Windows System Restore - Deleted .js files

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by wrigty12, Oct 15, 2016.

1. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This isn't so much a question as it is a piece of advice to anyone that this may happen to.

I recently did a Windows 7 System Restore back a week due to some issues an update caused to my computer. Idiotically, I did not backup my WIP game data. Once I got back on the computer after the restore, I realized that a plugin that I had been working on for a few days, along with others that I had installed, were gone. I began to panic, and I couldn't find any good way to get that data back, so I ended up starting the plugin over.

However, after about an hour of re-do, I decided to change my Google search for another way. And I found one.

If this happens to anyone, use the program ShadowExplorer. It works like a dream, you can find the files that were 'shadow saved' before they were deleted with the restore, and it can save days of headache. I've downloaded it, no risk, works perfect.

I hope that this will help someone in the future. (Also, don't do what I did. BACK UP ALL THE TIME)

(P.S. if this doesn't belong in this specific category, definitely move it to the correct one)

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This has happened to me too, with a project in an older engine - can't remember if it was Ace or XP.  The lesson I took away was "don't put your projects in My Documents or any of the other folders 'owned' by Windows".

I've slackened off lately though, because that's exactly where all my projects are.  I really should just move them to my D drive, which is what I used to do.

3. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's a good idea. I should probably move everything too..