EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would be too, but it seems like a plausible answer: for instance, laptop GCs are often not upgradeable, so people tend to neglect them even with desktops.

Just a hunch :)

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will installing Win7 drivers take care of everything?
Mostly the drivers are collected for Vista, 7, 8, 8.1.

So the installer pick the one you need to use. If not so and you install a windows 7 driver, you may get no picture at all on your screen, or the system becomes unstable or the last option, the drivers reset very often. (\s/)

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
No it is not my Video Card, It is fully updated--Nvidia geforce GTX 860M.

I too own the Steam version.However I will be testing other RPGmaker games today to see if I get the same jitter. Even without scripts my games will still get jitter when the map size gets bigger then 20x20.

I am definitely interested in this issue. I have a Windows 8.1 machine, which I can return for only a few more days.

I have not installed RPG maker VX Ace on it yet.

Is Ace fully supported on Windows 8.1?

I can still return the machine and get a Windows 7 machine.

Will installing Win7 drivers take care of everything?
Just remember Windows 8+ is not supported by rpgmaker so if you ever try to get a hold of staff they will just give you the "Sorry we dont support windows 8x" so that is a big downside to it.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Just remember Windows 8+ is not supported by rpgmaker so if you ever try to get a hold of staff they will just give you the "Sorry we dont support windows 8x" so that is a big downside to it.
Is there official word on this somewhere? I mean, I am talking about returning my laptop over this.

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
The thing is Grandadeb, it is either a hit or miss, some people have the issue and some for some reason dont. So I would check to see if it works on your computer first before you return it. I know Ive had my issue for about 3 months now, have tried everything everyone has told me( and it was quite a few people, mind you) and still havent understand what is causing it.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Has anyone with this issue tried to run in compatibility mode for another version of Windows?

By the way, I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop with only integrated graphics and don't have this problem. I would definitely give it a try before you have to go through the hassle of trying to return your laptop GrandmaDeb, unless it's going to be too long until you can try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Retested it on my comp, and still no jitter problems, both full screen and windowed mode.

Could it be the resolution of the screen? Coz RM just stretches the graphics when you go FS mode, so I think it's possible that you're having it because RM is stretching the graphics far too large.

My laptop has an intel HD 4400 with a resolution of 1366x768 only.

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Has anyone with this issue tried to run in compatibility mode for another version of Windows?

By the way, I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop with only integrated graphics and don't have this problem. I would definitely give it a try before you have to go through the hassle of trying to return your laptop GrandmaDeb, unless it's going to be too long until you can try.
Yes, tried every mode from windows 95 - windows Vista Service Pack 2, but allways the same. 

But only have it in fullscreen mode if I switch to window mode, everything is gone.

Oh, it's still the same with Windows 10 RT 64bit.

May 2D programms only work correct with on board chips, never tried that. o_O

But I think my graphic card is way more powerfull then this chip that steals the VRAM from the regular RAM. :/

That windows 8.1/10 only scans for on board chips or integrated graphics on processors.

And Graphiccards get ignored. I also have a 100% CPU load with VXA, but with games like Metro 2033 only about 75 - 90%.

But at least it runs in window mode the same FPS like windows 7. :D (\s/)

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Okay so I thought Id run a little test. I made a mini game(same size map/events) on rpgmaker xp and rpgmaker vx ace. The XP version did not have jitter at all and worked pretty good. The VX ace did. I played XP games, no jitter. I played VX ace games jitter. So quite weird and not understanding.

-Good news is I can always Make a xp game haha!

P.S when I talk about jitter I do not mean lag, Its almost like a fps drop... kinda where the map shakes a little while exploring

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No it is not my Video Card, It is fully updated--Nvidia geforce GTX 860M.
Actually, it could be your graphics card still. My last computer had an Nvida, and it caused jitter on many a game. Seemed there was some issue with the card and the latest drivers, and to make them work I had to downgrade my drivers for the graphics card to a version about a year older.

So...it can be your card and driver combo, as occasionally, the latest drivers are *not* ideal and are causing the problem. Though the only way to find out is to google more about your card and drivers and see if others are having these issues with other games (which in my case others were, it was not limited to just me).

Edit: If you are curious, the game that had trouble was Legend of Grimrock. Not something you would think would be graphically heavy.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, tried every mode from windows 95 - windows Vista Service Pack 2, but allways the same. 

But only have it in fullscreen mode if I switch to window mode, everything is gone.

Oh, it's still the same with Windows 10 RT 64bit.

May 2D programms only work correct with on board chips, never tried that. o_O

But I think my graphic card is way more powerfull then this chip that steals the VRAM from the regular RAM. :/

That windows 8.1/10 only scans for on board chips or integrated graphics on processors.

And Graphiccards get ignored. I also have a 100% CPU load with VXA, but with games like Metro 2033 only about 75 - 90%.

But at least it runs in window mode the same FPS like windows 7. :D (\s/)
I  missed the part where the problem is only full screen...so I tried it and yeah...runs like crap. Forget my former comments.

