RMMV Winter - A Samurai tale (New version LIVE! Better graphics and a little of voice acting!)

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
title.png

What you do when all your dreams are shattered?

logo-1.png
"“You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
Miyamoto Musashi,

For centuries the empire of Taiyō no ōkoku persisted. An island of light and civilization in a world of darkness. Ruled by the Seppun dynasty of divine blood and the 5 great clans.

For centuries the Yoikai threat remained constant. Creatures who know only anger and suffering and who dream of destroying the world of samurai.

For centuries peasants have prayed to Amaterasu to choose whoever would be her chosen one who would finally end the war. An example of virtue and value that would inspire samurai until the dawn of time.

You are Nakao Daisako Kazunori, Tiger of Taiyō no ōkoku and heir of the Salmon Clan, you are the answer to all his prayers, and soon you will discover that this is a is just a mask…

"Winter - A Samurai tale" is a game inspired by the epic poems of old like the Illiad and the Heike monogatari. Follow the life of a samurai, make choices that will change your destiny and that of an empire, and uncover the tragedy behind the legends

logo7.jpg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Sun Tzu

Tired of killing slimes to earn XP? Is RPG maker's turn-based combat system unbearable to you?

Then this game can be going to please you. It revolves around the system of 5 elements. You have 5 elements (fire, water, air, earth, and void), each representing an aspect of your character's personality. The success / failure of your actions and attacks will depend on the value of your attributes.

So if you have a lot of points on Fire, you will have a better chance of solving problems impetuously.

Obviously your choices during the game will increase / decrease your stats, so be careful with your path.

logo-3.png
Nakao Daisako Kazunori
charac1.jpg

Tiger of Taiyō no ōkoku and heir of the Salmon Clan, many are the responsabilities and titles of Daisako. His destiny is to be the one who will destroy Lord Yokai and end with endless war. For this he was prepared all his life to become the most perfect of samurai, with a body and mind without equal.

Alas, now that his mission is nearing his life, he will learn that life is not always simple as in the old legends.

Ho-Ichi
charac2.jpg

Ho-Ichi the blind, Ho-Ichi the bard, Ho-Ichi the faith, Ho-Ichi the earless. The Biwa hōshi who faced death is well known for his inquisitive character and disrespectful sarcasm throughout the empire, although no one knows his origins. Or the secrets behind his cunning smile.

Meiko
charac3.jpg
To most people, Meiko is just a little street thief, able to demean even the most stoic of samurai with her remarks. And although sometimes the little girl can be an unbearable little demon, she hides many talents as well as a great empathy and understanding.

Sadako-Hime
charac4.jpg

Known as the most beautiful woman in the empire, Sadako-hime is much more than a beautiful face. Her political sense is keen and no one knows how to dance better among court intrigues than she. However, her love for artists and poets will bring her the deepest suffering.

logo-2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot2.png
screenshot.png

logo-4.png

Literary : Musashi Ejii Yoshikawa, Heike monogatari (unknow writer), The Tale of Genji Murasaki Shikubu, The Shikanoko series by Lian Hearn, the Illiad by Homer, and the best book ever written : The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R Tolkien .

Mangas : Angolmois : Records of the mongol invasion by Nanahiko Takagani. The man who killed Nobunaga by Kenzaburo AKECHI, Yutaka TODO

Sources : « Histoire du Japon médiéval – Le monde à l’envers » Pierre-François Souyri, « Contes et légendes – Les samouraïs by Anne Jonas », the youtube channel The Shogunate (One of the main causes of my recent obsession with feudal Japan)

Tabletop RPG and boardgames : The Legends of the 5 rings, Boardgame Rising Sun.

Youtube channels who inspired me: Echo607 and ToastyTime

Games : Avadon and Arvenum series by Spiderweb softwere, the Choice of Games series, Shadow tactics blades of the shogun by Mimimi

logo-5.png
Personally I find that the stories behind works of art are almost as fascinating (sometimes more) than the work itself. If you think like me this little section where I tell a little the story of my life and why I decided to create this game could be interesting

When 2020 started I thought this would be the best year of my life. My biggest dream had come true and grew, I had ideas, passion, projects and everything I could dream of.

And then the covid happened.

And within months I watched helplessly as my biggest and precious dream was destroyed before me. My heart was conquered by a deep depression covered with anger, and I wondered several times why I insisted on living in this world.

But 2020 wasn't just the year of depression for me, but also the year I fell in love with the samurai. I am a historian and since my childhood I have been obsessed with past civilizations and ancient legends, but Asia has never caught my attention.

However, thanks to Ghost of Tsushima and the tabletop RPG / Card game Legends of the Five Rings disputed an interest in me, and the more I studied the life of Oda Nobunaga, Takeda Shingen, Tokugawa Yeiasu and many others, the more I was fascinated by their culture, their beliefs and their lives.

A few months ago, while I was rereading one of my favorite books The Iliad of Homer, I thought to myself "it would be cool to have an Iliad with samurai" but after a few minutes I forgot that idea.

Later, one night when I couldn't sleep anxious that life, despite its pleasures, seemed extremely gray and empty, I had the idea of trying to convey all my ideas with a video game. I had already tried to create many small projects on RPG maker, but none of them lasted long. I started looking for some ancient Egyptian resources, and although this research was fruitless I found some images of Japanese warriors.

And then in my mind an idea came up like Amaterasu "The Iliad, but with samurai" and this is how the idea was born which occupied me for months.

Now, for the first time in my life, I have a not too bad demo to present and I hope you like it.

I would like to warn you that English is not my mother tongue and although I have made a great effort to correct all the mistakes, grammar has always been my Achilles heel. So I would thank if you can point me to any mistakes you find or phrases you think don't sound right.

Thank you for your understanding and have a good game!

logo-6.png

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Looks very interesting. Your download link (as well as the part of the Story behind the game') are hidden inside the Influences spoiler though, making it harder for people to find.

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your gameplay and comments, BackgroundN0ise!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just download it, going to try it :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like it, but the first tiny annoying is the paart, game over, 7x because 1 tell
the truth, 3 arent, but the 1st one you encounter was weird because he spoke
of the "4th one", the on on the right had 3 things to say, but also 4, but after
a bit more thinking, I got pass through (nicely done on that part).

not really sure what the elements exacly does, but I was on a point creating
the stats, but while you cannot know what answer gives what, I also notice after
reloading, there is a 5th option and not 4, maybe bring all answers in sight?
instead of scroll the last answer down?

I didn't continue from there atm, but from what I saw and played, it's a bit more story
driven game at the beginning, so I cannot tell of the battles and adventure to come.

but so far I played, nicely done.

not that the background really go well with the woods, I like the story, I continue
later though how the story go, and what will happen with teh girl that joined.
but it's a nice game, but you need to sit down for it to read and carefully answer
the choices for the path.

I would also recommend not to say "add 10 point to earth, air, void etc", but
on the very end, all stats added in 1 dialogue.

added points of choices:
+20 fire
+10 air
+10 water

but while the above the example, but I would not do it after each choice,
because of the story that is told for the path you choose. (this s personal reference).
but you can have a different view, but choose what you think best.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reading through this makes me miss Japan even more than usually xD Really brings me back. I hope I will find time to play it, looks very promising : )

Last edited:

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not really sure what the elements exacly does, but I was on a point creating
the stats, but while you cannot know what answer gives what, I also notice after
reloading, there is a 5th option and not 4, maybe bring all answers in sight?
instead of scroll the last answer down?
I tried to do this, but it's more complicated than expected

I would also recommend not to say "add 10 point to earth, air, void etc", but
on the very end, all stats added in 1 dialogue.

added points of choices:
+20 fire
+10 air
+10 water

Choices are the central mechanic of this game, is essential for the player to know when he gained fire points and why, this is why I choose to put the message just after you have made the choice.

I like it, but the first tiny annoying is the paart, game over, 7x because 1 tell
the truth, 3 arent, but the 1st one you encounter was weird because he spoke
of the "4th one", the on on the right had 3 things to say, but also 4, but after
a bit more thinking, I got pass through (nicely done on that part).

This part of the game is intended to show to the player the importance of reading with attention and making a good choice. "Bad choice, good death".

I am very happy that you have enjoyed the beginning, and I hope that you will appreciate the rest. Thank you for your comments!

Reading through this makes me miss Japan even more than usually xD Really bringst me back. I hope I will find time to play it, looks very promising : )

I hope you will enjoy it! Thank you for your comment!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I read it, but 1 is lieing, while you really should think out of the box,
so I love this kind of puzzle, I hope to see more of those, but not 1 is lieing
or 2 tell the truth, but thinking outside the box (not to far while the answer
can be in front of you).

but I also se the point of the elements added, it's your game, your choice,
but I try to play further when I got some free time again.

to read the story for the stats, keep up the nice work :) will report back once
I got further in the game.

