Will RPGMV have a built-in function that really make apk/ios installers?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Killuki Zaoldyeck, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Killuki Zaoldyeck

Killuki Zaoldyeck Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Really sorry if something like this has been discussed before, if so, please provide me a link, thank you in advance.

I want to know if Kadokawa has intentions for provide an update to RPGMV that provides the function to really export our games directly to mobile platforms, and not as now that we require to install third-party programs which as far I know are used for build the installer of ANY HTML5 games not only RPGMV games.

I do know that the program provides a guide for build the installers for Android/iOS by installing python, crosswalk project or something like that, and apart of be somewhat complicate for some people, this is not what, at least me, expected, because they were advertising on the trailers as the games of RPGMV can be played directly on mobile platforms without any browser bars as being a program itself, which is not totally false because it makes the manifest file or whatever is called, but is also not totally true because what it export is basically a www folder for upload it to a host and play it on a browser.

Before the launch, I thought that it would make the apk by itself, supposedly as other multiplatform engines does.

So, will Kadokawa make a update that makes the installer directly by itself, without require to install and configure third party programs? Or will always stay as now, or this just currently unknown?

Maybe this is a bit late to be discussed as the program has been released two months ago, but I was always forgetting to ask about this.
    Sorry if I take some time to answer back, I'm very busy right now until wednesday, I might be reloading the page so you will see me as reading the topic, but I might not provide a quick answer.

Thank you in advance.

2. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unlikely, as they would need to constantly update it if they did (it would need way more updates than the MV itself needs).

3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally, I hope they don't.  Too much extra bloat and, as Hudell stated, it would involve them making updates for the sole purpose of upgrading that and I'd rather just have updates that concentrate on making MV better itself.  There's plenty of guides and even easy packers shown on the forums, so why not give them a look instead?

4. Killuki Zaoldyeck

Killuki Zaoldyeck Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    And what kind of packer (typo) there are? Because I tried one made by Intel and it needs to upload my files to some site, and is always giving upload errors maybe related with the size, and this is not helpful for me. Is there any packer that makes the package directly on the pc without have to upload files?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't say about android, but in case of iOS it's highly unlikely - because Apple specifically requires all iOS apps to be created by the xcode program that only runs on a mac.

Kadokawa can't even try to make a direct application for iOS, because not only Apple never gave away the needed process codes but because Kadokawa and anyone trying to do that would get sued for breaking Apples licences...

6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    IT's impossible because it would violate Android and IOS SDK terms of use.

djDarkX likes this.
  7. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Elmlor.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The biggest issue is really not that third party needs and requirements but how badly the performance is with the current rendering. Someone needs to rewrite or provide a really good optimization plugin before it's worth while releasing it via mobile platforms. Sure some of you might have a next gen cell right now but the majority of people have under performing phones on the market and I found that RPG Maker under 60 FPS acts quite slow for some strange reason I assume because everything is tied into the FPS. 

8. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What does this have to do with having a APK/IPA exporter built into the editor though? lol

On another note, the mobile market is huge. You can't cater to every device and the term system requirements exist for a reason.  RPG Maker games may be 2D and in some cases simple tile based games. However, it is important to consider a point where some devices are no longer supported.  Even on the subject of PCs it comes down to: "Do I want an impressive looking game with lots of art and depth?" or "Do I want an empty game that every device is capable of running?".  You are not wrong that rendering could be better, there is always room for improvement!  I just think it is important to take a step back and think: Where does it end in terms of what I can support?

nio kasgami likes this.