VerticalToast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m not sure if this is the right forum section so I apologize if I’m in the wrong place.

I’m looking into getting a Windows tablet to draw everything in-game from the ground up. I’m stuck between the cheaper Surface Go 2, and the much more expensive Surface Pro X.

The issues are:
Windows “safe” mode vs. normal Windows 10

RAM and processing power (the machines’ capability to make and play games on MV or MZ)

“Safe” mode:
The Go 2 comes with “Windows 10 Home in S mode”. S mode meaning “safe”, meaning it won’t run any apps that aren’t Microsoft, meaning Steam and RPGM are out of the question. Apparently there’s a way to get it out of safe mode so that puts outside apps back on the table. My hesitation here is that I don’t want to buy it and find out I can’t run outside apps.

The Surface X comes with “Windows 10 Home in ARM”, so to my knowledge, that alleviates any possibility of not being able to run certain apps.

The other issue is, of course, RAM and processing power. The Go 2 is a weaker machine but cheaper. The Pro X is much more powerful and should have no problem using MZ or MV, or running games made with those programs.

I’m leaning towards the Pro X. I have the money for it and I really don’t want to buy the Go 2 and find out it’s not powerful enough. Also, I’m just impulsive.

My questions are as follows:
What are your thoughts on the Go 2 versus the Pro X?
Have any of y’all used either?
Do y’all have experience making games with MZ or MV on other tablets?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a more important question is the size of the display, because if the tablet is too small the program's can't run event if the power is there.

additionally, you need to check for OpenGL drivers for the display. MV and MZ use OGL instead of DirectX - that may cause problems because Microsoft-based drivers often don't support OpenGL, trying to force everyone into using DirectX. But MV/MZ need OGL.

VerticalToast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a more important question is the size of the display, because if the tablet is too small the program's can't run event if the power is there.

additionally, you need to check for OpenGL drivers for the display. MV and MZ use OGL instead of DirectX - that may cause problems because Microsoft-based drivers often don't support OpenGL, trying to force everyone into using DirectX. But MV/MZ need OGL.
When you say display size, do you mean the resolution?
Surface Go 2 resolution: 1920x1280, 10.5 inch screen size
Surface Pro X resolution: 2880x1920, 13 inch screen size

I’ve been having trouble finding out if either machine runs on DirectX or OGL. I believe the Pro X has, at the very least, a compatibility pack that will achieve the desired effect. I can’t find anything on the Go 2.

Just a side note, on steam, it says MV can be run on DirectX 9 or OGL but MZ can only be run on OGL.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moving to General Discussion

as you are not actually asking about any of the products.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
You can go from Windows S to Windows in a Surface Go 2 easily. You shouldn't worry about this, I have done this before and it was very simple to do. The question is about the Surface Pro X and that is if Steam can run there, and if RPG Maker can also run there.

I wouldn't worry about the drivers on the Surface Go 2 after going to Windows, since you are running full Windows at that point, worse case you will have to install the drivers manually, but I don't know about the Pro X since it is emulating Win32 and not running it natively.

Btw once you take it from Windows 10 S to Windows you cannot go back to it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For a long time I always consider XP soundtracks as the best one.
Just listened to some of MZ tracks from the free version.
It's... Quite mindblowing. xD
Only listened to the battles, towns, and fields.
But I'm sure the rest are equally good. :D
What do you guys want to see for the new Jump into Javascript? A continuation of the rpg_objects, or would you prefer a "lesson 0" where I go back to the absolute basics of Javascript and cover the fundamentals of the language and its construction?
Hey RPG members!!

How do you finish projects? Some new game developers start off strong but end up losing momentum. What keeps you motivated while working on new projects?
Feeling wee sleepy.. ZzzZ
So many threads to move to the right place. My post count is awesome, but 95% of it is due to moving things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjum