Wondering about the costs of paying a team to make your game

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by AlanCasanova, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AlanCasanova

AlanCasanova Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    I'm not sure this is the right place but, I would like to see how much people would ask for a commission:

If someone would ask you to make all the maps and all the events for a 15/20 hours game how much would you ask in terms of money obviously?

How much would you ask to make pixel art (characters, tileset ecc...) for such a project?

How much for the music? 

How much for the art (like character anime style)?

How much for make all the script works?

And so on... I was talking with some friends about how much would it costs to pay a team to make your own game without doing anything else than choose the features and create the story line and some other smaller aspects of the game and so I chose to ask here how much would it cost in your opinion to make a 15/20 hours game with almost a completely different tileset, music, takentai graphic, maps, events and maybe some small custom scripts.

2. ♥SOURCE♥

♥SOURCE♥ Too sexy for your party. Member

Depends on what quality and features you're after, but I guess you will be paying for hour of work in that scenario.

3. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    Well we were talking about a commercial game so probably everything is supposed to have a medium-high quality, so how much do you think would be?

4. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    To have other people make the game for you other than "storyline and few features" Much more than you'd be able to make off of selling it commercially. For instance, take the mapping. Most mapping shops that I've seen charge around 15 dollars and up per map depending on size and complexity, single scripts can easily break 100 dollars if they are complex and custom graphics that you have exclusive rights to... in all you'd be sinking several thousands into it, paying for a limited license is one thing but exclusive access custom stuff can get really expensive really quickly. I'm also not sure why you would want to have a team "create" the game for you, getting help with the things you are weak at is one thing, but unless you have delusions of a quick cash-flow by delegating work to others and selling a game (note delusions, it is important here) then I can't see how you think paying others to create "your game" would benefit you. 

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On what basis do you make this statement? If that were true, none of us would be selling our games. We are.

I've moved this thread to Commercial RPG Maker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Take a look at existing threads in the forum.  The answer is so variable that nobody can give you an answer.

It depends on who you hire, how much they charge, and how much work you get them to do.  I've seen people who will make a resource for $20 and others who will make the same resource for $150, with little difference in quality.  The former are community members who use RPG Maker all the time, the latter are "professional" freelancers who do a wide range of art as their main income.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  6. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    No benefits on it, was just a chat with friends, I'm not saying that I would ever do it, but is interesting to know (at least for me) that for example is someone have a great idea (and a deep pocket) could hire people for several thousand and then try to get the money back (and in my opinion probably more) on kickstarter or any other kind of way to make money through your project.

And yeah there is not a correct answer but for example I was thinking about something around one thousand but i was probably wrong, but is still interesting to know how much people would like to get paid more or less, on average I can say. 

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only way you will find out is to tell people what you need, and get quotes.

8. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    Well I don't want anything is just a senseless topic pretty much lol, but lets see... I can try to make some example:

.Cost of maps for a 15/20 hours game (how have no idea on how many would they be)

.Cost of making events for such a game

.Cost on making the dialogue 

.Cost of 10 different characters 

.Cost of tilesets about the (i don't know) roman empire? (lol)

.Cost of making a few animations with the Takentai script (probably i spelled it wrong)

.Cost of solving any little problems that may come from the scripts.

.Cost of making like 150/200 weapons sprite

And I don't know I guess that it

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    See, that's all very speculative. It depends on many things about the game itself, as well as the people you are getting to do the work.

10. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    yeah it would be nice if people would say their own price for one or more of the points

Edit: obviously in an approximate way 

11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If I was still doing commission work I would ask for at least 3k for an original tile set that was complete enough to make a small game with. Tile sets are spendy.

12. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    3k are 3000? right i don't get it wrong? lol

13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Cost of maps for a 15/20 hours game (how have no idea on how many would they be)

--> How big is each map? Parallaxed or not? etc

.Cost of making events for such a game

--> What kind of events? how many per map?

.Cost on making the dialogue

--> How long are the dialogues? how many?

.Cost of 10 different characters

--> What style? Format?

.Cost of tilesets about the (i don't know) roman empire? (lol)

--> Can still have varying amounts, like do you want multiple city tilesets and multiple indoor tilesets

.Cost of making a few animations with the Takentai script (probably i spelled it wrong)

--> how many? animations or animation sheets? or both?

.Cost of solving any little problems that may come from the scripts.

--> depends on which scripts, how many

.Cost of making like 150/200 weapons sprite

--> style?

To me, it looks like you wanna get somebody (or different teams) to work on the whole game where you just provide the idea (so something like you're the boss, and you're gonna hire workers)... This will cost you A LOT I believe...

14. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    Well yeah you get it, this is what i was wondering about, but since i'm not planning to do that, or i'm not planning to make a game at all atm, i can't really give you an answer for your question, if you want about the style lets say I want an ancient greek/roman style for everything and for everything else i just don't know how to answer because I don't have anything to do that lol If you still would like to answer me I will appreciate! :)

15. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yep.  Three thousand US dollars.  Like I said, tile sets aren't cheap.  That's why the tile sets sold in the store are such a good deal.

Lorenze likes this.
  16. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    Yeah wow they really are I had no idea that a tileset may be so expensive!

17. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Style isn't just about roman etc... I mean things like, do you want it on the same style as the RTP? Or do you want them to look like the HF pack? All of these will contribute to the price so you will need to decide on those as well...

Looking at KS projects that use RM, they seem to be "spending" at least 5 digits...

Also, specific/exclusive resources for your project will cost a lot more than any pack sold in the store...

18. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    Oh my bad, yeah the style should be the same as the RTP

19. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    It gets asked all the time. It really depends on the quality you are looking for, the quantity, the time it must be completed, and any contracts you have (paid upfront, paid in commission, paid with sales).

Let's start with quality. There are all sorts of styles. A simpler style doesn't mean poor quality - it could still be good quality, but because of the simplicity it might be cheaper to, say, to mimic a 16-bit style 2D game than to try something more 32-bit style (with heavy detailed parallax maps and loaded with complicated events).

And now quantity. A 15 hour game could have 10 maps, 100 maps, 900 maps. So if you're paying by the map, and you don't know how large the maps will be, or how many, how can you figure a cost? A 15 hour game could be 3/4 exploration, in which case you're paying more for the maps because you'll have lots of maps, many of which will be large. Or, it could be a few maps, but heavy on story, in which case you're paying more for somebody to write the dialogue and code in events.

Here is a link to a previous discussion of this:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20148-need-to-know-the-average-costs-of-custom-scripts-music-and-artwork/

I'll quote myself here again, since I think it's relevant, and it will be as close to a guess as you can probably get with little to no information:

Also, my estimate is more for a simple 2D indie rpg, and primarily covers resources, while it assumes you are going to do the brunt end of the work (mapping, coding, eventing, writing, balancing). If you're looking for somebody to actually make your game, on top of complete new resources, you may be looking anywhere between $10,000 and $20,000 on the low end. This goes up depending on higher quality, more quantity, the longer the game, the more effort needed, and whether you're going for something like an old SNES game, or something more visually appealing.

Shaz and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  20. AlanCasanova

First Language:
    Italian
    Thank you I guess that it, actually none of my friends or me thought that was going to be so expensive, but so I'd like to ask, how can people make such beautiful game like "You are not the hero" for example where the team is huge, do they get paid like after the crow founding, or what?