Will you stop using VX altogether?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Panda, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Necromus

Necromus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Ace uses a way better thought out layout for scripts and has a lot quality of life features that VX doesn't have.

Also u can convert all maps from VX to Ace pretty easily, including all events and what not, so there is no real reason to not go for it.

Sure if u have alot of custom scripts it might be a pain, but aslong u made them urself, u will also be able to prot them over rather quickly, since well, its all Ruby in the end.

2. Denn

Denn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    C
    I originally picked VX over XP because of performance. What I really wanted was something in between. Ace managed to pretty much do that (with exceptions, like XP's superior mapping). However, while Ace versus XP is debatable, Ace clearly beats VX. It's causing me to remake all my projects in Ace. I don't expect to go back to VX for any reason other than looking up the previous projects for reference.

3. The Infamous Bon Bon

The Infamous Bon Bon Executive Geek Member

First Language:
    English
    I never got far enough on a project to continue using VX and I was fortunate enough to have extra cash when the preorder came up.

I only really use VX now when I need a refresher at RPG Maker School.

GemFall likes this.
  4. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I know people who still make games with 2K3. Mostly, it's the side view battle system default; although you can make one in XP, VX and VXA with scripting, a lot of people don't like to script at all, and so prefer the default sideview of 2K3.

When I had to choose between XP and VX, I picked XP because I didn't see anything in VX I thought was worth fighting over the limited tile system. Since Ace took care of that problem, I'm definitely going to start working with it now (of course, I didn't work with XP much because by the time XP emerged I was mostly retired from game creation, but still...)

5. DarkScienceLord

DarkScienceLord Genius Mage Member

First Language:
    English
    This sums me up pretty well too.I guess I was just bored of VX, but Ace has so much more! It's rather invigorating.

6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The only reason I still have a vx project is because it's "our" (me and rhyme) first game in VX and we want it to stay there, for nostalgia's sake.

7. Ooda

Ooda Hm, You Called? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I doubt I'll ever stop using VX.

Sure I will end up buying Ace to start a new project on, but, I've been with VX since the beginning and there are some things you just cant let go of.

Nevertheless, I wonder if anyone will feel outdated by continuing to create games with VX?

(It's a bit of a silly question, I know)..

8. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, I purchased Ace on pre-order, but so far there are a bunch of scripts on VX that have yet to make their way to Ace, and my current project was already being designed in VX. Time will tell, but chances are I'll toggle back and forth between the two depending on which maker best serves my needs for whatever project I'm working on.

9. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    I most certainly won't. :) It will take a while, like amerk said, for the number of VXA scripts to even come near the number of scripts VX currently has. Only time will tell. Until then, VX forever.

10. Sailerius

Sailerius Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In all seriousness, I still personally find XP to be more intuitive and efficient than either VX or VXA so I'll continue to use it for experimental projects and contest entries. That said, it's hard to deny the power of RGSS3, so I'll be using VXA for serious projects. But yeah, there's literally no reason to use VX anymore. Occasionally I find myself needing to use VX-only scripts, but it usually only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to make it compatible, so I don't feel the need to open VX.

Kread-EX likes this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Until the trial problem is fixed with Ace I won't be using it...

12. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What trial problem specifically?

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I heard of the problem that was going on that when you activate the trial and you close out and come back in, it says your trial had ended even though it was supposed to give you 30 days I think?

14. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    You should really just download the trial and use it yourself instead of going on rumours. If this were an actual issue it'd be brought to the attention of Degica and fixed promptly o_O

15. MagicMagor

MagicMagor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I'm using the trial for a week now and never had any problem with it.

In regards to the topic, i haven't ever used the VX (the tileset-limit sounded to limiting), but i will probably stop using the XP. I have no ongoing project, which i would want to finish and the ACE is an improvement in almost every way for me, so i see no reason to go back to the XP.

16. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This actually does happen with a SMALL percentage of trial users, but if you contact Mitchell about it if it happens, he can fix it. No reason to not install it.

17. PentagonBuddy

PentagonBuddy Out To Lunch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ace is a better engine, but it won't inherently make a better game. My current personal project is a VX one I won't be transferring, and I have no clue about the engines of future projects! I suppose I'll think about it when the time comes, but I doubt I'll retire VX completely.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ace worked for me and I find it more user friendly than VX...until I get 90$ I can spend and hopefully some of my favorite scripts from VX can be made for ACE. So I'll probably slow down using VX.

19. - Aërendyll -

- Aërendyll - Noodle arms Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch / Aenese
    I doubt it. VX could be my resources testing playground while I am more serious with the stuff I do in Ace. It'll give me some organisation in Ace and not make my money spent on VX a waste. Not to mention that there's script reasons as well, but I've never been one to be very demanding in the scripts department, so...

20. Emzie

Emzie ಠ_ಠ Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    I'm still sticking on VX until i bought a copy of ace :|