TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wish Upon the Star Shard is my entry for the RPG Maker MZ Touch the Stars Game Jam, and my first publicly released RPG Maker game!

In this game, you play as a pair of siblings, who have been on a long and difficult journey, and have finally reached their destination. Their hometown had been destroyed by a horrific monster, and as the only remaining survivors, they set out in search of the Star Shard - a magical item said to grant any wish that one desires, and they plan to use the Star Shard to restore the lives of the people of their homeland. They had learned that the Star Shard lie atop the Stella Tower, located in the town of Starfield, and now that they have arrived in this remote land, the only thing left to do was to climb the Stella Tower and claim the Star Shard.

But... What might await them at the top of the tower...?

This tale is quite short, and you'll most likely be able to complete it within an hour. However, that doesn't mean that it's light on story or gameplay - there's plenty of exciting plot elements, and intense battles to be had in this short little game!

I would also like to hear any feedback that you'd like to offer me, especially with regards to the story. But please, I ask that if you do discuss the story in this thread, that you use spoiler tags to hide any important plot details from those who have yet to finish the game. Also, if there are any of you that like to record yourselves playing through people's RPG Maker games, I would love to watch someone's live reactions to it!

And with all that said... Please enjoy the game!

Attachments

• Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_29_15 PM.png
    Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_29_15 PM.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_50_34 PM.png
    Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_50_34 PM.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_36_16 PM.png
    Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_36_16 PM.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_39_45 PM.png
    Wish Upon the Star Shard 7_17_2021 11_39_45 PM.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 20

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd really like some feedback, guys. :(

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since you asked for comments, here are mine in no particular order after playing the game today.

I’m not a fan of forced save points. Save anywhere is preferable, but there are plenty of save points available in this game. I just don’t buy forced save style games.

I’ve always felt that instead of telling people the story in a narrative format, show people the story as it develops with character interactions and such.

Being able to steal from chests in a church doesn’t seem right when you’re seeking help from the guy running it.

Why not place items in plants (purifying herb) or in other objects like something under a bed or table that someone “obviously” dropped and requires the player use the action key to find.

The “talk” option with people is a good feature to offer players.

Interesting use of “SP” skills to prevent abuse. Obviously need to watch MP levels.

Status should have MP/HP max numbers available. (i.e. how much is 50% of HP?)

Your final boss battle gives too many HP to boss and any debuffs only seem to affect the primary stat with too little chance for the additional effect to happen (i.e. poison, stun, blind, etc.). The final battle also had a lot of chance involved in what was cast by the boss and the healer had somewhat lesser group healing skills than needed (lvl. 4 characters)

Very strange and unlikely ending that didn’t really make sense given who the Demon was. But definitely a surprise.

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since you asked for comments, here are mine in no particular order after playing the game today.

I’m not a fan of forced save points. Save anywhere is preferable, but there are plenty of save points available in this game. I just don’t buy forced save style games.

I’ve always felt that instead of telling people the story in a narrative format, show people the story as it develops with character interactions and such.

Being able to steal from chests in a church doesn’t seem right when you’re seeking help from the guy running it.

Why not place items in plants (purifying herb) or in other objects like something under a bed or table that someone “obviously” dropped and requires the player use the action key to find.

The “talk” option with people is a good feature to offer players.

Interesting use of “SP” skills to prevent abuse. Obviously need to watch MP levels.

Status should have MP/HP max numbers available. (i.e. how much is 50% of HP?)

Your final boss battle gives too many HP to boss and any debuffs only seem to affect the primary stat with too little chance for the additional effect to happen (i.e. poison, stun, blind, etc.). The final battle also had a lot of chance involved in what was cast by the boss and the healer had somewhat lesser group healing skills than needed (lvl. 4 characters)

Very strange and unlikely ending that didn’t really make sense given who the Demon was. But definitely a surprise.

Thank you for the feedback!

Let me address a few specific points:

SPOILER WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE GAME, DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER BOXES BELOW!

1. Save points were included for a few reasons. The first was that I didn't want players to get stuck in certain scenarios, and the second was so that there would be a place to allow the player to warp back to town and use the Camping Set item.

2. Well, I understand what you mean, but first of all, the game is kind of short since it was made for a contest with a limited time frame, so there's not a lot of room for showing, you know? But second of all, for plot related reasons, which should be apparent to those who finished the game, the dialog being heavy (and repetitive) has a purpose in the story.

Since Alathamaskia is controlling everyone's mind, I wanted to make it clear in hindsight what was going on. Like, if you really pay attention to what is said, Felix will say something and will be immediately shot down, and so "Kia" immediately makes the exact same request and the other party instantly agrees to whatever she says. This was foreshadowing to illustrate the fact that if not for Alathamaskia's powers, they would have never been allowed in the tower, nor would Jacob and Rose have joined them. So that's why the dialog had to be heavy on telling - because Alathamaskia is literally telling people what to do.

3. I mean, it's an RPG... If it's in a treasure box, it's fair game :p

4. Didn't really think about it. Though I did want to implement some Dragon Quest style barrel/pot smashing, but unfortunately the sprites to do so weren't really there in MZ.

5. Yeah, and if you notice, the Talk option actually has a VERY important function!

If you try and buy something or use the Inn before using Talk, all of the prices are much higher, but during the Talk conversations, "Kia" tells them that they are lacking in money and so they immediately cave to her demands for free/cheap service.

6. Yeah I wanted to implement some "Limit Break" type attacks that instantly turn the tide of battle, but also...

This was also to help foreshadow that "Kia" is evil since she literally summons dark magic as part of her ultimate attack.

7. Pretty sure that's just an MZ thing. I didn't use any plugins or anything like that, that's just how the engine comes.

8. I actually raised the final boss's HP shortly before finalizing the game because I thought it died too quickly with the previous amount. It was originally 999 HP but I raised it to I think 1300. I think it also has to do with how you fight the boss - since whenever I did test runs, I always debuffed the boss's defenses. Hitting it with Poison helps too. As for the states not hitting often, this was to keep them from being too overpowered since they ALSO debuffed things every time you cast them. Besides, the final boss is immune to every state except Poison anyway :p.

As for the randomness of the boss's moves... yeah, that was kind of a problem, since I actually tried to set up certain conditions for some of them, but I couldn't get them to actually behave the way I wanted. For example, the boss was supposed to have a move that spent a turn talking, and only after doing that would it cast it's big dark element super move... but I could never get it to actually work right, and so I just made it a low priority move. I dunno about the healing not being effective though... I personally never had an issue with it when I was testing...

9. You didn't like the ending? :( You know, I kind of played with a few different ideas on how it should end, but to explain why I chose that ending specifically...

The whole game exists because Felix stood up to Alathamaskia, and so she decided to give him "a fate worse than death", by forcing him to believe that he was her brother and to aid her on her quest. And so, the ending is basically Felix doing the exact same thing to Alathamaskia - by using the Star Shard to make her into his real sister, he has also condemned her to what she would feel is a fate worse than death.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Don't you just hate it when you get a high level armor only for it to look like a metal plated bikini on your female character?? Seriously. How can that protect you??? Enemies can hit the squishy parts! :kaosigh:
Bathrooms are not designed for the middle of the night.
so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mekiboss