggest and the hottest new online games:

League of Legends is just a re-implement of DotA/DotA2 style/mechanics.

Overwatch is just a re-implement of Team Fortress 2 style/mechanics.

Now, they are both good at what they do, but they aren't super original.

And honestly, I think people need to stop looking at just the genres they don't like (everyone calls out Call of Duty and Madden, but you know, if you don't like the genre why do you care?)... I'm just tired of the "oh it is a sequel/reboot/reimagining it has to be bad" attitude. The big companies can still do interesting things, even within the "safe" zone of existing IPs.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE was fantastic, despite being SMT + Fire Emblem

Final Fantasy Type-0 did a lot of interesting stuff.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was amazing (especially the Director's Cut, and I'm really looking forward to playing Mankind Divided)
    The new XCOMs are SERIOUSLY solid games.

etc. etc. etc.

Do I wish there were more new AAA IPs? Yeah. But am I more hyped to hear that Nier Automata is coming? Yeah, absolutely.

EDIT: And also, it isn't like we are getting NO new IPs. Horizon Zero Dawn looks fantastic...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016