Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I'll mention in the spoiler below the details of my playthrough:

At first I headed to find the place where his brother was supposed to be at, which turned out to be a church. After a rather unfortunate discovery for our hero, he said he wanted to leave the city, but as I kept going along that road it kept going on a loop (which was a nice touch), so then I went back into the city, met the NPC lady who was looking for her mother. After that I wandered around the city for a bit, found some more clues and various notes left by a guy I haven't met yet, and eventually I headed to the Opera House and the rest of the game I pretty much spent there. Not sure anything about a side quest, I don't think I came across one, but I did come across that leatherbound book which does not open and which has some kind of musical notes scratched in at the back. Any tips on where I can find that currently existing side quest? Also any tips on the alternate paths? I might actually check them out. 

I think most puzzles were clear enough and had the right level of difficulty. The painting puzzle was great. At first I wasn't sure in what order they had to be hung, but then I remembered there was a poem in the same hallway next to one of the doors, so I figured that would have the clues, which it did. The part where you were trapped in a room and had to locate the key was great too. I also liked the little tunnel part in the garden that led into one of the rooms that was normally locked. I think only the couple of bits I was stuck at earlier that I'd change - 1) The full moon safe part. If you hadn't told me there was another note in the garden, I wouldn't have ever known. The screwdriver bit that I had to do prior to it was all right, although it took me a while to realise that I had to use it on a screwed in panel on the wall. I kind of felt that the game drew my focus towards the safe and that I had to solve it before doing anything else. 2) The bit with the pickaxe in the basement part. The reason it confused me a bit was that pickaxe was equippable as a weapon, and because of that I didn't realise it'd be also treated as a key item that I needed to progress further, although maybe it's just me and another player might not find this to be so confusing.

So yeah, that's how my playthrough went. Overall it was an immersive experience and I enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Matseb

Since this is just the first demo, the alternate paths isn't all that in-depth because there aren't yet enough events for it to branch off enough. However, when outside the church the choice made there  changes a lot compared to the other choices in the game so far. As far as the only fully existing side-quest so far... it involves a diner. It's not one of the story involved side-quests though—but I plan on making several of those throughout the game. Thanks again, for all the feedback and for playing through the game. Spread the word, man! The more feedback the better it gets. 
@ everyone: I'd like even more feedback everyone! Anything at all that can productively help the project along... tear into it if you have to! I want this game to be as good as it possibly can be...and criticism is just a natural part of that.

Oni

FatalCrit Studios
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I  love the feel of this game while walking around. It is excellent, it catches the horror feeling very well and the tile work is awesome. So far for me it has been one of those games where I can't wait to see what happens, and that is a feeling I don't get very often even with big name games. Keep up the good work man!

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks, Oni! Those tiles are great, aren't they? Check out my credits for the list of people who made those tiles. check out all of their work...it's astoundingly good. And that feeling you're describing—that eagerness to see what happens—is exactly why I have gone to 'the dark side', so-to-speak... working on a horror game. It's so prevalent in this genre and the door is wide open as far as what to expect. Thanks for the feedback, and I hope you enjoy the demo.

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, everyone! Your favorite little devil, here!

*crickets chirping*

Perhaps not. XD

Been hard at work on the game, looking to expand the demo a bit and clear up some of the shortcomings pointed out by expert feedback! Figured I'd update the thread here a bit. Check out the Original Post for updated logo, screenshots and a more inclusive list of features. Also, I'd like to give a shout-out and a warm thanks to my friend Oni, who made the wonderful logo I'll be using for the demo moving forward. Here's a taste of the titlescreen now (although, it's moving background...and BGM... well, you'll just have to wait til the next updated demo to truly enjoy it.

Screenshot_TitleWork_zps9c592a40.png

Anyway, I'm urging you all to check out the demo...and give me some feedback so the next demo update can be more worthwhile...and also happen sooner. Thanks for your time, and have a great day!

