jjleroy

I love bananas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I would like my game to run smoothly on mobile and PC... I finished most of the framework, which works nice on my mobile and PC, however I do use a lot of plugins, and I wanted to ask if someone is proficient with analysing memory usage.

When I play my game, the CPU it takes of my PC varies between 20-30% and memory around 600MB.

TPTRPrb.png

Is this normal, or will other devices (mobile + PC) have problems?

If yes, what is probably the reason why it takes too much memory and how can I prevent it?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To answer the question in the title, no, not literally.

But, MOG plugins usually are not optimized. I guess, if you want it for the mobile device, avoid MOG plugins.

jjleroy

I love bananas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To answer the question in the title, no, not literally.

But, MOG plugins usually are not optimized. I guess, if you want it for the mobile device, avoid MOG plugins.
thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately I don't really have an alternative for about 4-5 MOG plugins, so I'll have to stick to them and hope it will work out...

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in case you use SRD plugins, some of those dont play nice on mobiles and web as well,
some might do, but web is worse as for mobile, it depends :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what a lot of new developers ignore is the fact that everything that is done by the computer requires resources - and it is the task of the develper to keep an eye on that and simply not add features that cost more resources than available on the target machine.
And if that limit is broken, then it's the choice of the developer to either remove the feature or to raise the minimum requirements for the game - which is the reason why all game always list their minimum requirements.

The rumor of RMMV being not good at mobile exports is false and comes from such new developers that ignore this and push in features into their game until even a high-end-computer has problems running the game without lag - and then are so idiotic to expect RMMV to magically change that project into something that can run on a low-end-mobile device.

You can easily use RMMV to develop for mobiles - but only if you keep the limitations of mobiles (low RAM etc)in mind while developing the game.
And sadly, very few plugins are written by professionals who know how to optimize RAM-Usage for mobiles, most plugin writers are hobbyists and their plugins are simply unable to be used on mobiles without lagging.

your values are a bit high for mobile use, but not extremely - and for PC use they are rather on the low end, Ive seen games with much worser requirements (unless that 20% is of a top-state-of-the-art-computer).

jjleroy

I love bananas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what a lot of new developers ignore is the fact that everything that is done by the computer requires resources - and it is the task of the develper to keep an eye on that and simply not add features that cost more resources than available on the target machine.
And if that limit is broken, then it's the choice of the developer to either remove the feature or to raise the minimum requirements for the game - which is the reason why all game always list their minimum requirements.

The rumor of RMMV being not good at mobile exports is false and comes from such new developers that ignore this and push in features into their game until even a high-end-computer has problems running the game without lag - and then are so idiotic to expect RMMV to magically change that project into something that can run on a low-end-mobile device.

You can easily use RMMV to develop for mobiles - but only if you keep the limitations of mobiles (low RAM etc)in mind while developing the game.
And sadly, very few plugins are written by professionals who know how to optimize RAM-Usage for mobiles, most plugin writers are hobbyists and their plugins are simply unable to be used on mobiles without lagging.

your values are a bit high for mobile use, but not extremely - and for PC use they are rather on the low end, Ive seen games with much worser requirements (unless that 20% is of a top-state-of-the-art-computer).
Thank you, that was very insightful!

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Yes I agree with this, and also many plugin writers simply do not consider mobile when writing, as they themselves probably only create desktop games.

There are some simple things you can do for mobile games with huge payoffs, one very important one is optimizing images. Note that I don't mean compress, as that saves on disk size but not memory (because it still has to be uncompressed to display). Things like shrinking to the correct size, selectively removing color pallette, etc. which there are many free resources that can do that.

Other things might be harder, for example if you do a Show Picture which has a few frames of lag you might be tempted to use a Preloader plugin. You may think it "solves" the issue but really it's creating more issues because now the image is loaded into memory when the game starts even if it's never used. With many images being preloaded, this fills up RAM fast.

The best way is a smart cache management system, for example if you have a Show Text and then a Show Picture, a smart way would be to cache the image before the Show Text so that it's ready (then un-cache it after it's not needed anymore). This is difficult of course and requires a lot of work which is why people don't do it, however, smart resource caching is essential to a well-optimized game.

This is an example of why they say the 2 hard problems in computer science are: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-1 errors.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

New profile picture! This time, it's representative of my current project.
I suddenly feel like making a game for little kids: a pointless sandbox of cute animals, silly collectibles, and random mini games.
Anyone else just like, not bother to make games themed around specific holidays? I know I won't get them done in time for it to make sense.
time to enter the playtest dimension
Sherriff: This permit you're renewing expired two months ago, you haven't been concealing illegally have you?

Me, remembering the sheriff was at the range with me a couple weeks ago and unsure if he'd noted me draw from IWB: I plead the fifth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VuThanhLong