Will you stop using VX altogether?

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ace uses a way better thought out layout for scripts and has a lot quality of life features that VX doesn't have.

Also u can convert all maps from VX to Ace pretty easily, including all events and what not, so there is no real reason to not go for it.

Sure if u have alot of custom scripts it might be a pain, but aslong u made them urself, u will also be able to prot them over rather quickly, since well, its all Ruby in the end.

Denn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C
Primarily Uses
I originally picked VX over XP because of performance. What I really wanted was something in between. Ace managed to pretty much do that (with exceptions, like XP's superior mapping). However, while Ace versus XP is debatable, Ace clearly beats VX. It's causing me to remake all my projects in Ace. I don't expect to go back to VX for any reason other than looking up the previous projects for reference.

The Infamous Bon Bon

Executive Geek
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I never got far enough on a project to continue using VX and I was fortunate enough to have extra cash when the preorder came up.

I only really use VX now when I need a refresher at RPG Maker School.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
People really do still use 2k3? Hm... I stuck with 2k3 through XP, and my transition to VX in the first place was very slow.
I know people who still make games with 2K3. Mostly, it's the side view battle system default; although you can make one in XP, VX and VXA with scripting, a lot of people don't like to script at all, and so prefer the default sideview of 2K3.

When I had to choose between XP and VX, I picked XP because I didn't see anything in VX I thought was worth fighting over the limited tile system. Since Ace took care of that problem, I'm definitely going to start working with it now (of course, I didn't work with XP much because by the time XP emerged I was mostly retired from game creation, but still...)

DarkScienceLord

Genius Mage
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I actually had left RPG making for a while until Ace came out, which renewed my interest.

So, more than just VX, I stopped not making games thanks to Ace. :lol:
This sums me up pretty well too.I guess I was just bored of VX, but Ace has so much more! It's rather invigorating.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
The only reason I still have a vx project is because it's "our" (me and rhyme) first game in VX and we want it to stay there, for nostalgia's sake.

Ooda

Hm, You Called?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I doubt I'll ever stop using VX.

Sure I will end up buying Ace to start a new project on, but, I've been with VX since the beginning and there are some things you just cant let go of.

Nevertheless, I wonder if anyone will feel outdated by continuing to create games with VX?

(It's a bit of a silly question, I know)..

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I purchased Ace on pre-order, but so far there are a bunch of scripts on VX that have yet to make their way to Ace, and my current project was already being designed in VX. Time will tell, but chances are I'll toggle back and forth between the two depending on which maker best serves my needs for whatever project I'm working on.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Nevertheless, I wonder if anyone will feel outdated by continuing to create games with VX?
I most certainly won't. :) It will take a while, like amerk said, for the number of VXA scripts to even come near the number of scripts VX currently has. Only time will tell. Until then, VX forever.

Sailerius

Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I most certainly won't. :) It will take a while, like amerk said, for the number of VXA scripts to even come near the number of scripts XP currently has. Only time will tell. Until then, XP forever.
In all seriousness, I still personally find XP to be more intuitive and efficient than either VX or VXA so I'll continue to use it for experimental projects and contest entries. That said, it's hard to deny the power of RGSS3, so I'll be using VXA for serious projects. But yeah, there's literally no reason to use VX anymore. Occasionally I find myself needing to use VX-only scripts, but it usually only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to make it compatible, so I don't feel the need to open VX.

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Until the trial problem is fixed with Ace I won't be using it...

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I heard of the problem that was going on that when you activate the trial and you close out and come back in, it says your trial had ended even though it was supposed to give you 30 days I think?

Reynard Frost

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I heard of the problem that was going on that when you activate the trial and you close out and come back in, it says your trial had ended even though it was supposed to give you 30 days I think?
You should really just download the trial and use it yourself instead of going on rumours. If this were an actual issue it'd be brought to the attention of Degica and fixed promptly o_O

MagicMagor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I'm using the trial for a week now and never had any problem with it.

In regards to the topic, i haven't ever used the VX (the tileset-limit sounded to limiting), but i will probably stop using the XP. I have no ongoing project, which i would want to finish and the ACE is an improvement in almost every way for me, so i see no reason to go back to the XP.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should really just download the trial and use it yourself instead of going on rumours. If this were an actual issue it'd be brought to the attention of Degica and fixed promptly o_O
This actually does happen with a SMALL percentage of trial users, but if you contact Mitchell about it if it happens, he can fix it. No reason to not install it.

PentagonBuddy

Out To Lunch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ace is a better engine, but it won't inherently make a better game. My current personal project is a VX one I won't be transferring, and I have no clue about the engines of future projects! I suppose I'll think about it when the time comes, but I doubt I'll retire VX completely.

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ace worked for me and I find it more user friendly than VX...until I get 90$ I can spend and hopefully some of my favorite scripts from VX can be made for ACE. So I'll probably slow down using VX.

- Aërendyll -

Noodle arms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch / Aenese
Primarily Uses
I doubt it. VX could be my resources testing playground while I am more serious with the stuff I do in Ace. It'll give me some organisation in Ace and not make my money spent on VX a waste. Not to mention that there's script reasons as well, but I've never been one to be very demanding in the scripts department, so...

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
I'm still sticking on VX until i bought a copy of ace :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Managed to find a way to hang a bed cover over my window. So no more being toasted alive in the afternoon!:kaoswt2:
So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoloJou