Will the RTP have an effect on the rating of a game?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by RpgN00B, Nov 14, 2015.

1. RpgN00B

RpgN00B The OG Spookster Member

First Language:
    English
    I was wondering that if you would use the RTP that comes with the program (Music, characters, and sounds, ect...) can that effect the rating of a game? What I mean by this is that should it be better if you make your own stuff or use the built in RTP stuff.

I'm currently working on a game and I'm using the RTP things as a place holder. I'm only a one person team (I'm looking for people to help [for free .-.]) so it is hard to create EVERYTHING from scratch ya know?

Anyways, Thanks! ~Sean Sierzega (RPGN00B)

2. Ramiro

Ramiro Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    There are people than will downrate youre play or even won't like to play it if it is RTP, of course, having bad graphics also will lead to negative impact, and being made in rpg maker for some reason also gives you negative impact.

So don't bother too much about that, the positive impact of making a fun game will be bigger than any negativity you could get from using RTP.

Just try to keep a good presentation overall

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Having RTP graphics does not mean your game will look bad. Having custom graphics does not mean your game will look good.

While many people do recognize RTP and might criticize you for using it, it's all about HOW you use it. There are RTP games that look WAY better than games with custom graphics, because the mapper didn't practice, learn to use the tiles to their full potential, or just rushed.

If you are new, work on making good maps with the RTP - if you can't make maps look at least half decent WITH RTP, you won't be able to make them look half decent without it.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As this is in the Commercial Game section, I assume that you are not thinking of releasing your game for free.

There are many alternatives - it is not just a question of either RTP or "making everything from scratch".  There is a ton of free to use resources on this site, though always check the terms of use carefully, as some resources may not be used for a commercial game, or you have to pay for them.  Many of these are specifically done to blend well with the RTP.  Making some simple edits or recolours needn't take a vast amount of time and can again bring variation to the visuals.  Doing this will make it a bit easier to sell your game.  Though unless you can team up with an experienced developer, I would not recommend you try to sell your very first game.  Make a short, free one to learn the basics properly.

And speaking of teaming up - you are unlikely to get people to work with you for free on a commercial game, as per your expressed wish.  They will expect some payment, as you hope to make money with this.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    this also isn't the place to request people to join you - we have a recruiting forum, but be sure to read the pinned threads before posting there.

6. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Good original work > RTP > bad original work

Seriel, Shaz and cabfe like this.
  7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'll extend that a bit.  Personal opinion here.

Good original art > Good non-original art > Mediocre original art > Good extended RTP > Mediocre non-original art > RTP > Bad original art > Bad non-original art > Bad extended RTP > Rips

Good or bad mapping changes things up a lot though.  It allows for things like this:

Good extended RTP with good mapping > Good non-original art with bad mapping

Bad original art with good mapping > Mediocre original art with bad mapping

The difference is less noticeable the higher up on the chain of awesomeness it is, but a good mapper can make a huge difference.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  8. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    If not RTP, what is "non original art"? Stock art not from RM?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  9. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are using RTP, you have to be very creative in the WAY you use it. Do minor edits if you can, do things that people normally wouldn't do with it. Add in a little bit of variety with a few custom graphics, whether they are free resources on this site or ones that you have made.

A little bit of custom stuff can go a long way. If you JUST have RTP stuff in it, it isn't usually too appealing. But if people notice from screenshots and videos that you have some custom graphics in there, it makes people instantly want to play it more.

Also, as far as music goes, I would try to stay away from RTP BGM if you are planning on charging for your game. The SE is probably fine to keep in, but the more custom music and sounds you have, the better.

10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry, I should have said "non-unique art".  Stuff like the art packs from the store that have a different style and some of the art you can find that replaces the RTP instead of supplementing it.

Indinera likes this.
  11. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Short answer - yes.  Your game will have a much better first impression with original art than the RTP, and will feel more special.

You can save that for near the end, though.  Use placeholders and make whatever is there really good.  If you have a really good project that just needs some polish, talented people will be more likely to join your team.

12. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I could argue that "bad art" can stand on its own to be "better" than the RTP. By better I mean not on a technical or presentation level, but as a way of creating a world of your own. While inferior to the RTP, it will still have its distinct flavour, and if you make really really bad art that might even strike your player's minds as the "ugliest, yet somehow most visually impactful games i've recently played"

idk

i may have a scrappy fetish XDDDD

Still, much love for the rtp

go use 2k3 for a commercial game :D

Kyuukon likes this.
  13. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can manage to make amazing games even with the RTP materials if you know what to do and how to do it (trust me), they're versatile and very easy to edit too. I know that custom art can definitely give your game a decent boost, but don't understimate the power of the RTP, when in right hands it can make your game shine.

It's not about what you have, it's how you use what you have. Limitation enhances creativity.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  14. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry but yes it will :J