Wierd battle skill idea

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Oddball, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When the player selects the skill, a shop menu pops up, and the can buy an item mid-battle. Used with a common event and the "Shop processing" in the event page. It would be a different list of items than in a normal shop. I guess flavorwise, the battler turns gold into items, or maybe their a "merchant" class

atoms and Project CROSS like this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Oddball Could you make more explicit what the actual design discussion point it? At the moment this just reads like an announcement.

Oddball likes this.
  3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If the item is immediately used, it's practically the same as using MP to cast a skill.

If the item is only brought to the inventory, it seems like too slow of a mechanic to use since it'd take 2 commands to use the thing you want to use.

4. ScientistWD

ScientistWD Innocuous Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe that Bravely Second has a "Merchant" class that does this exact thing.
    I always thought it was interesting, if not a little quirky. Give it a shot.

5. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not going to use it. I was just thinking of skill ideas if i ever try my hand at an rpg again and that was one of the stranger ones. Maybe to make it stranger, it deals damage to a target and the item selection depends on the enemy hit

6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think I've seen this in one or two games (though not RPG Maker games, since I don't think the default Shop scene can be opened mid-battle).

It's a nice little quality-of-life touch to be able to buy consumables in a pinch, in case you've underprepared or run out. In a game with "Chronic" challenge (where the main way you can fail is to run out of resources over the course of a dungeon), this would be very powerful and you should be careful about implementing it.

If you want to get really wacky, you could have the selection of items offered be based on the troop you're fighting. This would turn the mechanic into not only an emergency way to buy consumables, but also a global mechanic for finding rare items that the player can interact with by seeking out all different types of troops and seeing what kinds of items come up in the shop when they use the Shop-In-Battle skill.

atoms likes this.
  7. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm just throwing out random skill idea's to hopefully inspire people

This would actually be a bit better than what i suggested in the reply above yours

atoms likes this.
  8. Black Pagan

Black Pagan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know, I'm not a fan of Slow Battles. I would much prefer if the Battle System somehow gave me a Random Item instead and displayed it as an Icon and name while in Mid Battle, While using that skill. To me, Purchasing things mid battle doesn't seem realistic.

I mean, sure it is going to be fun for some time but after a couple of times it gets boring and repetitive and player will probably lose the interest in the battle.

9. ImaginaryVillain

ImaginaryVillain Spawned by Galv Forum Spawner Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If opening the shop to buy something took that actor's turn, it would at least be a bit different than a Magic spell.

Or if you want to get fancy (and a bit weird), you could have them buy an item that gives them a skill. Then make it if they use the skill it does a powerful spell and unlearns the skill, or is lost at the end of the battle. Then the fun part is you could keep letting them buy items to make a more powerful skill, and finally just have them "Exodia" whatever mobs they're facing.

Please note, I'm not saying you should do this... But if you do, give it an over the top animation, and populate your world with cute woodland critters I can fight... I will be obligated to play it. Nothing more amusing than a gross misuse of power.

10. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Yeah, the two main issues here are: It's potentially clunky (which can be fine depending on the frequency you're doing this; I assume you aren't forced to buying a single item with every Shop call so that's kind of a non-issue most of the time.) And it's potentially useless (since you're "wasting" your turn.)

However, I can see that being very interesting! If, for example, the shop selection is dependant on which area you're in, it can make for a fun way to acquire rare stuff. Even moreso, especially if the item itself to call such a shop is (at least initially) rare, it'll feel less like "what a chore to have to do this" and more like "YAY I found a shop item! I wonder what sort of rare items will I find in this dungeon's shop? But, do I want to use it now, or later when I have more gold? I wonder when I'll find one of these again?) etc. (the latter question has potential for frustration, perhaps it'd be wise to assure the player they will come across more shop items, but only sparely.)

But yeah, it really depends on implementation.

atoms likes this.