kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Beware, Windows 10 Users For Your Cyber Safety is in Danger!

The US National Security Agency (NSA) has discovered a major flaw in Windows 10 that could have been used by hackers to create malicious software that looked legitimate.

That's how the following article begins its explanation on what you might have missed since it was launched.

It also says the issue was revealed during an NSA press conference. Brian Krebs, some security expert, said it's "extraordinarily scary". It has to do with a critical DLL that could be easily breached or fooled by hackers.

So if you see you a pending patch in Windows Update, you surely know what to do about it. The idea is to apply the patch as soon as possible... or start using Linux. :D

Last edited:

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the information.
In my opinion I think it is quite stupid they said this publicly and give black hat hackers a hint, even if its a small one. I think it will end up fine but thats just me.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So if you see you a pending patch in Windows Update, you surely know what to do about it.
*nods*
scrap it and install OSX.
gotcha.

funny this coming up just now.... not 12 hours ago I read an article announcing the end of support for W7, and that "the best way to be safe" was "with a new computer, with Windows 10".
and, of course, the comment section of that article could be summed up as "Windows 10 is garbage! Just install Windows 7, a good antivirus, and learn how to configure your system!"
.....as one would expect from anything W10-related

(and, for the record, I use Vista, and still have a computer with XP. XP failed time and again, and always recovered. Vista, only had one major crash that I can remember, and also recovered. 98? I lost count of how many times I patched that system..... 95? same story..... 3.11? the system itself never failed, only the hardware. Not one of those crashes was due to hackers.... always hardware failure, or broken installations.)

Last edited:

tale

Volunteer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I felt like sharing this clip of article from yesterday's local newspaper.

Timing was impeccable. Thanks for the information!

Mystic_Enigma

I'm Your Ham!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can join in to I express my amusement of the sheer irony of this event? I had only few problems with windows 7 the day I got my PC. And as soon as they stop support for it and suggest Windows 10, THIS happens! It's like someone somewhere was baiting us to mess up our systems...

I am very lucky I didn't remember to abandon Windows 7, it functions compitently and my antivirus is fair. After all, why fix what isn't broken?

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Perhaps somebody should start a new thread to discuss the best antivirus available out there... Or just start using Linux or MacOSX if you prefer. :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There have always been security leaks in all windows versions, that is neither new nor something specially news-worthy (unless the newspapers find no other things to report, then they dig into such things).

Quite the contrary - years ago there were security risks that could have broken everything if the wrong people would have combined their knowledge - just imagine a virus loaded by BIOS before the first drive is even checked, and then writes itself on a write-protected floppy disk and blocks any clean boot from such a disk no matter what the settings for startup are. And yes, that would have been possible because the so-called "write-protect" of the floppy was software-controlled, not hardware blocked.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also, while Windows security has always had issues, it's not like Linux has ever been perfect either. Go look up Shellshock or Heartbleed.

In general, computer security has more to do with how individual users approach their security, and not what OS they use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Latest member to OcRam -plugin suite: OcRam_Layers! Optimized parallax layers (for parallax mapping?) + dynamic layers which can be used in title-, battle and map scenes!
People convinced me to use my old graphics for this new project, i guess i can't run away from blender just yet. https://gyazo.com/2a105847c042bb78c6d4919ec1308660
10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Batosta