Will you stop using VX altogether?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Panda, Mar 14, 2012.

1. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    I'm sticking with VX even after my project is completed. Guess I'm just loyal to the engine. :)

2. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I certainly will, especially when you consider that I have't fired up VX in almost a year...

I should write a VX -> Ace converter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    ShinGamix and EvilEagles like this.
  3. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Do it, and do it now. You will get many cookies in return.

4. PixelLuchi

First Language:
    UK English
    @BigEd781: Wow, how many wouldn't appreciate that! :) It sounds like a great idea.

(Edit: Got ninja'd )

5. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'll call you 'master' if you just promise you will do so someday not to far from now ;_;

6. Strawberrycat24

Strawberrycat24 Yummy Kitty Member

First Language:
    English
    I kinda have to stop using VX altogether because of what happened with my OS,

after my boyfriend upgraded it I lost my copy of VX and i couldn't reactivate it.

So I suppose you could say I'm a fresh Ace virgin, ready for a new engine. *giggles*

7. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    There's already one available, although it's not perfect. (i'm just too lazy to search for the link for it -.-)I think that there is only tow valid reasons to still using VX, beside stubbornness: having a project in a advanced development stage in VX, not having money for the upgrade. Beside these two, anything else is purely unjustified stubbornness.

starcrescendo likes this.
  8. starcrescendo

starcrescendo Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I went right from XP to VXAce. I tried VX trial and saw all the limitations so I didn't buy it and stayed with XP but all of the cool scripts were coming out for VX so I kind of gave up on RPG Maker. Now, most of those scripts that I wanted have already been made for Ace so I'm right back into converting my project and playing around with it. So far, having a ball!

I don't see why you would want to stay on VX unless you had a project coming, or no money to update. I could justify staying on XP if you really liked the graphics, or even some of the older makers because they apparently have some features that still aren't in Ace, but staying on VX, I don't get

9. NuSevith

NuSevith Retired Bear Fighter Veteran

FenixFyre already made one. It's pretty good. I'll talk to him 'bout having it posted over here.

10. yieldingmydestiny

yieldingmydestiny n00b Veteran

First Language:
    Melayu
    The bottom line is to move on for something better or convince yourself that the predecessor can surpass the latest one.

11. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Why? VX Ace is superior in every way. That's like sticking to your PS1 when you can play a PS2.

12. PixelLuchi

First Language:
    UK English
    ^ I guess I don't want to shell out the $90 for it. In my currency, that is crazy expensive. >< And I'm still unemployed. So... yeah. That's my reason.

13. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Probably gonna stick with VX for now. It would just be annoying to transfer EVERYTHING I've done in my game already over to the new engine. I'll probably start to mess about with it when I can afford it/make something new, though.

14. Jamesruglia

Jamesruglia Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    VX will still be my main maker, primarily because my #1 signature project is currently underway. It isn't nearly finished enough to drop, but it's too far along to restart. By the time I'm finished with it and satisfied with the amount of time it's been available in a completed state, Ace's successor will be out. Ace also just isn't asthetically or mechanically improved enough to warrant redoing the project even when I do finish it on VX.

But Ace does have a lot of interesting features that make it a little more suited to a couple of side projects of mine.

People really do still use 2k3? Hm... I stuck with 2k3 through XP, and my transition to VX in the first place was very slow.

15. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Luchion, Quigon, very valid reasons to stick with VX. Money and investment concerns can make it offputting.

James, my only disagreement with your statement is that Ace IS mechanically improved enough. It makes several things in VX loads easier to do. Granted, I don't know how far along you are in your project, but I figure spending a month (out of a year, at least) to transfer a project to Ace wouldn't be too bad.

But hey, you guys do what you want. It's your time, projects, and resources. I wish you the best regardless, in the end, it's about making good games, right?

16. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a few VX Projects that require some scripts that are not out for RGSS3 yet so I am going to use VX for these projects that require those scripts and I just started reusing my RPGM XP again the other day too.

But I am a big fan of Ace and it is very nice if it wasn't for a few resources and some scripts not working with Ace, I wouldn't be using anything else.

So to answer " Will you stop using VX altogether?" the answer is -------------------->No<-----------------

@BigEd781 If you could just make a RGSS2 to RGSS3 script converter you would be godly!

@Sevith Could FenixFyre write a RGSS2 to RGSS3 script converter? or a XP to Ace Tile converter because hand cutting XP tiles to Ace/VX style is hard! Those two things would end 99.5% of all my game making problems.

17. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    The only thing Ace is missing to make it the best thing to ever happen to the universe ever is the 3rd dayum layer. Seeing as I've gone from XP to Ace, working with just the 2 layers is very frustrating. I suppose you could use events to act as a 3rd layer, but then in XP you could effectively have 4 layers! And that was madness! Tiles would be stacked everywhere and it was awesome. Never did I think I could miss something like a layer so much...

18. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I stop using vx along time ago together with my rpging it was just recently that I got back again with rpg with the introduction of ace... so much hype! anyway I still remember purchasing it for $60 or something and I also forgot where I put my serial number :D .

Was it legal to sell games created with 2k3? im just curios.

19. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I could be wrong, but with official licensed software (that is, bought in or from Japan, not downloaded), it was legal to sell games made with 95, 2k and 2k3 (and I presume Dante 98) as well. That was during our community's 'dark ages', when an official, legal product wasn't available.

20. RATED-RKOFRANKLIN

RATED-RKOFRANKLIN Cardfight!! Vanguard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't have a reason to continue. I'm using ACE to improve my first project. I want to make the best possible product.