Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker doesn't work with A-series AMD processors. A lot of cheap laptops use it. While it has an ondye graphics processor, the actual processor is underpowered. So if you're using AMD, that's mostly AMD's problem. Since RM is processor heavy it's most likely it's taxing it. I'm still not sure if its a specific architecture issue, or the A-Series is just that underpowered, but I know it just doesn't work.
I use an AMD, but FX 4130 that runs at 3.8 GHz, I overclocked it to 4.1 GHz.

With Windows 7 64 bit, got no issue with low FPS.

With Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit, I have very low FPS in full screen like 7 FPS with or without High - Res.

But if I change to windowed mode, I get 60 FPS by low resolutions up to 1600x900 and 20 FPS by resolutions above 1600x900.

I also have a Nvidia, which is also overclocked to the limit. But games like "Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare" runs with no problem at 60 FPS at 1080p maxed out. 

Tried also starting RPG Maker VX Ace without overclocking, still the same. :/

I would buy a Intel, if I had the money for those, but I needed to stick with a really cheap AMD instead. :/

But I don't want to stick with Windows 7, because every other game runs faster on Windows 8.1 or higher. 

For example Metro Last Light has 24 FPS on maxed out settings at 1080p, but on Windows 8.1 or higher it get's up to a 40 FPS. :) (\s/)

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Jitter has nothing to do with FPS. I have jitter benchmarking VX Ace running at 31 to 37 FPS.

I run it on windowed mode and that's how I benchmarked it too.

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could actually upload a video with Windowed mode and Full Screen.
Nvidia Shadow Play shows the FPS in the upper right corner. ;)
I was allways talking about FPS drop under Windows 8.1 and above, but only full screen. :/
I can say for sure it has nothing to do with AMD or INTEL, same goes for ATI or NVIDIA.
Because I tested it on NVIDIA & AMD combination and a INTEL & ATI combination, both times only 15 FPS in full screen, 60 FPS in windowed (WIN8.1&10).
Same combinations as above and Windows 7, 60 FPS Full Screen, 60 FPS Windowed.

The jittering happens because of FXAA, if you turn it off in your drivers, it disapears.
That's what I could say for NVIDIA, my old ATI HD4850 doesn't have FXAA, and never had a problem with jittering there. ;) (\s/)

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I could actually upload a video with Windowed mode and Full Screen.

Nvidia Shadow Play shows the FPS in the upper right corner. ;)

I was allways talking about FPS drop under Windows 8.1 and above, but only full screen. :/

I can say for sure it has nothing to do with AMD or INTEL, same goes for ATI or NVIDIA.

Because I tested it on NVIDIA & AMD combination and a INTEL & ATI combination, both times only 15 FPS in full screen, 60 FPS in windowed (WIN8.1&10).

Same combinations as above and Windows 7, 60 FPS Full Screen, 60 FPS Windowed.

The jittering happens because of FXAA, if you turn it off in your drivers, it disapears.

That's what I could say for NVIDIA, my old ATI HD4850 doesn't have FXAA, and never had a problem with jittering there. ;) (\s/)
FXAA is off already. Still I got the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So a random issue on some set-ups? That is more confusing, though it's not really rare anyways...

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So a random issue on some set-ups? That is more confusing, though it's not really rare anyways...
Very little info to call it random for sure. :(

If only people who have the issue come and tell the devs their specs, that would give us a guideline.

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could do so, even with mainboard manufacturer and Ram manufacturerer, even my CPU cooler. :D
I build up my PC on my own and know what is what. ;)
If I would have the money, I would have prefered a INTEL. 
But dual cores have too less power for games like Metro LL and quad of Intel was too expensive. :/

A small and good question were, if the one who don't have the problem have an on board GPU.
I'm not talking about APU's like the intel i7 4770k or the A10 7850K. ;)
I know that Intel has a different name for their CPU integrated graphics, but I put these together. ;)

Because for me, it seem's like that the maker has a problem with graphic cards. That could be caused of to low clocks.
For example my GPU only clock around 100/200 MHz in windows and limits the GPU RAM to 50 MB. (got these data from Zotac Firestorm)
But strangely it wents up to the full clock of 941/1350 MHz in windowed mode. o_O
I've got allways maximum power activated in my drivers, but strangely it doesn't work with Windows 8.1 or 10. (\s/)

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I use an i7 64 bit processor as well and have no issues. I wonder what causes it.
I have been tossing and turning over this. Evidently a downgrade is too complex to consider for me right now. (drivers and hardware compatibility across Windows 7 versus Windows 8.1, mostly)

I have until January to decide if I want a full return. Ugh!

