Endafy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I know we got Linux support pretty early on for MV, is there plans for MZ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Linux support pretty early on for MV,
early?
If I remember correctly it was at least a year after MV was released, and only after several important bugs were fixed because the programmers for the updates were the same as for the conversion.

If I read some topics correctly MZ currently still as some problems with changes in the latest MacOS, so I expect they'll work on those before even starting a Linux version.

And then there is the question if the Linux version for MV was commercially valid - I don't know how often it gets installed (although that should be part of the steam statistics). If those numbers were too small then they might decide not to continue Linux support.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
I use it in Linux (through Steam), and it works good, with no issues (yet)

Endafy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I use it in Linux (through Steam), and it works good, with no issues (yet)
Unfortunately this doesn't let you run it on arm cpus.

Yes a year, mz was released last summer if memory serves correctly. I agree that taking care of bugs first is key but a lot of us moved on from Windows a long time ago. MV coming to Linux was a godsend. There's still a fair few things I'd like to see addressed first though. I wholeheartedly agree. A year is fairly quick. I'm in no rush, it was a question posed exactly as worded with no subtext or expectations. If the answer is no, ok fine. It's a longshot, I know. I know many hold onto Windows. I also ran it in windows emulation and had less bugs on my intel machine then it did on Windows 10. Linux is better at handling java and JavaScript. I'd just love being able to run this on a raspberry pi like I could with mv.

ItsMeDevRoland

MrWater Is here To Help ya, Or ask?
Reaction score
First Language
Python
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, RPG maker MZ still is lacking of support... I believe they will never add support for bit32 PC too ;-;(which I currently have), I'm double thinking if I should buy a new one, but it will cost a fortune though ;-; maybe sooner or later they will???, I just hope

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ItsMeDevRoland sorry - the technical limitations of 32-bit-systems make it extremely unlikely that any current software will ever be ported back to that.
The biggest problem is that 32-bit limits adress space to 4GB - which automatically means that the maximum RAM is even less than 4GB as other parts of the computer need adresses as well.
And any form of art or game development is extremely hungry for RAM.

Endafy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Well, RPG maker MZ still is lacking of support... I believe they will never add support for bit32 PC too ;-;(which I currently have), I'm double thinking if I should buy a new one, but it will cost a fortune though ;-; maybe sooner or later they will???, I just hope
Just get a core i5 2500 or something. These old desktops are cheap and plentiful. You could go trash picking and get a 64bit pc. They're not at all expensive. Anything made in the last 15 years is 64 bit lol.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They're not at all expensive
it depends on the country that that poster is living in. There are countries where even a computer for 100$ would mean a 3-month-middleclass income in the local currency.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
And here I am considering if I should spend $3000+ on a computer.
it depends on the country that that poster is living in. There are countries where even a computer for 100$ would mean a 3-month-middleclass income in the local currency.

Endafy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You can build a 64 bit pc for way less than that. Also rpg maker mz is $80. If they can't afford a basic computer then I'm sorry, just buy one of the older versions for like $10 on steam.

ItsMeDevRoland

Reaction score
First Language
Python
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can build a 64 bit pc for way less than that. Also rpg maker mz is $80. If they can't afford a basic computer then I'm sorry, just buy one of the older versions for like $10 on steam.
Issue here in Philippines is that, PC cost fortune, or If you found a small priced PC, it maybe also just scams.... Or older models... So yeah... Just gotta work with MV I guess

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
MV has arm support? Cool didn't know that :D
Is your question for both Linux and Arm support?

Endafy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
MV has arm support? Cool didn't know that :D
Is your question for both Linux and Arm support?
Yeah you need Apache installed, and box86 to run the instructions necessary. It does run in 32bit mode at the moment but there are alpha and nightly builds that offer some rudimentary x86_64 instructions. It would just be nice to get Linux support because not everyone has access to Windows, and there is a good chance even less will be able to do so with tpm 2.0 and Windows 11. I will have to test it in Wine in a vm, but Wine is VERY destructive to most Linux installations. So much so most people don't run Wine. Having Steam I will also test to see if it runs in Proton, but Proton doesn't work with a lot of things. Honestly I was SO happy with the move to Linux and I hardly boot Windows except for tax time.

