Wiggly/Shaky Text Help

pastellixs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I'm using a script that allows me to make text in message boxes shake, but for some reason, the effects from the script also change the font. It seems to be squished down and blurry. Someone else stated the same problem in this thread too: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/vibrating-trembling-text.91984/
I'm not sure why this is happening. Can anyone help? The script should be in that thread as well for anyone wondering.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
That's WEIRD! The script has no mention of the bitmap.font.name method so it should be using the default method or what's been set to Font.default_name .

bitmap.font = self.contents.font

That would be the closest it ever gets to the bitmap.font but it just copies the font used by Window_Message so it should NOT change the font name itself at all.

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe the problem with the script is this line:
Code:
bitmap.draw_text(0, 0, 10, pos[:height], c)
in process_anim_character. I think there's a similar line in process_name. I didn't read the one he was using for emojis very carefully.

The parameters to that function are draw_text(atX, atY, textWidth, textHeight). You'll notice the script is passing in 10 for the width, which I think is too small. The underlying text rendering will automatically squish text to fit if you try and draw it in a rectangle that's too small, which is my guess as to what's happening here. Further, I've noticed that the underlying text renderer really seems to want a rectangle that's a few pixels larger than the value returned by text_size, for reasons that I could never explain.

Anyway, complicated explanations aside, I think if you replace the 10 with text_width+2, you'll go from something like this:

1596561290437.png

to this:

1596561301218.png

Which is right, I think... this script plays with text positioning in the box, but I think that's the same as my game without the script:

1596561361745.png

I didn't test it, but I'd expect a similar fix would work for the name function.

All this said, this text animation script is super cool :) Maybe'll I'll make use of it too!

pastellixs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh my gosh, thank you so much. This script is really cool, can't wait to use it :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Diary ---

M.Mage: It's the F.Mage's Diary. While she isn't here,i can read it.

May, 10: I'm hurt after the battle with the Minotaur. But luckily,F.Healer heal me with her Heal-2. That why,i Fall in Love with her.

M.Mage: Eh???
So... some of my Desktop hardware has kicked it apparently (still trying to figure out what and how at the moment :/ ) .... yay?
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Animalblack