Wiggly/Shaky Text Help

pastellixs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I'm using a script that allows me to make text in message boxes shake, but for some reason, the effects from the script also change the font. It seems to be squished down and blurry. Someone else stated the same problem in this thread too: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/vibrating-trembling-text.91984/
I'm not sure why this is happening. Can anyone help? The script should be in that thread as well for anyone wondering.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
That's WEIRD! The script has no mention of the bitmap.font.name method so it should be using the default method or what's been set to Font.default_name .

bitmap.font = self.contents.font

That would be the closest it ever gets to the bitmap.font but it just copies the font used by Window_Message so it should NOT change the font name itself at all.

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe the problem with the script is this line:
Code:
bitmap.draw_text(0, 0, 10, pos[:height], c)
in process_anim_character. I think there's a similar line in process_name. I didn't read the one he was using for emojis very carefully.

The parameters to that function are draw_text(atX, atY, textWidth, textHeight). You'll notice the script is passing in 10 for the width, which I think is too small. The underlying text rendering will automatically squish text to fit if you try and draw it in a rectangle that's too small, which is my guess as to what's happening here. Further, I've noticed that the underlying text renderer really seems to want a rectangle that's a few pixels larger than the value returned by text_size, for reasons that I could never explain.

Anyway, complicated explanations aside, I think if you replace the 10 with text_width+2, you'll go from something like this:

1596561290437.png

to this:

1596561301218.png

Which is right, I think... this script plays with text positioning in the box, but I think that's the same as my game without the script:

1596561361745.png

I didn't test it, but I'd expect a similar fix would work for the name function.

All this said, this text animation script is super cool :) Maybe'll I'll make use of it too!

pastellixs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh my gosh, thank you so much. This script is really cool, can't wait to use it :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Suddenly arrived to work and got the pink slip on a contract O_O wait, did i forget something??? (sobbing in corner rn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mordei