Will these work for Sprites? Or will I need to make something smaller?

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tailless roughdraft for when I was going to use Stencyl before I decided to move to RPG Maker VX ACE. What I would like to know, is will those work in the character generator / as the main sprites [after I fix them up to blank slates. And add in Hair / Eyes in their respective folders]? Or are they too big? Also for future reference:

1) What is the max size of a Sprite for the that's going to be moving about? 

2) What does my character's face size going to be?

and 

3) I saw a topic on making custom sprites. How do I know what number a specific mouth / beard / what have you is? And How would I go about making my own [i know I'd make a pic, and plug it into the appropriate slot in the list of body parts. At least I'm assuming so, but how do I go about making the appropriate amount / slot number]? 

Thank y'all for your time, and any help I can get ^_^.

EP PC Female.png

EP PC Male.png

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Resource Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

There may be a more appropriate forum for this (I don't usually spend much time in the art threads), but Introductions is certainly not it ;)

Size has nothing to do with it. Your sprites are not aligned correctly, and you're using 4 columns while Ace only uses 3. You'd have to delete the first column.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The character generator is extremely limited and you don't need to add your sprites and faces into it so that you can use them.  In a case like this it's better just to make the character sheets and sprite sets yourself.

1) I don't think there is a max size.  You'll be running into collision and mapping problems long before you get to the max if there was one.  Keep in mind that collisions are based on a 32x32 grid.

2) The default face size is 96x96.  This sort of information is in the help file under Resource Standards.

3) I think there's a tutorial on here somewhere for importing resources into the generator that would probably answer this question.  I don't remember where it is though.  I don't know that it's necessary though, if you can use graphics program that uses layers it'll go faster and give you more control.  The only real advantage to the generator is the randomizer.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You deleted the conversation after PMing me, so I'm not sure if that means you realize what you asked or not. I moved the thread. I didn't lock it or mark it as resolved. You can still go right ahead and ask any other (related) questions here :)

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry, the site counted my accidental post that I told Sharm about as an actual post, on top of the Tutorial I wrote. So I couldn't reply faster. 

But yeah, I deleted the PM because I'm not used to that Mark Solved button, and it took me a bit to figure out that it didn't mean what I thought it meant. So I deleted it. 

But yeah, after hours of not finding what I was looking for, other than the big sprites get the $ sign in front of the name. I was able to jimmy rig it enough to work. Then I wrote the tutorial I posted to Steam, before making a more cleaned up version here with pictures that's still being looked at, so that anyone can do it. But it's all good now. 

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
biggest issue using larger sprites will be tilesets imo.  If you're not doing those custom as well then your character will be bigger than the environment

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Actually wrote a tutorial on it a few days ago. I'm still waiting to see if it passes moderation. But yep. Also big Customs need a $sign infront of the name of they won't work period. Took me a few hours to get it to work. Although I'm a little miffed that I can't do an Actor1 type set up with 8 different actors of the custom size [it only shows one window. And plays four sprites at once, without the ability to choose who to play with. So I'm just doing a smaller cast as of now. [32 actors only at character selection.]. Do you know how to pull off a massive tileset of PC sprites [big], or is it only sheet per actor?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The $ is for indicating that it's a single sprite instead of a sheet.  You don't need it to make a big sprite work.  A sheet has to have 4 sprites across and 2 down, for a total of 12 frames across and 8 frames down.

I'm going to move this to Support - RPG Maker Ace, you're not really asking about getting resources, but how the engine works.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The $ is for indicating that it's a single sprite instead of a sheet.  You don't need it to make a big sprite work.  A sheet has to have 4 sprites across and 2 down, for a total of 12 frames across and 8 frames down.

I'm going to move this to Support - RPG Maker Ace, you're not really asking about getting resources, but how the engine works.
But the character sheets are 3 across and 4 down. 

So, how do I make bigger character sheets work? I  tried the traditional 3 across, 4 down that is found in the Resource Manager. But it'll only support one character. Any more than one and it refuses to allow me to pick a character, and ends up running four sprites simutaneously [in a four character block]. 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ace can only load two different sprite sheet formats - either single sprite (then you'll place the $ in the filename) or eight sprites (then you'll need 4x2 sprites of 3x4 pictures each, like the default actor sheets) without $

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ace can only load two different sprite sheet formats - either single sprite (then you'll place the $ in the filename) or eight sprites (then you'll need 4x2 sprites of 3x4 pictures each, like the default actor sheets) without $
I have a problem in that my Sprites won't work that way. As an actor, I get a 4 character block. [Two side by side. Then the 2 beneath them.]. As a graphic for an event. I get two side by side graphics. The character sheet I'm using atm is 155 X 247 [for 3 X 4]. 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
post the pictures and we can tell you what is wrong

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
$EP PC Male, is my Earth Pony Base [Recoloring, and altering size as well as mane style for new EP type characters]. MassiveSheettest the big one. Is just spaced vaguely in the same spacing. But until I can pick individual graphics, it'd mostly be guessing. If you know what's preventing me from using MassiveSheettest as a normal actor character sheet, I'd appreciate it.  

$EP PC Male.png

MassiveSheettest.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That doesn't work because the sheet contains sixteen, not eight sprites.

As I told above, a spritesheet has to be four sprites wide and two sprites above for a total of eight sprites, but you made it eight wide and two above for a total of sixteen sprites.

Bribolox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But the character sheets are 3 across and 4 down. 

So, how do I make bigger character sheets work? I  tried the traditional 3 across, 4 down that is found in the Resource Manager. But it'll only support one character. Any more than one and it refuses to allow me to pick a character, and ends up running four sprites simutaneously [in a four character block]. 
That's a terminology problem - the 3 across and 4 down "character sheet" is a single sprite.  The engine uses those images to animate the sprite.  A Sprite Sheet is 8 of those sprite images together - that's what is 4 across and 2 down.

Also, I'm not an expert of the topic, but I do know that sprites in Ace have to be very close together, with no space between the images going down.  I think, though, that the way the ponies are (wider than they are tall) you would have to do each individually with the $ in front of the filename.  Or again, make a sheet of 4 across and 2 down.

Just look a little bit closer at the sprite sheets in the Resource Manager, it'll become clearer!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That doesn't work because the sheet contains sixteen, not eight sprites.

As I told above, a spritesheet has to be four sprites wide and two sprites above for a total of eight sprites, but you made it eight wide and two above for a total of sixteen sprites.
Fixed. and with a few hours of tinkering got it to all be aligned. Now that I know what to do making characters shall be a whole lot easier both during character creation, as well as in game players. Thanks ^_^.

That's a terminology problem - the 3 across and 4 down "character sheet" is a single sprite.  The engine uses those images to animate the sprite.  A Sprite Sheet is 8 of those sprite images together - that's what is 4 across and 2 down.

Also, I'm not an expert of the topic, but I do know that sprites in Ace have to be very close together, with no space between the images going down.  I think, though, that the way the ponies are (wider than they are tall) you would have to do each individually with the $ in front of the filename.  Or again, make a sheet of 4 across and 2 down.

Just look a little bit closer at the sprite sheets in the Resource Manager, it'll become clearer!
It did. Although I didn't think it'd take over three hours to get it all aligned. It works. Thanks for your help as well, and for both of y'alls help in clearing this up. Have a few more quadrapeds to hit before I can get to the Minotaurs. But things just got a whole lot easier now that I know how to get massive character sheets to work. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I cannot get the Benny Hill Theme out of my head
A wave of cold air has hit Canada... I know it's "always cold", but this one is especially cold... I'm freezing to death lol.
Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emarald04