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Been working on expanding the demo. Made some new content, tweaked some of the existing content...so far I'm loving how it's going. I'm thinking I may have an updated Demo version 1.2 out soon.

i've been toying with the idea of having a difficulty settings(separately for gameplay and 'puzzles')...mainly altering enemy health levels and available curative items for the gameplay...and puzzle clues and riddles and the 'sparkly' notification for items and objects. Not sure whether I should do this or not yet... Either way I'm treating the demo as it is NOW as easy/normal mode.

At the point when I update the demo to what I'm working on now...I think I'll pursue some let's play/ let's try action. Anyone have any suggestions who I should ask about this? It's a great game, but it seems some people don't

really like horror...or at least RPG MAKER horror...

here's a random screenie for ya. Cuz I love ya. :D

Screenshot_Kayla1_zps4d125c5a.png

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Been meaning to try out the demo for a while now. You think I should just wait for the update?

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The updated demo will certainly be a better representative of the game... I think realistically speaking I should have a new one up within days... AT MOST, A WEEK from now...

If you feel that is not too long to wait...then I do suggest that. There are a lot of little changes and fixes that have been made in the meantime...and there will be more story content in it as well. 

I'm still working on testing it all myself...and adding a few more events and scenes.

I'm hoping to add in some more bonus content as well...small side areas to explore—things of that nature.

I will certainly post an update when the newer demo comes out and edit the thread's title to reflect that.

THANK YOU for your interest, by the way. There are a lot of games out there...and I'm honored that you are taking an interest in mine. =3

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All right, folks...it took a bit longer than I anticipated, but I've released the second version of the demo! It includes the rtp, in case you don't have the VX RTP...and should take the average player anywhere between 2-3 hours to reach the end of the demo. MANY things have changed since the first demo, so If you've been on the fence about playing this game—or were waiting on a bug fix or something—give this a shot today! I'm anxious to get some feedback and expand on and improve this for future releases. 

Download link is in the first post...

Goatrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks really cool. Downloading the demo now, I'll give you my feedback when I've played it.

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All right, I appreciate it! I look forward to hearing your feedback when the time arrives!

I feel eager with anticipation...and...and...

Screenshot_Sewers_zps5f0ed32b.png

....yeah...I know how you feel, John. I know exactly.

Goatrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm I can't seem to download the sound files and the game won't play without them...

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It won't let you download the sounds file? I'll give it a look. Is it the downloading...or retrieving the files from the zipped folder?

EDIT: it's still working for me... but it is fairly large in size, i suppose. I'd give it another shot later...if it doesn't work again, I'll try uploading it again. It just takes a little bit for the file to be available when I upload it again.

and if anyone else is experiencing this problem, or any other...please let me know! I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Goatrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Never mind, I tried it again and it worked. Must just be my internet.

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't really play horror games, but honestly dude, this game is just great. I played for around 45 minutes, i'm standing in front of the Opera House now and plan on finishing out the demo later today. I gotta hand it to you, your mapping is very well done and everything feels so realistic and thought out. The town is designed intelligently and... right now I'm kind of at a loss for words. Just playing the game is inspiring, no matter what genre you prefer, the puzzles are great, the atmosphere is perfect and the pacing/story telling is at a near professional level.

So far, I've got nothing negative to say, the ABS you're using works well and I was able to get up to where I am now without being short of healing items. Keep up the good work with this, I've got a bit more of the demo left so I'll be sure to come back when I'm finished.

Oh, and I felt so cool when I figured out that Diner puzzle on the first try.

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Goatrider: Glad it's working for you now, looking forward to hearing about your playthrough!

@Hiromu656: Wow. Thanks for the kind words. I've spent a lot of time on this game, and a lot of that was spent on the areas you mentioned...aside from the dialogue. i spent a lot of time and made a lot of revisions to that as well, but I'm not as good at that. My goof friend EpicViper helps in this regard quite a bit. I'm glad you're enjoying the ABS combat...some people don't, so that's good. You've definitely got a ways to go with the demo...i'll tell you that much. The diner is pretty rewarding for the effort it takes. I hope you're enjoying the new weapon you got from that. Well, I'm looking forward to hearing about the remainder of your playthrough, as well. Cheers!

