Witch's House discussion / remake??

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by johndfg, Oct 11, 2018.

1. johndfg

johndfg Game Dev Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The RMVX game Witch's House by Fummy is one of my favorite RPG maker games of all time. I love the art, atmosphere, puzzles, and pretty much everything about it. It's actually been a huge inspiration for me to create my own RPG maker game, so I was wondering what you all thought of it? Have you played it? If not, what are your first impression?

Secondly, another main reason I'm posting this, is because DANGEN Entertainment is remaking Witch's House in RMMV!
    There's not much info, but http://majonoie.karou.jp/index.html and show this! I may update this when more information comes out, I'm so excited! Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the original and the remake!

2. Blackyu

Blackyu Professional Procrastinator and proud to be ! Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Huh. It's been a while since I've last heard about the Witch's House.
    It might have been the first RPG Horror game I've ever seen on YouTube.
    Or maybe it was Mermaid Swamp, but Witch's House followed close.

Funny how those Horror RPGs that were basically the pioneers of Indie RPG Horror to the west are getting remakes now. Definitely proves how they shaped the subgenre. Mermaid Swamp got its own recently, too. Just gotta wait for Mad Father and Misao to do the same, I guess.

Anyway, I have to admit that the original Witch's House was pretty good. The ambiance worked really well, especially at the time (wasn't it already out in, like, 2012 ? In terms of Indie Game Development, that's a loong time ago). What also worked pretty well was the pacing and the orientation on both action, with some pretty intense chases at times, and puzzles. The latter being usually followed by a chase scene. Then a transition leading to another puzzle, rince and repeat 'till you find the Witch. So yeah, in a market that wasn't oversaturated yet, Witch's House was an absolute must for indie horror fans.

On the Japanese site, you can see a little teaser banner for the remake, and gotta admit, it looks pretty promising. The graphics are beautiful and you just have to appreciate the detail of hair floating to the wind. The main concern I'll express towards the remake is the possible lack of additional stuff. I mean, it could be great to replay the whole game with enhanced graphics, and it'd still be a good game, but a pretty bad remake. I just hope it'll be more than just the same game with revamped graphics. Like, I don't know if it's possible, but maybe expand on the lore a bit or add whole new floors with new puzzles,
    or maybe root Helen and Viola's relationship a bit more,
    I don't know. Been a while since I last played or even saw the game, so I can't say for sure what I'd like to be improved.

So yeah, looks promising but I'm tempering my expectations, we don't know much about it yet.