Can I run someone else's game to test this out, or do I need to run RPG Maker itself to test this; and does it happen always with problematic games, or only at times?? (My games are all extremely simple graphics-wise.)

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have been tossing and turning over this. Evidently a downgrade is too complex to consider for me right now. (drivers and hardware compatibility across Windows 7 versus Windows 8.1, mostly)

I have until January to decide if I want a full return. Ugh!

Can I run someone else's game to test this out, or do I need to run RPG Maker itself to test this; and does it happen always with problematic games, or only at times?? (My games are all extremely simple graphics-wise.)
I tested (and saw the problem) it on a very simple map (just a small house interior with few events) using the RTP for VXAce, so I don't think complexity is a factor. I actually haven't tried a compiled game, just the play test in the program. I assume the problem persists, though maybe someone else has a definitive answer there. If not I can check it out in a few hours.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So I can just go download and run a few games and I will know for sure if my laptop is a dud?

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Deb, you can create a grass map and mountains. Moving the hero makes the mountains jitter. 

If mountains are not blurry but crystal clear, you got no problem.

So I can just go download and run a few games and I will know for sure if my laptop is a dud? 

CORRECT!

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yeah. No jitter in small screen. Jitter in large screen.

*&&^&@*@*@**@ laptop. I liked it so much, too. =/

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Let's try and narrow down the issue:

Using the high-resolution .dll and any script that resizes the window to your computer's maximum resolution (to a multiple of 32, rounded down), and an FPS display script, perform the following:

- Create a text event. Record the FPS during the display of this text event.
- Create a pure black map. Record the FPS during the display of this map, when the player is moving and when the player is not moving.
- Create a complex map (grass, mountains, but no animated tiles) - record fps when moving and not moving.
- Create a complex map (autotiles like water) - record fps.

- Set a move route for an event on a simple map (one type of floor tile) and record the fps.
- Do the above again, on a map with an animated autotile.

(Also, provide your specs)

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you mean the graphics in the background appears to be moving at a much faster rate than the player?

Maybe it's cause I play games at 120-180 FPS that it just looks normal for me...
It is exactly the blur-jitter you can see on the video I linked on a previous post.

Blurry trees for instance when map is scrolling.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I did some experimenting on various maps and various settings (thankfully, my pre-existing game had this at hand already!)

INTEL - Windows 7 - Laptop
1344*768

Tidbit: If you are not in fullscreen (Zeus Fullscreen F5) you lose 5 FPS.
I used VGA display script to find the FPS.

21*17 map with no moving events and no text: 60 fps
21*17 map with no moving events and text: 60 fps **
(357 tiles displayed)

42*23 map with parralax background moving left: 40-50 fps
42*23 map with parralax background moving left and text: 30 fps
(966 tiles displayed, mostly black - moreso 230)

22*22 map with no moving events and no text: 30 fps
22*22 map with no moving events and text: 30 fps
(484 tiles displayed)

30*14 with 2 moving events and no text: 60 fps
30*14 with 2 moving events and text: 30 fps
(420 tiles displayed)

42*24 with no moving events and no text: 30 fps
(1008 tiles displayed)

**Falls to 30 fps during text rendering, jumps around a bit, then goes back to 60.

It simply seems to be a quantity-based rendering thing. Text display is an obvious culprit, and the engine seems to find showing maps around 480 tiles in quantity quite hard - but is fine with 420 until text appears.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
See post #62.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wasn't referring to jitter, but it seems the OP had a jitter issue specifically. Apologies.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wasn't referring to jitter, but it seems the OP had a jitter issue specifically. Apologies.
No problem.

Actually expected FPS are useful to know (having a benchmark as a general idea).

The thing is, we are looking for the solution of that jitter. :/

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No problem.

Actually expected FPS are useful to know (having a benchmark as a general idea).

The thing is, we are looking for the solution of that jitter. :/
Yeah, I had a bit of a brain derp moment and got confused with the .dlls and everything. Multitasking can do that :p

Anyway, the jitter's likely due to a drawing thing since it only affects some tiles and not others.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.
Rough week, but in the end there's light in the darkness.
Mental health is an issue I wish was taken more seriously.
Take care.
1638421271905.jpeg
By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

This is not something I'd ever even considered but wow! What a way to use music in a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StarkerKai