Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've noticed an interesting bug with RPG Maker MZ where windows are positioned weirdly.
This bug only seems to affect people with multiple monitors, and there's a good chance it's related to High DPI screens.

In my case, I have 2 High DPI (150%) screens. I use RPG Maker MZ on my secondary screen on the right, and Visual Studio Code on my primary screen on the left.

Screenshot 2021-06-06 134110.png

When I open RPG Maker MZ, its window appears shifted to the right by 50% of the screen's resolution. Possibly a High DPI related bug, where MZ remembers its previous window position multiplied by 150%. This bug isn't much of a problem, since I can trivially drag the window upwards to maximize it.

The biggest problem is when I'm eventing. When I select an event command and press the SPACE key to edit the event command, a child window is supposed to appear. Sometimes it appears properly in the center of its parent window, but sometimes it appears out of view, and I'm forced to press the ESC key to close it, since I can neither see nor interact with it.

Whenever this happens, I have to close the child window (with ESC), then drag the parent window to the primary screen, before I press SPACE again.

When it happened to me the first time, I thought RPG Maker MZ had crashed. I almost killed the process and lost hours of work.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can you show me a video @Nolonar so we understand the issue exactly?

I couldn't record both my screens, so here's my setup:
  • 2 screens: Main screen on the left, secondary screen on the right.
  • The issue happens on the secondary screen (on the right).
  • Both screens are 4k and use 150% scaling (high DPI).

Here's a screen recording of the secondary screen (the right screen):

Since we can't see my inputs, here's a "transcript" of what I'm doing:
  1. Clicking on the RPG Maker MZ icon in my taskbar.
  2. Dragging the window upward to maximize it.
  3. Opening an existing event.
  4. Clicking on a "Show Text" event command to select it.
  5. Press the spacebar on the keyboard to edit the event command.
  6. Press the ESC key to close the child window.
  7. Drag the Event Editor window slightly to the right.
  8. Press the spacebar on the keyboard to edit the event command -> the child window spawns but is not visible.
  9. Click on the Close (X), Cancel, and OK buttons in the Event Editor window. Since the child window is open, the Event Editor refuses to respond. The child window is still not visible.
  10. Press the ESC key to close the child window again.
  11. Drag the Event Editor window to the left and repeat steps 5 and 6 to show normal behavior.
  12. Drag the Event Editor window back to the right and repeat steps 8 to 10 to show bug.
  13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 a few times and close the Event Editor window.
Hopefully this helps.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)
*sigh* This one turned out really well... except for the left arm pose...
fPRzKSp.jpg

Yes I purposely cutout the arm cause from the pic
A month into making my life/dating sim game and I've finally finished making all of the love interests :kaocry: I still have to make most of their emotion range and overworld sprites but aye I'm proud of myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nosferatu88