RMMV Will you do anything different for the next IGMC?

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Roden124, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Roden124

Roden124 Villager

First Language:
    English
    The purpose of the IGMC is to make a game in one month under the promise of fun, fame and fortune. By the time it's over, we all walk away with the real prize of experience. (◕◡◕✿)

In that respect, everyone wins, even if you horribly lose. What are your impressions?
    Lessons learned? Lessons unlearned? Entering for the first time? Entering for the last time?!

Players, speak up. What should entrants do differently in the future? How do you define a good game?
    Is there anything ubiquitous happening that you think should stop or continue until the stars fall?

As for me, I've learned:
    -RPG Maker actually doesn't like spaces in filenames,
    -I should see if my game is deployable before the final hours of the deadline, and
    -Checking for glitches beyond my own playtesting is a good idea.

Share your thoughts and lay them thick!

readydotexe and Frogboy like this.
  2. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I learned the second point of your list. (the hard way)
    I just noticed there are some missing image files few days after the deadline.
    That means my game becomes unplayable. (aaaaaaaaa!!)

Well, I think that's the major lesson.
    Also, don't enter if you're just about one week away from deadline. (while you're busy with rl)

Frogboy likes this.
  3. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll actually make a game.

readydotexe, Dezue and Frogboy like this.
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I might take part - depending on timing and RL activities

5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply The Barbarian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Make a smaller really well polished shorter game. That's what tends to do better, and really light hearted games do well to. Maybe try and team up as well, but we'll see.

readydotexe, Frogboy and Dezue like this.
  6. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I might also take part in the next IGMC. I mean, I did partially take part in IGMC 2015 and 2017 as a mapper in Blacksword Chronicles and Einherjar respectively, but never as a developer on my own. I would like to give the experience a try. ^^

I would have loved to take part this year but too bad the competition just showed up in the middle of the college months, not summer like the 2015 one. I definitely couldn't spare time for full development of any game. D"=

watermark and Frogboy like this.
  7. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was my first game jam and my first completed game. I was super happy to finish, and I'd be excited to enter again in the future.

I wanted to create a procedurally generated roguelike dungeon crawler, but since it was a) my first complete game and b) an experimental concept that would have required me to finish writing a plugin I haven't figured out how to implement yet, all the stuff I WANTED to do fell by the wayside to what I COULD do. The result was a semi-randomized dungeon crawler with poor combat mechanics, which makes for a pretty unsatisfactory game. I won't waste time trying to change it now; I still think of it as a success because I DID finish!

Overall I'd say if it's your first go, don't reach for the stars. Just try to do the basics really well, and put the focus on the areas you're already good at.

I also learned that deleting unused tiles from your tileset .png's (making them transparent) and consolidating tileset images where possible can significantly reduce your game file size!

8. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Loved most of our progress during IGMC17, but next time I'd spend more time building a prototype before getting into all the art stuff. Lesson learned :D
    I just get way to excited about all the art stuff... sigh. Always! X'DD

9. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know, to be honest. I'm going to have to get creative. The thing I enjoy the most is experimenting and seeing what I can do with the engine that it wasn't intended for. I like making something that is different from what everyone expects to see. And I've found that this is the absolute worst thing you can do for a game jam. There's just no way to do this and make it as polished as all of the other games and as it turns out, no one really cares about the technical challenge that it took to do it.

So I need to put that creativity towards other things. I need to figure out a way to step outside the box in areas that are more visible and may actually matter.

10. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is the same mistake I made in 2015 >.> Needless to say it didn't passed the first judge...

About the topic: I don't know. I don't have any ideas right now (I won't force it). But I learned good intel about how to proceed for these kind of contests and what they're looking for so we'll see...

What I'd do different? Make a shorter, simpler and more "to the point" game.

11. SinのAria

SinのAria The Chaotic One

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, I learned a lot, both from looking at other people's games and from making my own. Here are a few examples.

