Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So after contacting about rpgmaker staff and spending a few months trying to solve my "jitter" issue I have came to no conclusion. Ive spent a few hundred dollars and not being able to get even close to mid way in my game is kinda upsetting, so with the jitter most likely being a windows 8.1 problem it seems Im trying to debate if I should downgrade to windows 7.. Im just not sure if it is a good move, any inputs would be very welcomed. Thanks!

tearsofthenight

Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For some reason windows 7 handles ALOT more engines better then windows 8.1

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well a question I have about downgrading too, is if I downgrade will any of my specs get mess up or become inferior?

tearsofthenight

Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well a question I have about downgrading too, is if I downgrade will any of my specs get mess up or become inferior?

No Operating systems have nothing to do with PC specs. I downgraded and everything was fine.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Either get another computer that has Windows 7, or dual-boot your PC to have both and leave your Windows 8.1 setup as-is.  Last thing you want to do is go to all the work of downgrading and find it makes no difference.

And does it matter if it's Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?  If it works under Windows 7, doesn't that mean you're going to have to tell people they can't play your game if they have 8.1?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The biggest problem with downgrading to an earlier windows version is that you basically have to delete your harddisc to do that - which means a lot of work for data backup.

However, if you have a new computer that came with Win8 preinstalled, you should check if you have Win7 drivers for everthing - sometimes newer hardware doesn't get the drivers for older windows programmed, and that would cause problems. So check that before deleting Win8

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Shaz, That may be but what I cannot understand is why I am the only one having this issue, my cpu is top of the line, I can run pretty much every game, what other reason can this jitter be? I have tried  literally everything, nothing will get rid of it.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This issue is not related to Windows 8 or 8.1, RPG Maker VX Ace functions perfectly fine with it. I think you have another problem that is causing the jitter, what are the specifications of your computer?  Have you tried to press F1 and check the "Reduce screen flickering" ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I did press the reduce screen flickering, and it actually made it much worse.

Computer specs-

Intel® Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 Ghz

7.88 RAM

64-bit OS x64 processor

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
my comp is just i3 4th gen with windows 8.1 64 bit and RM games run fine...

Anyway, one thing is sure, you doing the downgrade won't really do a thing if we're considering the end result of the game that ur making as performance will depend on the player's comps.

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually my games run under Windows 8.1 in full screen with only 17 FPS. With Windows 7 it is 60 FPS.
Both were 64 bit versions with newest driver. There is a small issue with 2D Engines on Windows 8.1.
But every single 3D game runs about 10 - 25 FPS faster under Windows 8.1.
I also would like to say, if you plan to use DiretX 12 in the future, then you should stay with Windows 8, because Windows 7 don't get it.

But you can play your games in windowed mode, which will run every game at full 60 FPS.
It's the easier and faster way to fix this problem. ;)

And as Andar mentioned, you need to delete the full HDD and install every single driver, programm and download you had again.
Plus I'm pretty sure a ton of personal data. :D

A next plus for Windows 8.1 is, it boots way faster and opens programms way faster too.
So why only because a small jitter issue uninstall the in all better operation system? (\s/)

My System Specs:
AMD FX 4130 @ 4.11GHz
8 GB DDR3-1866 RAM Crucial SportGTX 650 Ti 2GB GDDR5-RAM @ PCIe 16x2.0, 1100MHz / 1750 MHz x 4 (Because it shows up 7000MHz in the Nvidia drivers.)

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I would say it's probably not a hardware issue.  Are the graphics drivers fully up to date? 

What other programs are running in the background?  Maybe one of them is conflicting with the game, although I can't imagine that being likely.  Some security programs like to do real-time monitoring --- maybe that's causing a conflict?  I know some antivirus packages even have a "Game" setting where they lower scan priority while the game is running.

If you download someone else's RPG Maker game and run it, does it have the same lag issue?  If it does not, it's something with your game's scripts or configuration.  If it does, it would lead me to believe the other programs causing lag, or some other driver configuration issue is more likely.

Also, if you want your game to have the widest possible audience, you need to make sure it runs fine with Windows 8.1/7/XP across a wide range of hardware.  