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I finished the demo. The last save I made was ~2:18 (hours) and that was in the room after the chase scene (which was my first death in the game  ;_;   I was so proud at first). The things I said about the game still hold true, the puzzle design is great, not too challenging but it forces you to think. Another thing that was nice was I never really felt like I had to backtrack, there were always new things being thrown into the mix that kept the game exciting, like when the Opera Save room gets locked, for example. Again, your story telling is spot on and the map design is incredible, especially with the lack of many 'modern' based RM games, your skill with tiles is just great.

I ran into 2 "bugs" you could say, one you're probably aware of: When you reload, the text "Missed" always appears above your head. And for an actual bug ;) the Spider Form of the boss you fight didn't chase after me. While the monster was changing form I ran behind him (standing in front of where the statue would be) and just fired shots directly at him and it didn't take a step towards me. Unless I'm a master of tactics, that's kind of a problem.

That's all the bad I could find here, it's an enjoyable game and I can't wait to try some more. Good luck with this project, I'm very excited for it.

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Hiromu: Well, thank you very much. i'm hoping the chase scene death didn't frustrate you. I'm hoping the fun-level kept that going. I appreciate your feedback. 

Thanks for the approximate game time as well...that satisfies a morbid curiosity of mine. As the game's maker...I often have to guess how long the game should take to finish. Even my main testers play the game often enough for their times to be influenced by knowing how to proceed. 

As far as those bugs are concerned...I had been made aware of the spider form bug a few days after I released the update (great timing, right?). I've been experimenting with how to fix it. thanks for the detailed description there, by the way, as I'm sure it'll help. As for the reloading bug...I have never seen words pop-up EVER, hahaha. You should be proud that you are the first to witness such an incident. In all seriousness...I have no idea what may have caused that to happen...let alone EVERY time you reload.

Again, thank you very much for playing the demo and responding with your feedback. 

p.s. I had just added some of the characters you met along the way to the demo JUST before I released the update. So as far as I know...you're the only person who's met a few of those characters. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on them?

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The chase scene wasn't frustrating besides the first "turn" i guess, since that was the first time i died. Like, one of the things would appear directly in front of me when trying to turn right, then I would get cornered and killed. But I learned the route the second time around so I was fine with it.

Hm, for one, I wanted to drag Kayla out of that room she was in. Both times that I saw her I got excited to see her bust art, but it didn't show :( A bit disappointing I guess lol, it's really nice art. The police officer woman was cool, I was able to sorta put myself into the main character's shoes (Thumps up to the game's immersion), so finding another able character in the game was reassuring for me. Knowing I wasn't the only one fighting back made the town feel a lot more alive and believable rather than having the player thrown into some odd universe disconnected from the rest of the world just by stepping into a spooky town. As for Mauricio, his notes are helpful, and I believe he was

behind the gate in the sewers
- so that made me a lot more interested in meeting him in person.

kingmakerspider

That little devil...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
About Kayla:

Yeah...believe me, it was not easy dealing with the second scene with Kayla involved. Writing...even my own playtests i found myself saying "son of a *****! why can't she just come with me!?!"
And about the bust art...I would've liked to use it for her...it is very,very nice art...but my artist and I kinda fell out of contact during development...so until something happens on that front (whatever it may be)...Kramer and his 1/2 finished emotion set is all that will be in the game as far as faces go...it is sad, indeed. I know this game is soooo much better with that great art showing during dialogue. but what can I do, eh? 

About Mauricio:

that's an interesting theory. I will not say anything either way...although something is definitely awry if on paper he is helpful and for some reason in person he is...cold? Distant...? Hard to sum it up at this point using simple words. All-in-all, very interesting feedback you've presented me with. Thanks.
Did you happen to meet another woman? Or see anyone else in those sewers?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will-o-wistful