Will a Platformer/turn based RPG work?

plasmablade13

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm making an RPG that has the same game play as a turn based RPG, but has the same structure as many N64 era platformers such as Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Donkey Kong 64. The elements of the platformers include collecting 100 macguffins, coming back for some of what you missed at anytime, and what people like about RPG's, exploration. But as the title says, will it work? RPG'S usually have a linear story and the game I'm taking inspiration from, have little to no story.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Isn't that the whole set up of most of Mario's RPG's?

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is the core gameplay mechanic going to be rpg battles or platforming? Those are very strong by themselves, and one risks overshadowing the other very easily.

plasmablade13

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Isn't that the whole set up of most of Mario's RPG's?
Not exactly, Because it's still set up a bit linear like most RPG's. You go to one world, you solve the puzzle, then you go to the dungeon and solve puzzles there, and then you beat the boss, and get the macguffin, and you go to the next world in the order the game wants you to. But there are a bit of sidequests.

Here are the elements I intend to borrow from platformers.

-The main hub world is a castle where they some how managed to fit entire worlds in there like Banjo Kazooie.

-You have to defeat a boss to get a key, that would unlock multiple worlds. Like Donkey Kong 64.

-But like the other Rareware N64 platformers, you need a certain amount of items to unlock the world.

-You don't have to get all of them to beat the game. But if you're a completionist, you're mind wants you to have a complete set. (And you should because I plan to have something very special after 100%)

The elements I borrow from RPG's are

-an actual story

-Cutscenes after a boss key is collected like Kingdom Hearts Chain of memories

-turn based gameplay

-party members (though DK 64 is like that too)

Curia Chasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Is the core gameplay mechanic going to be rpg battles or platforming? Those are very strong by themselves, and one risks overshadowing the other very easily.
Not necessarily. Remember that he's just replacing moving around the map with platforming. Since you have to make players travel somehow from point A to B -> this will not affect battles. They are handled separately so they might work out. 

Then again - it all comes down to execution here. All Mario RPGs worked out well after all, but you can screw it up if you don't learn from them. 

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's no reason it wont, although I wouldn't use Mario as a prime example, as It's a meh series of RPGs, virtually not worth mentioning(they are basically baby'e first RPGs).

However I would use Mana Khermai as a prime example. You can even easily do semi 3D with RPG maker, since semi 3D Isn't really 3D at all, It's about the mapping style/tricks you use(aka a background/forground mapping style)

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not necessarily. Remember that he's just replacing moving around the map with platforming. Since you have to make players travel somehow from point A to B -> this will not affect battles. They are handled separately so they might work out. 

Then again - it all comes down to execution here. All Mario RPGs worked out well after all, but you can screw it up if you don't learn from them.
Yeah, but none of the Mario RPGs are side-view platformers. Super Paper Mario is technically an action RPG-platformer-thingy.

They were JRPGs first, with platform elements second.

plasmablade13

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, but none of the Mario RPGs are side-view platformers. Super Paper Mario is technically an action RPG-platformer-thingy.

No, I'd rather not compare it to that game. I don't hate Super Paper Mario, but I'm not making it a sidescroller.

Curia Chasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses

Bowser's Inside Story was a Side-View platformer. 

When in the world - it has an izometric view. 

When inside Bowser - It was Side-View. 

And still a jRPG. I'd say this game has a lot to offer when you analyze it from a design perspective. 

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, but how well received was it? Did the side-view platforming feel like an essential part of the core gameplay, or did it feel tacked on? Did it feel like something that kept you from doing battles or exploring the maps?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I personally was counting the Paper Mario series when I was talking about all the Mario RPG's. The point isn't if the story is the same as yours, the point is mechanics and if they function well and balance together. Whether or not it's "Baby's first RPG" has no real bearing in this situation. There are things to learn from a game that has done a similar thing to what you plan, good or bad, and if it's successful it's important to try to figure out why it's successful. Creating something with no knowledge of how other people solved the same problems you'll be coming up against is silly, it means you won't be aware of possible existing standards, it means you'll likely make the same mistakes that have been made before when you didn't have to, it means you have less inspiration when coming up with ways to implement your idea. You don't have to play these games all the way through to get this, just long enough to get a fair idea of the actual mechanics of the system and the clever ways they use to break it up so it doesn't get repetitive.

Curia Chasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Yeah, but how well received was it? Did the side-view platforming feel like an essential part of the core gameplay, or did it feel tacked on? Did it feel like something that kept you from doing battles or exploring the maps?
I probably would just suggest playing it, but not everyone owns a DS and a copy of the game. Yet if you were considering a new game for the DS - this one is worth a buy if you wish to study it.

You see - Mario RPGs do something unique with their platforming. They use it to create skill based puzzles for the player to solve. Enemies walking around the stage can be hit with a hammer or jumped on (in true Mario fashion) to gain an advantage in the turn based battle system. The battle system itself is also based over active commands. You have to choose the jump attack - and press A right at the moment you land on the enemy to do big damage. However when enemies attack - you can avoid damage and even counterattack by jumping at the right time or defending yourself with the hammer. 

The puzzles are also accompanied by a lot of minigames. If you wish to see some of them - you can probably find a let's play of it on YouTube. 

So to answer your question - the platforming and RPG mechanics were meshed together very well. They encouraged exploration, made battles fun instead of grindy and overall it was an enjoyable Mario Game experience. I would suggest at least watching a video to see some of the puzzles and try analyzing why the designers chose certain actions over others. 

EDIT:

I personally was counting the Paper Mario series when I was talking about all the Mario RPG's. The point isn't if the story is the same as yours, the point is mechanics and if they function well and balance together. Whether or not it's "Baby's first RPG" has no real bearing in this situation. There are things to learn from a game that has done a similar thing to what you plan, good or bad, and if it's successful it's important to try to figure out why it's successful. Creating something with no knowledge of how other people solved the same problems you'll be coming up against is silly, it means you won't be aware of possible existing standards, it means you'll likely make the same mistakes that have been made before when you didn't have to, it means you have less inspiration when coming up with ways to implement your idea. You don't have to play these games all the way through to get this, just long enough to get a fair idea of the actual mechanics of the system and the clever ways they use to break it up so it doesn't get repetitive.

This is so true that I had to edit my post just to say I agree with you. 

Last edited by a moderator:

plasmablade13

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, it seems it can work well. Thanks guys! Oh and I have played enough Mario RPG's like Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Now the next question is, will the mechanics work physically on RPG Maker? I'm sure I can change the keyboard controls, but can I program it well into the game? As I said, the game is more like Banjo Kazooie RPG or Donkey Kong 64 RPG.

Curia Chasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Can you do it? Yes.

Will it be easy? It will not. 

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Again, Extra Credits delivers:

Cosmicrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
We have platforming RPg's and no talk of The Nintendo DS castlevania line!!!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Creating 3D CGs for Cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I keep wanting to post every song I make for the game and have to hold back on that because at this rate, I'll have spoiled all the really good stuff lol..
DerniBorges wrote on TSR's profile.
Is there any way this plugin works with the big character, and the QSprite plugin? Using RTP chars, everything works fine, but the big ones, with QSprite, it's like that in the image, it doesn't reflect right. And there is, in the settings, an option to fix it. Thanks.
bug2.png
Bengawan Solo with fantasy style arrangement. :D
So I just got my computer back (Was posting stuff on my phone) But now my dang monitor's broken! I'll need to get a new one, which means... JOBS! Yaaay... When I get a new monitor, I'll post picture of one of my RPGMMV projects.
Wish me luck... :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisyiscute