RMMV Winter - A Samurai tale (New version LIVE! Better graphics and a little of voice acting!)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in the demo, when you play the game (which where I was too) but not play it,
there is also a typo on the last guy that say "tief" instead of thief :).

a game based on choices is a nice idea though. maybe I see where it ends when
I got some more time to play further.

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in the demo, when you play the game (which where I was too) but not play it,
there is also a typo on the last guy that say "tief" instead of thief :).

a game based on choices is a nice idea though. maybe I see where it ends when
I got some more time to play further.
Typo corrected, thank you!

Twofla

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just finished reading the plot and features of the game, it would seem to be super cool. The game is already downloaded ready to be tried :)

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just finished reading the plot and features of the game, it would seem to be super cool. The game is already downloaded ready to be tried :)
I hope you will enjoy it!

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys and girls! I am playing a little with the visuals and would like to ask you if you enjoy a little change that I made in the portraits. I put an ancient Japanese painting in the background.
Sans titre.png

Nakao Daisako.png

Meiko.png

Seppun Sadako.png

The idea would be that each character would have a unique board to make the game more visually interesting. However, I'm afraid this will be too much. What do you think?

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
looks good, just make it not to bright though, try to transparancy to 50%,
than use a white or black background, but I like the looks of it though =)

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Soooooooooooo, this is very embarrassing... but I have uploaded a bugged version where you start the game in the last scene and the games crashes... I don't know when this bugged mess was uploaded, but I have uploaded the new version. So I recommend, download the game again.

Sorry about that...

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Jo!
I'm done with my first playthrough now and though I took a while before really getting into it, I honestly enjoyed playing! I'm even kinda sad it's over already. Hopefully I won't have to wait to long for the next part^^

But I suppose you'd like to have some more detailed feedback too, so here we go:

• I really like your dialogue writing. I did need some time before I grew to like Daisakos stoic nature, but as soon as Meiko joined and had some conversations with him, that lured him out of his comfort zone, he made for a fine protagonist. There are a few minor lines that felt off to me though, like "Home, sweet home". This phrase seemed kinda out of character for me, I'd rather let him express his joy of being home in a more polished way. Another one was his outcall "MOM", when he sees his mother. I expected him to adress her with "Honorable Mother" or something or at least "Mother" alone. Of course you can use this breakout of his normal speaking pattern to show his feels, but if this was the reason, I would recommend to add a scene that shows that he's not always adressing her like that. Maybe Meiko can ask him about her, using the word "Mom", while he replies referring to her as "My honorable mother" ... you get the point^^ Everything Ho-Ichi said is point, though :D Really liked his comments!

• Talking about Ho-Ichi, maybe you want to change the design of his faceset, according to his sprite: His walking sprite looks way more interesting, due to the blind eyes, while his portrait's eyes are just greyed out, but still have an iris. I know it's probably more realistic this way, but since the other main characters do also look quite ordinary, you could use him to spice it up a bit. Some other things you might consider, regarding the design: Maybe make the fish in the capital more transparent, so that they actually look like they are under water. The capital itself looks great though, really adds to the atmosphere.

• In general I think the atmosphere you create is the main strength of this game. As I already said, after playing the prologue, you did an awesome job making the music fit to your scenes (or the other way around?)

• The biggest flaw however is the gamepley, in my opinion (at least at this point). The riddles are good. I enjoyed the different yokai and I hope there will be more to come and also the decision making and the system with the five elements are great, but the parts in between seem kinda pointless, namely every time you actually play your character: You just wander from one scene to the next. So you could also make this whole game a visual novel, or - and that's what I would recommend - add more things the player can interact with! Your writing is good enough, that you can make exploring more fun just by having your character talk about things - preferably lore or story related, but also just for characterisation.

• The "Will-To-Life"-Mechanics on the other hand is quite cool! Adds a permanent thrill to making decisions. I also liked the way to restore it by being soothed by your friends and loved ones. Maybe you could even go further by having stat and/or story related penalties or benefits for high/low Will-To-Life-values to keep your players from just reloading after losing some points.

• I also like the lore about the different clans, but I can imagine that it might be a bit boring to some players. I think it would be more interesting if you'd have met some plot relevant characters of these clans before or had the clans and their actions mentioned in some dialogues, so that they actual mean something to the player, when they encounter their embassadors.

So yeah, those were my thoughts, while playing. All in all you did a really good job and as I said, I'm waiting for you to continue! I did not encounter any bugs so far, but I didn't search for them either^^ A few minor things you might want to change:
  • In the tutorial about the three classes, one of the text boxes (before Daisako begins to speak) is located at the lower edge of the screen instead of in the middle, like the others.
  • When rolling the lore about the swan clan, it says their banner is a golden swan on white, while you see a very present white swan on gold in the background^^
  • When first meeting Yoshimori, he talks to you, but is facing the other way all the time. Maybe you want him to turn around a few times between you and the children.

If you are interested in the choices I made:
  • Waited mediating for the samurai in the back story but killed him in a duel, after he challenged me
  • Killed the dragon with an arrow
  • Accepted Yoshimori challenge and killed him in the duel
  • Tried to safe Sadako-Hime first
  • Ignored the women attacked by the Yokai (died in my first attempt to save her)

Maybe I will start a second playthrough soon. Keep up the good work!

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A huge thank you to you coucassi for your patience and comments! It means a lot to me!!!
There are a few minor lines that felt off to me though, like "Home, sweet home". This phrase seemed kinda out of character for me, I'd rather let him express his joy of being home in a more polished way
Yeah, you are right, I will change that.
Talking about Ho-Ichi, maybe you want to change the design of his faceset, according to his sprite: His walking sprite looks way more interesting, due to the blind eyes, while his portrait's eyes are just greyed out, but still have an iris.
So, My first draft of the character was like that, but without an iris he was less expressive and a little creepy, which doesn't work well with the function of the character in the story.
  • In general I think the atmosphere you create is the main strength of this game. As I already said, after playing the prologue, you did an awesome job making the music fit to your scenes (or the other way around?)
Thank you! Is kinda both, I take a LOT of time choosing each music with attention to be sure that it will create the right atmosphere. Once the music is there, I rewatch the cutscenes to make sure that the text and the music are in synchrony.

• The biggest flaw however is the gamepley, in my opinion (at least at this point). The riddles are good. I enjoyed the different yokai and I hope there will be more to come and also the decision making and the system with the five elements are great, but the parts in between seem kinda pointless, namely every time you actually play your character: You just wander from one scene to the next. So you could also make this whole game a visual novel, or - and that's what I would recommend - add more things the player can interact with! Your writing is good enough, that you can make exploring more fun just by having your character talk about things - preferably lore or story related, but also just for characterisation.
I will take that in consideration for part II, buuuuuuuuut I will not change part I (I need do get forward to end this project one day)

• The "Will-To-Life"-Mechanics on the other hand is quite cool! Adds a permanent thrill to making decisions. I also liked the way to restore it by being soothed by your friends and loved ones. Maybe you could even go further by having stat and/or story related penalties or benefits for high/low Will-To-Life-values to keep your players from just reloading after losing some points.
Don't worry, it was always my idea to do that in the game. Part II will go MUCH MORE DEEP in this aspect

• I also like the lore about the different clans, but I can imagine that it might be a bit boring to some players. I think it would be more interesting if you'd have met some plot relevant characters of these clans before or had the clans and their actions mentioned in some dialogues, so that they actual mean something to the player, when they encounter their embassadors.
Well the idea of part II is to visit each clan to know them personally, my idea with this part was to offer lore to the geeks like me who love sacrifice a good night of sleep, to study each detail of ancient kingdoms (fictional or not)

• Ignored the women attacked by the Yokai (died in my first attempt to save her)
It is possible to save her... but very hard.

I am happy that you have enjoyed it, part II will take a little time to be ready, but take a little sneak peek ;)
Sans titre.png

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will take that in consideration for part II, buuuuuuuuut I will not change part I (I need do get forward to end this project one day)
Good decision in my opinion : ) Even though a game will benefit from this kind of polishing, it's far more important to actually make progress. You can always go back, when you are finished. Also your demo isn't that long, so it's not a problem if you have more interactions from now on.

Take all the time you need for part two, I know how long those things can take :D If I grow to bored waiting I will try to find out how to save that girl^^

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello brave samurai!

While I'm still working on Part II of our epic adventure, here's a "little" patch for those looking for an excuse to play again.

With this patch, I added some new choices, but the most important is a visual restructuring of the game. Take a look and tell me what you think!

LAede_Aveugle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I brought news, so I decided to drop by here and say "Hello"

Unfortunately, the second part of the game turned out to be much more complex than expected, and I can't say when it will be presentable.

However, I did a lot of work on the visual part and tweaked some details regarding the game's mechanics (thanks for all your comments), so I decided to upload a new version of the demo with better-looking graphics and a little voice acting!

Hope you enjoy it, and once again, thank you for your support. I can't wait to see your reaction to the rest of the story!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A repost of an old meme I had made, now with music

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katchelina