Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good day to everyone!
I would like if someone could give some ideias, of wolf's skills, in the my game's party have a elementist (high magical damage), enchanter (buffs, debuffs an damage over time), druid (healing supportive spells), and a tank warrior, so plus the wolf, that i wish he to be like a assassin thing, high physical damage and so on. (RPG MAKER MV)
Thanks!!!!:hwink:

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not exactly the same thing, but one of my old projects had a Dragon character whose big thing was his basic attack hit numerous times but was a bit weak. Maybe you can adapt something similar?

Persona 3's dog character had Darkness skills iirc, since the full moon and all that. Maybe you can invoke similar imagery?

I feel like skills like howling or barking or snarling could boost your stats and debuff enemies too. Barking could probably cause an enemy to flinch or something which temporarily debuffs their Defense and Agility while Howling can increase Agility and Attack.

And you could have a "pounce" attack which might have priority or be affected by enemy's defense less than normal. In general I think priority moves would be cool since wolves are generally quicker than humans (assuming your party is humans). Maybe a bit of an unpredictable factor could be added with skills with large variable attack damage could be pretty cool. Not sure how to work it in with your party's synergy though.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Game Mechanics Design. Thank you.

It can be a bit confusing between the two, but:
Questions about Ideas for skills, design-wise, go in GMD.
Implementation questions go in MV Support, where you posted.

Since you seem to have dropped the "Archer" from your previous idea, based on what you've said here, you may want to use some of the "assassin-like" skills we mentioned in that thread, particularly the ones that dealt with hiding and then taking one powerful shot. That's the most assassin-like thing I can think of in a turn-based system!

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I happen to use a Wolf Pet myself in my one of my games. Here are 3 Skills mine uses :

- Enraged (Passive Skill)
Basically, The Wolf has Very High Crit Chance and Attacks Twice in a Row on Regular Attack, But has Very Low Attack.
Purpose : To make the Wolf Pet stand out from the other Party members, As soon as you see High Crits, The Player relates this to the Wolf attacking the enemy, At-least that was my idea.

- Progeny (Passive Skill)
Basically, The Wolf grants my only Main Player in the Game more Agility, Passively.
Purpose : I didn't want to make the Wolf pull off too many skills, You want to make the Wolf feel like a sidekick, Not a Main Player. So I preferred having this Passive to boost my Player. While it wouldn't be that apparent in Battles, It sure made a huge difference against Bosses since I use a Plugin which is based on Active Turn Battle.

- Blood Gnaw (Single Target, Life Leech and % Chance of "Armor Break")
Basically, The Wolf has Low (15)% Chance to Bite at a Single Target, Removing all Armor on that Target while also Leeching some damage.
Purpose : I seemed to notice that my Wolf pet dies rather quick to AOE Skills (Even though Target Rate would be 0). Also, I gave it very low Stats (Intentionally). So to make it somewhat tanky, I made it leech some damage dealt back, occasionally.

Last edited:

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would suggest having some skills that deal more damage when specific states are afflicting specific enemies. Wolves hunt in packs and tend to target the weaker members of a herd, so the wolf character getting a damage boost against weakened enemies makes sense.
Let's say the enemy is blinded, the formula [b.isStateAffected(10) ? 10000 : 1;] will check if State 10 is affecting the enemy. If 10 is applied, deal 10000 damage, else deal 1 damage. (You can, obviously, change how this actually works.) Therefore, you can set up your wolf character's skills to deal more damage against status ailments.
This will work on a thematic level as well, since the Wolf can deal high phys damage while the tank draws aggro and the enchanter provides openings for them, and it also works for what you intend as an assassin type class, since assassins are all about taking advantage of weaknesses in the enemy. (This will, of course, give your game more strategic nuance beyond spam attack and guard/heal occasionally.)

I also invite you to take a look at this thread for fun formula ideas: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/damage-formulas-101.81905/

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I feel like skills like howling or barking or snarling could boost your stats and debuff enemies too. Barking could probably cause an enemy to flinch or something which temporarily debuffs their Defense and Agility while Howling can increase Agility and Attack.
I'm working on a party of 2 game where one is a dog and this is how I'm approaching it. It'll also have the healing abilities and maybe one 1 or 2 attacks. The game is really about the other main character who in turn does all the damage.

Assassin skills?
I'd recommend looking at the Rogue's abilities and skill tree in WoW. They actually have an assassin specific skill tree.

How about:
oAn ability to go invisable/stealth and be untargetable by the enemy for X amount of turns. Or maybe he digs down into the earth? The more turns you make it, the less damage they do. Or maybe if they're only invisible one turn, that one turn does double damage.
oDebuffs are really your defining moves here I think. Blind. Confuse. Poision Debuffs that make enemies take more damage. Not just an armor reduxction, but a damage multiplier, maybe 1.5 or 2 times?
oPlaying on the stealth idea, id your using yanfly battle sequence or victor engine stuff, you can make it disappear off screen for x amount of moves and coke back that do that many times damage to one enemy, or hit that many enemies. (I dont know how youd do this, but I think you can.)

Since it's a wolf:
oDamage: Scratch, bite, pounce, knaw, chew
oBuffs/Debuffs: Howl, Bark, Snarle, Show Teeth
oThey are summon plugins and think it would be cool to have a wolf or dog howl and call/summon "the pack" and a bunch of other dogs/wolves appear and attack one to all enemies. Like a really high TP or MP ability, or it requires some kind of item or other resource so it isn't a game winner, but can act as a sort of "OH $#!+" ability, and I think it could be really well animated of you got good enough with it. And if you made it attack 3 random enemies and were fighting a boss it would attack it 3 times.

Good luck.
I want to know what you ultimately end up doing though.

tekiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like i said before just rpg making for hobby, even if it's just a hobby amateur project I want to do something well done, for example I want to develop well the personalities of each of the main characters, so I abandoned the idea of the archer, because with one less character, to desenvolve background and etc, i thinked it will make the thing a little more easy for me, and a wolf was a good idea for the fearful druid who lived alone, why not with a pet?

I appreciate it all the answers, and i have some ideas now to begin with!
and i hope someday i finish this project, and i will have achieved my goal with this project if at least one person plays the game. Thanks again for the answers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[dpost]tekiro[/dpost]
If you want to add something, just use the Edit button on your post and type the additional info/comment.

I have merged your 2 posts for you this time.

tekiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@jweav8705 I decided to make some basic skills for he, then i had the ideia to make him have the hability to learn enemys skills, and i already did this with the yanfly's blue mage guide, and thats it.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been playing around with an idea for a game with a wolf character, and have used the Claw weapon in the game to represent various stages of the wolf's development, which is maybe something you could also implement. As the wolf gets more powerful from increased encounters, its 'claws'
could get enhanced too. Having howl, bark and snarl skills like Darkanine has suggested also sounds neat. Some other skills could be 'stalk', 'knockdown', 'rush attack', 'grapple', 'pin down' or even 'go for the jugular' which could be a low percentage chance of instadeath if you're really lucky (the chances possibly increasing as the wolf gets more powerful).

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ugh, can't decide what to make next!
The Dystopia
ikW0BYF.png
Recently got RPG Maker MZ. A bit slower with my current PC but I will be getting a new one soon.
evening progress; pretty happy where this is at so i'll take the rest of the night to myself =w=
5NJGyKY.png
It would seem learning JS is not a know it all for making plugins. While it has enabled me to understand what I'm looking at, I still have to find the relevant information in the core scripts. This is much harder than learning JS IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sograyish