Widows of the Vampyr : IGMC entry download available [Video Trailer just added]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by VoxPopuli, Jul 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. VoxPopuli

VoxPopuli WatchFire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Submitted for your approval is my contest entry for the 2014 IGMC.

The contest page where the game is downloadable is at the following link: Widows of the Vampire

Direct link to Widows of the Vampyr game download

Just added: Widows of the Vampyr Cutscene and Teaser Trailer.

*** Those who play the game will eventually enter the Dreaded Underground Passage of Invisible-Ness. Some have breezed through it (all areas are passable and accessible), others have scratched their heads in wonderment exclaiming "Huh?!". Never fear, I've created a spoiler section below that offers helpful hints if needed, and upon request I will do a Let's Play walkthrough of the Dreaded Underground Passage of Invisible-Ness ***

[​IMG]

See the new and patented "Bat-Spoilers" section below toward bottom of post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 05July2014: added Character Bios, Credits, and a Spoilers-within-a-Spoilers section (for the Dreaded Underground Passage of Invisible-Ness).

Description: Widows of the Vampyr is a family-friendly serio-comic romp spanning several centuries, featuring such exotic locales as Transylvania, a tricky "Underground Passage of Invisible-Ness", the Ruins of Crowsford Abbey, Ravenswode Forest and London. I hope you enjoy!

Note: this page will soon be expanded with screenshots, a cutscene trailer video, and other shameless promotional features :)

I just wanted to get the link out there (especially since it was uploaded just before the deadline and does not have any images or descriptions on the contest download page).

I hope you will check it out and give me any and all feedback. All comments -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- will be graciously accepted since I'm a newbie with the RPG Maker application and I've learned a lot from all the knowledgeable folks inĀ this greatĀ gamemaking community (needless to say, I need to learn a lot more).

[​IMG]

Hieronymous Xylander: the main protagonist. Psychic sage who is recruited by his mentor, Professor Archibald Collinsworth, to lead a party to track down the nefarious Vampyrii elite, Baron Cezar Diavolescu. The mission is made more challenging when it is learned that the vampiric Baron Cezar has three brides that the party of adventurers need contend with!

Daria: an energetic, down to earth monk, who is given more to rabble-rousing than meditation.

Clarissa: the cleric with the pre-requisite healing touch.

Kyuzo: the samurai with the sharp wit and even sharper sword.

Professor Archibald Collinsworth: scholar, sensei, inventor, AND vampyr hunter.

Baron Cezar Diavolescu: the arch-villain of this tale.

Zylphia, Selena and Almyra: the three brides and widows ... the game reveals their characters and hidden pasts!

[​IMG]

Images of main characters with Vampire Bat windowscreen

[​IMG]

The Nefarious Baron Diavolescu

Note: images of the Widows of the Vampyr in main body of posting
    [​IMG]

Graphics

Celianna

Lunaera

RTP

Enterbrain

Vox Populi

Music

DesperateMeasurez

Scythuz

Davey Brite RPG

Quigon

Joel Steudler

Scripts

Yanfly

Yami

Modern Algebra

Galv
    [​IMG]

Spoiler-Lite: after Ravenswode Forest and just before you reach the Ruins of Crowsford Abbey crypt you encounter the Dreaded Underground Passage of Invisible-Ness. This is based on old-time vintage RPGs where the player is, without warning or explanation, suddenly thrust into a seemingly impassable area where all passability modes are invisible (i.e. unseen ladders, doors, transporter squares, bridges, etc.). Never fear though this can be completed.

If more information proceed to Spoiler-within-a-Spoiler -- and after that, if you'd like more help, please contact me and I can provide a map or a walkthrough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  2. VoxPopuli

First Language:
    English
    Updated OP above with the new, patented ( :) ) feature Bat-Spoilers and also added character bios and credits.

3. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Since nobody else has posted i will. I think you did a very good job, and made the best use of resources, i don't like vampire games, so i won't play this though it looks like other people will have a fun time playing this.

4. VoxPopuli

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for your feedback, I've put a response in the spoiler below to expand on the "vampire games" aspect of your post. This game is not what it appears to be (even from the trailer), or perhaps more than what it appears to be.

The reason the information is in a spoiler is so that people who want to try the game will not be influenced by the minimal information it contains. :)

Anyway, please check out the spoiler. If it changes your mind and you play the game, I'd very much like to hear your review on it.

Regardless, thanks again for your post, much appreciated!

Is this a "vampire game"?

Answer in spoiler:

(note to others: if you are planning to play this game you might not want to read):

This game is really just a traditional RPG. The big bad meanie, Baron Cezar Diavolescu, is just the vampire villain. No vampiric activity really takes place (no bloodsucking sequences, etc.). It's more of a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the old Universal horror classics and silent films, and it also has references to Hollywood musicals and classic comedies. The heroes are warm-blooded living humans (as much as possible as they are computer generated sprites), and there is no focus on vampires except for finding this boss and disposing of him in the grand old traditional RPG way. As for the Widows, well -- there's also no vampiric activity involving them either -- they are just part of a surprise ending.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  5. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV