Wish to the Stars - Plot ideas and stuff (Looking for input)

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by LordSquirrel, Oct 8, 2015.

?

Which character do you want to see as a party member?

1. A friendly wanderer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A disgraced knight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. An animal companion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A mysterious wizard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A good childhood friend

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. The last member of an ancient race

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. An exiled prince

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordSquirrel

LordSquirrel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone! With MV coming up soon, I've wanted to come up with a medium length RPG sort of in the vein of the older Final Fantasy games. And I thought that I could do this as a small project to show the capabilities of MV. (I hope I put this in the right area. If not, then I'm sorry, and can one of the mods move it to it's appropriate place?)

Project Title: Wish to the Stars.
    Rating: T.
    Length: - 6-8 hours.
    Battle System: Sideview.

Plot premise:
    The player plays as two siblings, the older Arnold, and the younger Aria. They live in a small village where they work as the local monster hunters, although it is mostly just fighting slimes. Arnold finds the work boring, and one night while watching the stars with his sister, he utters a wish to be able to go on an adventure.

The next morning the two awaken to the village under attack by a knight clad in black armor, and a wizard dressed in sky blue robes. The two attempt to fight back, but are defeated and Arnold is taken 

Aria wakes up three days later and sets out to find her brother and to discover why the Knight, and Wizard took him. Arnold, meanwhile, awakens in a cage in the camp of his captors. He devises an escape with a fellow prisoner and the two go on the run from the Knight. The player will switch between the two every time a new chapter begins.

Gameplay
    The game will focus on combat and exploration. The combat will be a classic turn based rpg system that focuses more on synergy with party members. The none combat part of gameplay will focus on exploring areas and unlocking secrets, as well as visiting towns and having dialogue with NPCs.

Characters:
    -Arnold-
    Class: Hunter
    Strengths: Single target physical damage, self buffs. 
    Equipment: Swords, Shields, Medium Armors.
    Weaknesses: Magical attacks, defense debuffs.
    Stats: Above average health, and attack. Average defense, and skill(LUK). Below average agility. Low MDF, MAT, MP.
    Biography:
    (Coming Soon)

-Aria-
    Class: Tactician
    Strengths: Multi-target magical damage, healing, debuffs.
    Equipment: Swords, Magical Gauntlets, Medium Armors.
    Weaknesses: High defense enemies, focused physical attacks, element changing enemies.
    Stats: High MP. Above average agility and MAT. Average health, MDF, and skill. Below average attack and defense.
    Biography:
    (Coming Soon)

(More characters coming soon)

Hope for some input from you guys to help me flesh this out.

-LS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This part of the forum is - as it says in the tile - for Art, literature and Music.  It is not for discussing your ideas for the plot of your game.  I shall ask for this to be moved.

Two things,  

I don't think a poll is the best way for you to develop your skills 

and in your final line, I think you mean "flesh" this out.  To flush it out would be quite contrary to your hopes.

3. LordSquirrel

First Language:
    English
    Sorry. I looked at the rules for each area, and none of them said that I could post a subject with just the plot premise, general gameplay ideas, and some character biography. (This was looking at the ones linked in the Project development area rule guidelines) There was one for game ideas, plot ideas, gameplay demos that are in the early stages of development, for games that are still subject to change, and ones that are basically done. I couldn't quite figure out which one this would belong out of those descriptions.

And the poll is not supposed to develop my skills. It's so people can say what they want to see in the game from the character ideas that i have already thought up for it.

Thank you. I fixed the typo.

4. RoooodWorks

RoooodWorks Devil King Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I always liked games where u and a childhood friend journey together :p good luck with it squirrley Can't wait to see this game in action when u make it

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Plot and character feedback thread seems the obvious place to get feedback on those elements.  Gameplay ideas can be discussed in the Features feedback thread.

And by skills I was referring to things like your skill in developing a coherent story, with well rounded characters who fit organically into that story, rather than being arbitrarily dropped in as the result of a poll.  Who you have in your party should reflect the sort of balanced party you wish to build.  For example, you could not coherently give the same skills to each of those characters (e.g. a disgraced knight would not have the same skills as an animal companion).  There are many decisions to take when thinking about characters, so to put it out to a poll will not help you unless you are doing a very short game (hour or less) such as the one being made at the moment by a journalist as part of his review of MV.

6. LordSquirrel

First Language:
    English
    I've already figured out the classes and how they will work. I also know how the characters are going to fit into the game, because I already have them written out in a comprehensive way. I can slot them in and out as needed for different roles in the characters, and I can change how their classes work depending on which ones are chosen. I can make the disgraced knight more of a rogue if need be, I can make the ancient race the magical talent of the group if need be, the classes were intentionally left unmentioned so that i could do this without having to change what I've already said. All i need to do is slightly change some parts of character backstories to fit different roles.

7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The reason why you can't just post general game ideas in the project area is because ideas aren't a project by themselves.  Doing  a little real development proves that you're willing to do more than just think about making a game, which is good for everyone involved.  This is an off topic area, if it's about making your game it doesn't belong here.  I'm closing this.  You're free to develop this a little more and post in Early Project Feedback or get some feedback from the Plot and Character Feedback thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.