ItsMeDevRoland

Reaction score
First Language
Python
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sooner Or Later Linux Will be supported Later on, Just Wait, And Hope For the Best? I dunno.... I mean If You Have A Nice Better Pc, You try using VirtualBox , Thats The Link To Check it Out... i dont personally Use it, Since I use Intel Celeron B710 And 2GB ram, Its Very Hungry When It Comes to Rams And CPU Handling, So Use it With Caution/Use At Your Own Risk... Have A Nice Day :>, Also I know Its The Trashiest Laptop, But its Still Functional.... Until Windows 10 Drop The Whole bit 32 Updates, Then I have No Choice but to update my Celeron to Bit 64(And Yes Intel Celeron B710 Supports Bit64 Update) So Yeah...:95:

Last edited:

thepigamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

auradev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you are really desperate for a Linux build you can just

1. Deploy to Windows
2. Download nwjs for linux -> unzip
3. Copy&Paste content into your windows deployment

Alternatively, you can automate this process with RPGMPacker https://github.com/erri120/rpgmpacker

thepigamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello,

Unzipping a built version of nw.js will work for x86 platforms. If you are on an arm platform (like Raspberry Pi or even Android) you will have to compile nw.js from source.

Besides that nw.js is very performant (it outperforms Wine+VX Ace) but you will often meet case sensitive resource names issues. That's good to keep in mind if you are a developer since when I play I dislike to rename a lot of .png images because they are wrongly capsed (eg: MyImage.png instead of Myimage.png)

Yeah you need Apache installed, and box86 to run the instructions necessary. It does run in 32bit mode at the moment but there are alpha and nightly builds that offer some rudimentary x86_64 instructions. It would just be nice to get Linux support because not everyone has access to Windows, and there is a good chance even less will be able to do so with tpm 2.0 and Windows 11. I will have to test it in Wine in a vm, but Wine is VERY destructive to most Linux installations. So much so most people don't run Wine. Having Steam I will also test to see if it runs in Proton, but Proton doesn't work with a lot of things. Honestly I was SO happy with the move to Linux and I hardly boot Windows except for tax time.
Hello,

Why are you trying to run Wine in a VM? Wine-x86+Box86 is enough most of the times on Raspberry Pi. Chroot+wine-x86 are usually a little outdated and give less support (eg: no sound) than using Box86 as binary support.

Wine shouldn't be destructive to your distro. However on RPi it's important to figure out the difference between Wine-ARM and Wine-x86. Some people will manually place their Wine-x86 binaries in /usr/bin/ which is imho a bad idea. I would rather gather a portable Wine-x86 and run it with full path.

That said, Wine is generally not a so good idea for RPGM. MV and MZ are very *****y to get running from Wine, so in Linux (arm or x86) using nw.js is usually a better idea. I am also not fond of using Wine for XP, VX and VX Ace but so far on Raspberry Pi it's the only solution. I've tried for weeks to get mkxp-z to work, no success :-(

Also, late versions of Wine (5.x and 6.x) use an humongous disk space for Wineprefixes/Wine bottles (they are sometimes the reason why your df is down to zero). This is a bummer because RPGM usually need late versions of Wine so you can't really get back any disk space by using an older one if you want to launch your RPGM game that way.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.
Last week at SLC. Cali awaits. TBH I love SLC more than SF.
Back home now. I had a good time, but I had a checkup this morning so I had to come home for that. Now I'm just waiting for my therapist meeting tomorrow...
Decided to work on Wishful Wanda today. Since it's a BFB spinoff game, I decided to make the Huang brothers
Easter eggs! I'm actually pitching this to the BFDI team, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sernyx