Will you stop using VX altogether?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Panda, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Panda

Panda Level 15 Fluffy Bear Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When ACE comes out, will you stop using VX altogether (Apart from script testing and such)?

I think I'm going to only use VX for script testing now, as I don't have much of a use for it anymore.

2. NuSevith

NuSevith Retired Bear Fighter Veteran

Dunno for sure yet. I've already made quite the transition over to Ace, and there really isn't much back on VX that is any better or different. Really, the only reason anyone might want to stick back with VX if they have Ace is for the scripts.

Course, give it a year and most of the scripts people will need will all be done for Ace. Hell, Ace already has a lot of them just from people in the beta and who had the Japanese version.

3. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Well, I don't see why you would stick VX over Ace unless you already have a project in the pipeline. Ace has everything VX has and more... although some people still stick with 2k3 after all this time, so I guess we'll still have the loyal few. Also, not everyone who got VX has the money to shell out for Ace, so they'll start learning VX and eventually become comfortable with it... that's basically what happened with me and XP.

4. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Not entirely, not yet. Working on my game in VX which is probably about 35 to 40 percent done. Also Omegas7's map editor is going to be functional for just VX initially. While I'll be using VXA quite a bit, I am curious to how that map editor will work, although he doesn't have an ETA on its release.\

Also:

One thing I like about 2K/3 I haven't seen in recent editors (not sure if this includes Ace) is the ability to distinguish users for items (ie., which party member can use an item). That made it easier to create spell scrolls and whatnot for games when you wanted a character to learn skills by buying them in shops. I'm not sure why that option was removed, but that may one reason people haven't given up on 2K3, even though that option can be scripted.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  5. tpasmall

tpasmall The Mauve Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It depends on how difficult it is to switch my project over, and if the right scripts come out (or I find a way to make them), to make my game able to be complete. But most likely, I'll be done with it.

6. Knightmare

Knightmare Knight of the Night Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I quit using it the minute I knew Ace was coming. I'm definetely not going back after how improved Ace is.

7. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm with Knightmare. Stopped messing with VX as soon as I saw what Ace had to offer.

8. Azahoth

Azahoth Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The second I recieved the preorder confirmation email I then promptly erased it. Ace is like Rpg Maker Xp but different instead of just plain worse like VX. The large amount of small issues I had with VX generally forced me to use Xp anyhow but now I don't have to :)

9. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well for me no considering i've used XP a lot more and VX no i will not stop considering it's a nice maker to use to test things for small projects. Though with Ace i will be able to use one of the main features that made XP pretty useful having multiple maps instead of being limited to just one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  10. Drace

Drace The Sacred Warrior Member

First Language:
    English
    I would have to since I was using the trial version of VX :) Since Ace came out while I was using the VX trial version, I decided to just buy Ace.

11. WizzyT

WizzyT Slayer of Fades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I pretty much missed out VX altogether as I was working with XP prior to stopping using RM.

So its pretty much a case of starting from Scratch on our project within Ace.

12. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Considering my project is made in VX, with loads of eventing, and a lot of custom made scripts, no I won't be ditching VX for a very long time.

There will be a lot of people who refuse to upgrade as well. I might become one of them :lol:

13. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    Same. I used to use XP, but stopped for years... then I got wind of Ace and it was enough to pull me right back in.

14. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

My current project will stay in VX until it's completed. I've put waaaaay too much work into it at this point, and I can't smoothly transfer all my maps, scripts and events. So, I'll be a VX user for a while longer. :3

15. Shiro

Shiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah the only reason I see to stay in VX is is because you already have a game far into production with it. Other then that i dont really a see a reason, since ACE has everything VX does and more.

16. Hesufo

Hesufo Homu! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I actually had left RPG making for a while until Ace came out, which renewed my interest.

So, more than just VX, I stopped not making games thanks to Ace. :lol:

17. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yeah so the only reason why people would want to stay with VX for a little while longer is that they still have their unfinished projects going on with VX. I'm on the same boat with those people too. Though, just to catch up with others, I've started working a small side collab project with my friend using VX Ace at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  18. Ceric

Ceric Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I didn't really have any VX projects I wanted to keep, so making the transition was pretty easy. Ace is a definite step up over VX based on my limited use of the toolset so far, but I would imagine most people on the forums here already feel the same way.

19. arcana23

arcana23 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Funny, I have almost every RM game ever made from PS1 to even others not to be mentioned. I guess it's just a collection for me now, but I like XP a lot more than VX but I have goofy games I made for all of them. So I keep it for nostalgia. Who knows maybe I will write a set for each again and maybe publish them.

20. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    To be honest, it's all just a matter of preference. Seeing as you still get people swearing by 2k3, even though they're aware of Ace means people staying on the VX is more than likely. That and they may be confused by the VX in the title, thinking it to be merely an expansion pack of sorts and not worth shelling out for when they've already got VX.

However, from the view of just technological specs alone, Ace is easily better than XP with the older maker winning medals in only the "Mapping" portion of the contest.