I don't get an increase in CPU load or RAM usage in full screen though, 3GB of RAM free and around 25-30% CPU usage, so I have plenty of overhead.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

As Official Staff and official word, this is not true at all. I use a Windows 8.1* myself so you can't say that 'we don't support Windows 8' when we clearly do. It's just that with PC releases it's harder to make sure that it works with everyone's PC specs. Someone already reported me this jitter issue but I cannot replicate the issue myself which makes it even harder to pinpoint the cause.

monkeyintartan

TartanMonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I had this issue on windows 8.1 laptop, I then had an issue where I had to reboot my laptop from scratch to the default factory settings, (non RM issue) and when I installed Vx Ace it never had the issue again. I sometimes get a small amount of frame drop when I there is a lot running in the background at the same time as the RM, which is understandable if you ask me. A computer is still limited an tying to run a lot of programmes at once would obviously cause lag.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I imagine RPG Maker uses the standard Win32 graphics API calls, so it should benefit from whatever 2D performance boosts games get from the graphics card.  But, since a lot of new AAA games are 3D, most graphics card manufacturers put a lot more emphasis on improving 3D performance than they do for 2D performance.

In theory, any remotely current graphics chipset (i.e. within the last 10 years) should have comparable 2D performance.  At least when I upgraded my graphics card from a 7 year old ATI card to a new nVidia card, I saw very little 2D performance gains --- the bulk of the gain was in 3D games like Skyrim.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
As Official Staff and official word, this is not true at all. I use a Windows 8.1* myself so you can't say that 'we don't support Windows 8' when we clearly do. It's just that with PC releases it's harder to make sure that it works with everyone's PC specs. Someone already reported me this jitter issue but I cannot replicate the issue myself which makes it even harder to pinpoint the cause.
Commotion emailed RPG Maker staff directly and was told that windows 8.1 is not supported.

Commotion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
zWzlcl.png

This is the email directly, so I was told it is not supported, sorry if there is confusion.

Actually, it could be your graphics card still. My last computer had an Nvida, and it caused jitter on many a game. Seemed there was some issue with the card and the latest drivers, and to make them work I had to downgrade my drivers for the graphics card to a version about a year older.

So...it can be your card and driver combo, as occasionally, the latest drivers are *not* ideal and are causing the problem. Though the only way to find out is to google more about your card and drivers and see if others are having these issues with other games (which in my case others were, it was not limited to just me).

Edit: If you are curious, the game that had trouble was Legend of Grimrock. Not something you would think would be graphically heavy.
I just tried, still no luck, unless I have to go back a few updates the 2 prior ones didnt help.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, what the heck. Two of us staff members use Windows 8.1 and have no issues running RM. It's pretty much stated in the EB JP website that it's supported.
I'll have to check this out :|

EDIT: Here's the update.

RPG Maker doesn't work with A-series AMD processors. A lot of cheap laptops use it. While it has an ondye graphics processor, the actual processor is underpowered. So if you're using AMD, that's mostly AMD's problem. Since RM is processor heavy it's most likely it's taxing it. I'm still not sure if its a specific architecture issue, or the A-Series is just that underpowered, but I know it just doesn't work.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
/

Wow, what the heck. Two of us staff members use Windows 8.1 and have no issues running RM. It's pretty much stated in the EB JP website that it's supported.

RPG Maker doesn't work with A-series AMD processors. A lot of cheap laptops use it. While it has an ondye graphics processor, the actual processor is underpowered. So if you're using AMD, that's mostly AMD's problem. Since RM is processor heavy it's most likely it's taxing it. I'm still not sure if its a specific architecture issue, or the A-Series is just that underpowered, but I know it just doesn't work.
/me huggles Archeia

Thanks! If you look at the attachment though. it looks like I am in trouble...

Capture.PNG

So I am in deep doodoo, eh?

Okay, I will return my poor, poor bad, bad laptop!

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

I'm not an expert, but considering what this laptop can run, it's probably a specific architecture issue.

But at least we have an answer.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just tried, still no luck, unless I have to go back a few updates the 2 prior ones didnt help.
The time it happened to me I would have had to go *waaaaaay* back, as Nvida had messed something up and not fixed it in a few updates. Though in my case I just played that game with the bad drivers (stutter and all) and got through it.

Though I think we do have an official answer at least, though I thought the AMD issues were a thing of the 90's. I mean I know that was a common issue when AMD was new (back in the 486 and Pentium day), but now?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Nightmare... Dreamt I posted a GFX resource post. With a work in progress glove icon that tinted to different colors. In the wrong forum. And I was in such a panic. I saw people writing posts in response, those "..." you see in discord and such. So I frantically tried to report my post as wrong forum, editing to say it's the wrong forum and that I "accidentally" posted it too early... Very odd dream to be honest...
The youngest photo of you is also the oldest photo of you.
People need to stop submitting their game to every single game jam without even reading the jam rules (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mom tested positive for COVID thanks to a single stupid coworker of hers not taking sh*t serious.
I'll prolly won't be on here for a while as we deal with this.
So before I inevitably start a new project to reorganize myself (I will make sure to save important info dw), I will make an external list of what I want in the final database.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jokerlyzer