I run a Core 2 Duo, with a fairly new nVidia graphics card, 6 GB of RAM on Windows 7 and have never had a problem running an RPG Maker game.  So I don't think your much higher end hardware is the culprit here.

Your game might be lagging because of some of the scripts you're using, or if you're using the high resolution RPG Maker DLL --- the latter needs some other scripts setup to keep lag down.

For end users, it's not really acceptable to say "Well, you need a top of the line PC but the older version of Microsoft's OS to run this game."   That combination isn't one a typical end user will seek out, just to play one RPG Maker game.  

After all, there's a reason RPG Maker games natively only run at 544x416 resolution when most modern monitors can do far beyond 1024x768.  My guess is they were trying to keep support for some older Japanese displays.

To answer your question:  I don't think you'd lose anything by downgrading, but it's a lot of work (back everything up, downgrade, re-install everything), and in the end you'd have 2 possible results:

1. Your game still lags.  So you just wasted your time and effort in the downgrade.

2. Your game doesn't lag.  So your potential users with Windows 8.1 are just out of luck?  What do they do? 

So I would not recommend downgrading to Windows 7 to try to fix your game, because it won't solve anything either way, not for other users.

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say it's probably not a hardware issue.  Are the graphics drivers fully up to date? 
Yes they are. ;)

And as I said, with windows 7 every single RPG Maker game runs fine. ;)

But if I go to Windows 8.1 every single RPG Maker game runs at 17 - 25 FPS, no matter if high resolution or standard. Many events, or no events. But it only happens in full screen. Deactivated all options in my drivers, still the problem.

If I go in windowed mode, even in Windows 8.1 every singe RPG Maker game runs at 60 FPS. Strangely, at a resolution of 1920x1200 I get in Windows 7 13 FPS and with Windows 8.1 about 20 FPS, but only in windowed, else it get's way more worse like 5 FPS. :/

It could be the steam version, because I only seen this error in the steam community and many having this issue...

The only issue I can think I may have, that the CPU runs pretty fast at 60° C / 140° F, but it happens with standard clock too. The fan of the CPU runs at 100%. 

But all in all, if you run it in windowed mode, you get a better performance with Windows 8.1 so I wouldn't recommend to uninstall it.

I will try the Windows 10 RP right now, because I only have a demo version of Windows 8.1 at the moment, not enough cash for a full version. :/

The only thing that may can help, is to update the BIOS of your mainboard / motherboard. But for my Asrock are none available, allready installed the latest, only fixed the reboot issue. :/

I using still HDD, may it has to do with the transfer of this part, but SSD are too expensive, in my oppinion. (\s/)

The issue is your graphics card  :)
Why that?

I think it should be fast enough for RPG Maker, as I said only have it with Windows 8.1, not 7. o_O /)

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The graphics card thing was to the original topic creator~

Little Paw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Windows 8 is a downgrade from Windows 7 in general. Go back to the superior Windows 7 and never look back.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I am definitely interested in this issue. I have a Windows 8.1 machine, which I can return for only a few more days.

I have not installed RPG maker VX Ace on it yet.

Is Ace fully supported on Windows 8.1?

I can still return the machine and get a Windows 7 machine.

Will installing Win7 drivers take care of everything?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
On my windows 8.1 laptop, everything seems to work fine, fullscreen or windowed. The only time it's slowing down is when I'm charging and is still under 80% battery, but it happens to all games that I play in my laptop, RM or non-RM.

@HotFire - though RM doesn't really use the GC...

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Maybe not, but a GC can determine how fast things are drawn on a computer. The baseline will be drawn at the 'worst' performing item, such as the GC or HD.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
though I'd be surprised if his set-up has a slow GC...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"Another hundred habaneros... a teaspoon of tumeric... and a heaping helping of nitroglycerin!" The kitten in a chef's hat laughed maniacally as the pot he was stirring promptly exploded.
Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.
does anyone feel like explaining to me the difference between simulation and emulation? you have my full permission to be as pedantic as you want.
About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuyucomi