RMMV Wonder Language : an educational RPG

Do you consider RPG gaming helped you learning English?

• Total voters

AcoBaco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like this creative use of your ressources and your parallax mapping. It looks really great :).

Also the goal of your game, learning a language, seems interesting and different :) I wish you good luck!

Soulnet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I could be wrong, but maybe the characters look odd cause they have no shadow. This sort of makes them look like they are floating.

The interiors though look stunning.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Interesting concept!
Since French is my native language, it won't be too hard for me I guess :)
I learned English early thanks to video games. While I'm nowhere near native level of fluency, it helped a lot to have games at the time. It's a well-known fact that kids (and adults, to some degree) learn faster through games.
I applied the same principle with J-RPGs to expand my vocabulary in Japanese. Any language works!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll handle your project.:thumbsup-left:

jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! I am starting with French lessons for English speaker, but if I get some funding (via crowdsourcing) I want to scale to more language, like spanish for english speakers, and english for spanish and french speakers.
I live in Korea, so I would like to be able to do it for Korean too.

If you have any ideas of mini games or quest that could help language learning, don't hesitate. I want the experience to be the less repetitive possible. The more it feels like an actual game, the more the player will stick with it and end up learning without efforts.

My though is that in RPG particularly, a lot of players are ready to go through boring parts of the game (repetitive fights for leveling, busy work type quests, farming etc...) because they are motivated to progress in the game. I want to merge these parts with language learning, so that the player will get something out of it.

Last edited:

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If they can remember a specific word several times, it can grant them a special skill, ideally related to that word's meaning, like a reward.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a very interesting concept! I've always wanted to learn French myself, but it was never offered at my Highschool. I hope to see this project make it to the finish line!

jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your encouragements!
I am looking for a scripter for a series of paid small jobs.
If someone is interested, please PM me.

jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everybody, just a quick update:

I am planning to release the demo by the 10th of August to the RPGMakerWeb community.
It will be in prevision to the kickstarter campaign that should start mid-september.

I am very excited to have some feedback.

Here are a few more character arts:

Orb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
This is SO cute. The artstyle is really appealing, it's something like Dofus meets Alice in Wonderland (?):kaojoy:
I've always wanted to learn French, so I'm looking forward to try this game. Looks so aesthetically good! Good luck with your game mademoiselle :wink:

flatpanda

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Regarding the comments on the sprites and the background, from what I can tell is that the environment and the sprites don't have the same depth of shading.

I'm not sure if I can say this clearly, but i'll try.

When you go over your maps after building them, you smooth out the shadows as well as making them smoother in a non-pixelated way, yes?
When you make your sprites, consider not only smoothing out the pixels, but making sure the shadows of the sprites themselves match a bit more to the method you use on the environment might allow them to blend more with the maps they are travelling.

I hope that made sense. >.<

gaiashakes

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@jobar did you continue on this project? It looks awesome, even by today's standards.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And the beginning of a nearly complete grid system dawns.

I want to add a thin pixel border around the entire region. Like across all blue highlights that connect and red attack highlights that connect.
Ami
--- Remake ---

Hero: Hey,look! Some Artist will Remake us to 3D!
M.Knight: Really? Then i hope they make me so Cool & Handsome
Heroine: I hope they make me Cute & Sexy,too
(6 Months Later,The 3D Model Are Revealed With Unexpected Yet Horrible Model)
Hero: (Spit The Water)
M.Knight: What the Hell?!
Heroine: I'm Dissapointed...
my battle system is REALLY coming together. I can already see strategies between 2 of my party members forming lol. helps that battles are 2 at a time. but the combo of these two is really fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sokul2