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A little sneak peek of what is coming ;)

0BmcDl.jpg

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got Air +20 and Water +10, when Ho-Ichi told the Samurais backstory, but now I appear to be stuck. When confronting the dragon, all of the choices seem to end with my death. Am I missing something or is it intentional and I have to reaload a save game from before the backstory to get all the points in one single element?

That said, I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, you did a nice job adjusting the music to you scenes. Also though I do not entirely see through it by now the system and mechanics are quite cool so far!

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got Air +20 and Water +10, when Ho-Ichi told the Samurais backstory, but now I appear to be stuck. When confronting the dragon, all of the choices seem to end with my death. Am I missing something or is it intentional and I have to reaload a save game from before the backstory to get all the points in one single element?

That said, I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, you did a nice job adjusting the music to you scenes. Also though I do not entirely see through it by now the system and mechanics are quite cool so far!

Hello, thanks for playing!

Well the game was design to whatever stats you have, there is always a route possible. However, I am afraid that you have founded a combination where you are stuck... I will try to fix this, but for now, I recommend redo the stats.... sorry about that...

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if there is a possible of route (per answer or per story cutscene) you need
loads of checks if air +10, +20, +30 etc, and do the same
with all others, than I wonder why based on stats? because it can give
a different story if the stats are different/lower or higher?

if so, it's something you dont see everyday :)

EDIT:
I got passed the dragon, finally, and killed it, but during those choiced,
I found some typo's, cannot tell which choice has one,

1 of the choices has the word "yokay" instead of yokai that is used,
1 of the choices has the word "finf" instead of find (try to negotate the dragon),
and there was another tiny typo I forgot, also in the beginning, I think I saw
during the intro (before you get movement or after "meiko was found",
the word "battel" if not mistaken, that should be battle.

I am at the "pink lake", but also in the menu of the items:
honor, Glory, Will to live => has no information on them.

key items, does not have one either.

are those intentionals? or will be there some information?

Last edited:

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if there is a possible of route (per answer or per story cutscene) you need
loads of checks if air +10, +20, +30 etc, and do the same
with all others, than I wonder why based on stats? because it can give
a different story if the stats are different/lower or higher?

if so, it's something you dont see everyday :)

EDIT:
I got passed the dragon, finally, and killed it, but during those choiced,
I found some typo's, cannot tell which choice has one,

1 of the choices has the word "yokay" instead of yokai that is used,
1 of the choices has the word "finf" instead of find (try to negotate the dragon),
and there was another tiny typo I forgot, also in the beginning, I think I saw
during the intro (before you get movement or after "meiko was found",
the word "battel" if not mistaken, that should be battle.

I am at the "pink lake", but also in the menu of the items:
honor, Glory, Will to live => has no information on them.

key items, does not have one either.

are those intentionals? or will be there some information?

1) Yes the story can change if the stats are lower/higher
2) I will try to find those typos, thank you.
3) Well for me Glory, Will to Live and Life points didn't have descriptions because for me the title is self-explanatory, but I may change that. Normally the items should have a little of background and explanation, except the scrolls of lore. Those you need to use to read (maybe I can better explain that...)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you dnt have a big description, you can make them very short,
honor is required to live, .... whatelse that should be added,
will and glory the same way, short and to the point :)

see it as a short reminder in case we forgot if we play later again,
and think, what did those do? (if you know what I mean).

the story intrest me more than the current adventure personally.
this because no really battles to attackm if this is more story based game,
than an average adventure, battle system, I think you should mention that,
unless the "real" starting point starts at the pink lake around?

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the story intrest me more than the current adventure personally.
this because no really battles to attackm if this is more story based game,
than an average adventure, battle system, I think you should mention that,
unless the "real" starting point starts at the pink lake around?
To be honest, the story is the focus of my game, I see "Winter" much more like a visual novel with RPG elements than the opposite. None of my previous games was finished because I find the battle system of RPG maker boring and I suck really bad to create new and engaging battle mechanics. So for this one I told my self: "If I focus on what I truly like (worldbuilding and story) and simply ignore the battles?"

My idea is that the "fun" part of the game is making choices and seeing your choices interfere in the narrative like a Telltale game wanna be...

In ithio I label my game as a visual novel, but to be honest I didn't "sell" my game like that because visual novels that don't have hentai tend to be complete ignored by gamers XD

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you TheGamedawg for your gameplay and commentaries

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for next update! :)
I really want to get a cat... but our puppy is still... well... a puppy and would eat and bark at a cat if we got one... *sighs* I guess I'll wait a couple of years~
unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teckelson67