1. Don't do more than you are capable of. If you can do crazy technical stuff and you know you can do it, great. Otherwise, focus on the game itself.
      1. If you want to do something more technical, get some practice.
      2. This applies to multiple aspects: funding, skill, time, etc.
    2. Don't make something that is obviously a demo and expect it to do well (at least with judges), this has to do with doing what you are capable of.
    3. Pace yourself, but aim to finish early. Try to only use about half the time you have for development into a finished game, then add on later. You can easily set yourself with enough space to expand if you plan ahead of time.
      1. Do debugs after each build. Always keep the last stable build at a minimum. Preferably, keep all stable builds, but not all in the same folder.
    4. Don't store your game backups in the same folder your game is in. Otherwise, you might end up combining your backup with your new build. This then gets added to the next build and so on until your game package is 10 GB in size, but the actual game is only 140 MB.
    5. Non-rtp doesn't necessarily make your game better.
    6. Make a game that you will enjoy.
    7. Take advice to mind, but don't necessarily blindly accept it.
    8. Make your writing believable. Every character has a history, know what it is. Even if it is a minor character, knowing their history will make them more believable. Every object has a history, every monster, every dungeon. The better you understand your world, the more believable it will be.

Stoic, Dezue, Llareian and 3 others like this.
  12. Lord Kuro

Lord Kuro Villager

I learned a ton about how to do things in RPG Maker (there's nothing like a deadline to speed up learning), and I'll definitely be entering again next year. Apart from just engine stuff, one big lesson I learned was to test everything, test early, and test often. Just because you think you fixed something doesn't mean it actually works, and just because something worked earlier doesn't mean it still does after other things have been added and tweaked. And testing things before you actually need them prevents you from finding out that encryption breaks your game a few hours before the deadline lol.

Frogboy likes this.
  13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Myself? Actually enter this time. Of course, The Book of Shadows *should* be released before the next IGMC, so I won't have that taking all of my game dev time this time.

14. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Pixel Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This year, I'd like to have a more active role in any team/partnership I'm in.

Last year I didn't have time to contribute anything other than artwork (college projects had to take priority), so it led to me feeling like I was both overworked and not contributing enough. As fun as making the artwork was, I felt like I wasn't given enough detail about the story/concept to really develop an distinct style/aesthetic for the game.

As far as advice goes, I always recommend aiming for short, polished, and functional when it comes to game jams.

15. watermark

watermark Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Miss Nile Oh no! There goes our mapper for next IGMC! The world is truly gonna end now!:kaoeh:

Seriously, would love to see your entry Miss Nile. Go for it! I will, most probably, participate as well, but feel free to give a yell if you need any help from us. :kaoluv:

Now, before I go off topic, what would I have done different this time?
    1. Playtest more.
    2. Try to finish earlier so the game can be put up earlier and get game blasted before the judges get to it.
    3. Actually try out this Discord thing. I can't believe I missed like half the contest.
    4. Maybe I should go for the VNM category next year...hmm...

16. readydotexe

readydotexe Low class wizard

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As my first game ever published I learned so much from this, I'm very glad this happen it feels like an actual first step towards being a full indie dev
    as for what I will do next time, well first of all...

- CHECKING MORE THE GRAMMAR :kaocry:Like seriously, I've still encountered so many errors, the pressure of time and my spanish origin are the reason but still, I found a lot of ways now to fix this, and is not happening again...
    - Organizing even better, I've been using todoist 24/7 for organizing every day, now I barely procrastinate.
    - Having a true team, thanks to this Contest I've been able to do a team with 2 trusty friends, I know that the next time we'll be more prepared.

17. PKLpikachu

PKLpikachu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Things I'd do differently? Well I guess there's a few things:
    • Do more "prep work" (drafting and scripting the story, determining what resources I need, etc.) before doing actual work in the engine
    • Be more organized with assets, variables, and switches and keep track of where/how they were used
    • Set aside time each day to work on the game instead of binging an X amount of hours one day and doing no work the next
    I'm working on these skills in the current game jam I'm participating in, so hopefully I'll be more prepared for next IGMC! (Still need some work on the third point, though :'D)

readydotexe likes this.
  18. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Responsible for Kitten Mita development

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Consistency build up your characteristic. If I keep doing the same things the same way, they will finally notices. Before you know it, you will know who you are.