Windows Store and Chrome Web Store

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by sylphglitch, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sylphglitch

sylphglitch Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    With the Windows 10 Store you can create full blown apps using HTML5 and JavaScript via the Universal Windows App project.

After stumbling through another thread about this I tried it myself.

If you import you HTML5 export from RMMV into VS it runs perfectly minus all the things that MS Edge doesn't support.

Are we legally allowed to create games in RMMV and export them to Visual Studio to be sold via the Windows Store?

I ask b/c I doesn't see anything prohibiting it in either Article 5 or 6 of the EULA or the Game Distribution Agreement Supplemental.

I also ask b/c if the Windows Store is legal from what I know of the Chrome Web Store, it should be legal there too.

Thanks in advance.

DangDut likes this.
  2. ZServ

ZServ Veteran Veteran

You should be fine. You have legal access to the resources. The only sketchy part is where you're recompiling the engine, but you aren't doing it with any ill will, so I doubt anyone would actually care.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why do you need to import it into VS? Doesn't the new MS browser support HTML5?

4. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think because the requirements for submitting to windows store is a bit strict. If you planning to release on Windows phones or on Windows 8/10 via their own store in a HTML5 maybe you have to use a specific wrapper to have features like live updates and such which can be utilized via VS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  5. sylphglitch

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the quick reply Shaz.

Basically what Jomar said above is what I'm getting at.

I have to import the HTML5 files into VS so I can wrap them into a project file that VS proceeds to compile/convert into a package format the Windows Store will accept.

Here's a link that details the process...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/mt627715.aspx

From a technical standpoint it's no different then converting one's RMMV final output to an Android project except now you're using MS based tech and targeting the Windows Store.

Any clarification about this is appreciated.

Like I said in an earlier thread, the potential for RMMV is staggering if we are legally allowed to pursue certain avenues.

PS - If the process above for the Windows Store is legal, I believe it would be also for the Chrome Web Store as its almost the same process except using Google tech.

6. VentGrey

VentGrey Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Now that is what i call reviving a post, but what about the Web audio API issues? i've tried to fix it like 400 times (my trash bin is full of failed copies) the only way i can look around this problem is Changing the audio but now...When you do a universal HTML5 app it doesnt contain a www folder or any related content so converting will be way too harder than intel XDK.

7. sylphglitch

First Language:
    English
    I had the same issue Vent with Web Audio.

I think you'll have to convert the sound files to WAV if you're still trying to do a Universal Windows App.

I went over the EULA again I can't find anything in it the outright says I can't export to Windows Store.

In fact the process of publishing a RMMV game is less involved then exporting to either iOS or Android.

Is there anyone here I could PM to for further advice?

Thanks

8. VentGrey

VentGrey Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Maybe look up in the .js main files and change supported format, at this point im running out of ideas.

9. VentGrey

VentGrey Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Found the supported formats but still got an error in return, i cant change or add formats, and if i skip the web audio 

API error game just pops up another error type, maybe we'll have to wait till MS updates Web Audio API in IE mobile.

10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    VentGrey, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

11. Master100000

Master100000 Graphic Design/Complex Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Master100000, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

The last post was over a year ago! You already have a thread with this query, so there is no need to hi-jack an old thread dealing with a different issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.