Why VN?

Discussion in 'VNMaker Support' started by MRHAPPYFACEMAN, May 16, 2018.

1. MRHAPPYFACEMAN

MRHAPPYFACEMAN Story Writer and Plot Development Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    I hope this doesn't come out as obnoxious, but I am using MV right now for my VN I am making and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't see the need to use this engine. What makes VN maker better than MV for making visual novels?

2. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    VNM is made to work as a VN maker by default. MV has to be manipulated more. Also VN maker has plenty of features by default that require plugins in MV. ^^

3. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, VN reminds me more of an easier/more intuitive snake - whatever you use to make your project is completely up to you and really depends on your level of understanding/comfort with an engine anyways.

4. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hope you don't mind me throwing my perspective your way.
    I have both MV and VNM (Though I've used VX Ace more then MV). From what I can tell, from a beginners point of view VN is the better choice for making a VN unless you intend to have rpg elements.
    Like mentioned you need other stuff to do it in MV and I feel that can be overwelming for a novice game maker like myself.
    I may come to prefer MV for it one day when I'm more skilled, but so far I find VN much more custimizable in look of ui and other features that I feel would require way more understanding to do in MV.

Not to mention that drag the character around feature is great for me, that was a big seller. I hate figuring out coordinates for images :kaoluv:

I think when more plug-ins come out, VN maker will come to be an even more interesting tool, but it hasn't been out long enough to have the community resource level of MV or Vx ace, but it might in due time.

Also way back when I was in highschool I learned to use Alice and Scratch which both have a similar drag and drop codes thing that VNM has which is a comforting sight for me personally and may be for others as well compared to RPG maker's format.

Overall, I can't compare on a technical level, but from the novice point of view I can see why VNM would be desirable.
    Some of the people I've seen interested in it don't seem to be big RPG Maker users, but instead people who had been using those other VN softwares...which from what I've seen are kind of awkward. :kaoswt2:

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Can you save in the middle of the dialogue in RMMV?
    How strong are your RMMV VN Options? Can you control what you can skip and what you can't?

If you can't do that then you already have an issue with your VN readers. If you already did it via scripting then really, it's just preference at this point.

cabfe likes this.