Will you play a Single-Player RPG that has all of these features?

So would you play it?

• Yes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

TheTourist

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would love to play games that have food features. My problem is the same with Zoltor (#13). Food is difficult to pull off. Look at Skyrim for instance: Food is in the game and provides minor buffs, but it doesn't provide much force multiplier for the player that it is more of a nuisance than a feature.

You really have to figure out the role and complexity food plays in the game.

Possibly, Monster Hunter might be a good example to food being a minor key feature in the game without being complex.

As for armor: I love games that re-imagine how armors are represented in the game.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cashmere - as I said, it's not a survival based game so it won't be the core

Adding complexity for the sake of complexity is almost never a good idea.
And basically that is what I posted on the question, features that add complexity just for the sake of it... And that is exactly why I'm curious as to if people will play a game like that or not. :)

as for the armor query, I already explained the mechanics on the first post I believe...

Last edited by a moderator:

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It really depends, but more often than not, no I would not play this. Then again, I'm not the target audience for something like this. However, I will say it depends on the focus of your game. I think it's a bad idea to include all of these features in a typical JRPG, or where focus is driven by the story more than the game. I mean, Final Fantasy gets complicated enough trying to learn all the overblows, various job classes, gaining/master skill sets, that to add a food inventory would probably drive me up a wall.

However, games like MMO's, rogue, dungeon crawlers, open world, and even some of the Western RPG's might benefit off this, where the focus is less on story and more on the actual game play. Even single player could benefit with something like this. In games like Romance of the Third Kingdom, where the game is about building your army, protecting your city and castle walls, claiming territory, and surviving harsh conditions, food inventory would seem important.

Now, that's not to say none of it should be used in a story-driven game, just not all. I can get behind where not eating enough food may make you slow and sluggish in combat, although I'd stay away from actually depleting HP unless the food the player eats lasts a long time. I'm not a large fan of the whole stamina thing, where running for too long makes the player weary, but I can see food a benefit to this where the player can eat food to quickly rebuild their running stamina; otherwise they have to wait for it to slowly build back up before they can run again.

Farming in an rpg is a great way to get access to crop/items that restore HP/MP without wasting money at the store. But having food spoil on you, I don't know. Seems to much to handle.

Besides, in a true fantasy/adventure setting, I imagine a person going on a so-called adventure would probably be buying more dried crop (dried fruits and vegetables, nuts, salted pork) so they can still get their energy, and the food doesn't spoil. Look at the explorers from the past centuries. Ships were usually stocked with canned products and dried food to avoid spoilage as much as possible. Sure they also had access to fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats, but they didn't rely solely on those.

The best way to get around hording is to set up the farming right away. Make stores few and far in between, and prices much higher. The player can plant seeds to get various types of foods that have different benefits. For each hour of game, the farm produces an X amount of crop. Some may take longer to produce depending on the value.

This alone would encourage players to return to their farm every so often. Sure, they might still horde food, but the farm only produces so much during a given time frame, and if the player wants more they have to wait or go buy it. No spoilage necessary, since players already have enough incentive to play the game as it's designed and to farm from time to time.

Edit: Meant to say Romance of the Three Kingdoms... blame it on my head cold.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlissAuthority

Dang, it feels good to be a Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It really depends on implementation.

"While you have food you eat on the go and heal over time out of combat" is one of the ways that's usually done well.

ShadowLurk

Tanoshii~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
For me, as long as those features are implemented right, I'd like to play those games. Although, I can see how food can be a hassle in RPGs heavily driven with story.

aozgolo

Perfidious Penny Pinching Pollywog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depends ENTIRELY on the pacing and intent of the game. I do enjoy survival games where your goal is to survive and eventually thrive HOWEVER I don't like when other genres of games just tack on survival systems for immersion because that kind of "immersion" also destroys pacing of a game. It depends largely on playstyle too, for example I've seen lots of people who love survival mods for Skyrim that add food/water depency, temperature exposure, more intense diseases,  fatigue, food spoilage, etc. etc. and LOVE it... however for someone like me who likes to do as many quests as possible and explore as much as I can when I play, all this does is break my immersion in what I'm trying to do by interupting me every few minutes to do some mundane task, not to mention despite civil war and dragon outbreaks, Skyrim is hardly suffering a food shortage problem, some of the bandits eat as well as Jarls.

Anruth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I love games with these aspects. I personally love dungeon crawls and Roguelikes and these ideas fit nicely with these type of games.

Especially the food spoilage. I know alot of people don't like systems like this (Equipment wear/ breakage, food consumtion, etc.), but to me it is a nice way to keep the player on top of his game.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally love dungeon crawls and Roguelikes and these ideas fit nicely with these type of games.
again, as already been said, the features are for a game that will follow closely a typical RPG, not survival, rougelike or any other :)

Laptopdancer

Gaymerz Rock!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would play your game. But I like the idea of potions not playing as big a role in games where there is food to restore hp...

SunDog

KHAAAAAAAAN!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It worked in Fallout New Vegas, but I never felt pressed to find food. It was more like, "Oh, my dehydration has hit level 1, let me pound the 5 bottled waters I always carry." If food and clean water was scarce like in Fallout 3, I would have been ****ting bricks.What really made hardcore mode good was Ammo having weight. Then I only carried a basic combat load instead of millions of mini nukes.

Skyrim or Oblivion would have been awesome to do that in.

A non-open RPG is where I draw the line though. If I'm just walking down a long chute, I don't want to turn back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brioche with a crème patissiere filling is so tasty!
A group of Game creators and others who trying to revive the Feel of Multiplayer and TOWN/ROLEPLAY games
Wow, lots of RPG Maker MV stuff on sale on Steam for 50%-75% off. Steam, why you not tell me?!
looking for help on top secret project
The nick "Toeuia" that I'm using comes from a, idk, you okay the chess game while chit chatting them. The first two are students. Then you know, finally, the champion, and then the champion's sensei. I played like this so many times until suddenly there's another chess master. Very naive but super smart. After he lost, he kinda advised me not to give up on chest. Because the next one was never seen beaten. Touya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaltedFish