Work: Game or Life? (New Version 0.026, Demo)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by SaintInix, Jun 30, 2015.

1. SaintInix

SaintInix The Saint Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Introducing a new 2D RPG Maker game, in development by Inix Studios.

New Release! (V0.026)

[​IMG]

(Requires RPG Maker VX Ace RTP)

[​IMG]

Version 0.026(80Mb, removed stuff I wasn't using) Download

Click the Spoiler for a Map of the Town​

This is a color coded map.
    Green is for Job sites, (The Pub and W.A.S.T.E. are not working yet)
    White is for shops, (Sharon's Rentals isn't working yet)
    Black is for Shops that are also Job sites (CashMart is the only one now, and it works)
    Blue is for Helpful places (Houses, Places you can learn crafting, do the Tutorial, etc. Other than a few exceptions, they are safe areas)

Fair Warning: I plan to add more classes eventually. Nurse and Doctor, Geek and Technician, Waitress and Bartender, Teller and Banker, etc.
    I'll make as many as I can come up with and try to use all the resources the town of work has to offer.

[​IMG]

' It's brutal, visceral reality. In. Your. Face. Toil for the benefit of your corporate masters under harrowing conditions, lose your fingers, or lose your mind? '

Work explores the hazard of living in a 'civilized' debt based model of slavery. Balance sleep with pointless activities to maintain your sanity. Work really, super hard, and get an honorary promotion. Without pay, of course, and more responsibilities. You're a team player, right? Good, go get 'em champ!

- Three 'S' System (Sanity, Stamina and Stress)
    - 4 Unique Player houses (All 4 player homes are open for inspection, careful of the laundry rooms)
    - Fight against the things you loath, as they come to life to kill you! (In work areas parking spaces, and laundry rooms, watch out!)
    - Bills! Try to make ends meet with your salary after taxes. (Timed bills!)
    - Multiple Shops (Jack's Hardware, CashMart, The enjoyment and Jack's Hardware are working)
    - Multiple Job Sites (All 4 Starting jobs and areas are working)
    - Multiple Classes! (Currently 4 starting, 4 advanced classes, plans to add many more.)
    - Difficulty selector (Works fine, monsters get tougher/weaker. No other functions right now though.)
    - Wear a Fedora!
    - Working weapons for all 4 starter classes
    - Crafting System (Tinker, Tailor and Cook. Make items to boost your stats, help in battle, or protect your guts)
    - Sounds! (Plans to add more custom music)

[​IMG]

Your name is Derik (Will make player name changeable later) and you must set out on the quest to... Pay the Rent.

Can you beat back patties of grilled meat? Can you withstand the horror of your Bi-Polar Manager? Can you evade time? Or will he catch you? He's coming....

Tick...
    Tock...
    Tick...
    Tock...

Be a slave? Or be free? Don't like the game? Blow it all to hell! (Planned in far future release...Hence the manholes)

[​IMG]

(Not quite complete, I had some organization problems with my resources, so now I'm digging through every PNG to find the person who made them and make sure they get credit. Even if I used one little thing, I want to make sure everyone is credited for their awesome resources.)​
      - Vlue's Advanced Game-Time and Advanced Crafting Scripts
    - Dekita's Perfect EXP Curve script
    - DoctorTodd's Difficulty Script
    - Hime's Mapshot Script
    - Candacis' Pub and Apothecary Tiles
    - GrannyDeb's Modern Tileset resources
    - Lunarea's Modern Tilset
    - EB/Tsukuru's Modern Lab/Factory Tiles
    - Thalzon's Battlers
    - Maker Systems – RPG Maker Source 'RetroBits Windowskin'
    - Audio by Quigon, Scythuz
    - Celianna's Futuristic Tileset
    - Avery's crazy awesome IconSet (Gigantic)
    - Hermit Crab's modern Faces, Busts and Sprites
    - PandaMaru's Trees, Modern Streets and Street Signs
    - Sketcy-Sketch's Tent Tiles (Credit to The Shadow as well)
    - Tokkuri's Flat Screen TVs
    - Hira's Street Tiles, Store Tiles, Signs, Musical Instruments, Stalls and Shops and Kiosks
    - Will-Harris font is copyright © 1992 by David Rakowski (Allowed to distribute freely with credit)

Please feel free to play, break, and comment. Suggestions are welcome as well.

[​IMG]
    Map008.png

Map014.png

Worktitle1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. SaintInix

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
     Moving everything around, to keep all the info about the game up on these first three posts.​

Update History(Warning: Large Spoiler)​

Version 0.02 Changes

[​IMG]

Added Keys for the player houses (4 Total)
    Added more items in the current shops, and added more shops, with lots more items
    Made progress on the skills and enemies for each class, as well as mundane things (Garbage, De-icing the freezer, etc)
    Made the Hot Dog stand, and Popcorn stand shops. One sells only popcorn, the other sells hot dogs and snacks.

[​IMG]

Added some needed space to the map
    Added Workshop to the Condo, and keyed it to only open with the Condo Key.
    Added Power Inc with regions for enemies
    Added City Hall
    Added Library (Down hidden stairs, rear of city hall)
    Added Jack's Hardware
    Added sheep for Cash (Pawnshop)
    Added city park/community garden
    Added placeholder for homeless shelter (Building, no door, or inner map)
    Added water on edge of map (Fishing related)
    Added High Rise Lobby
    Added 1 Bedroom Apartment
    Added Test Map (Used for testing tilesets on the town before making permanent changes)

[​IMG]

Added Laborer Class (Still need to sort out skills for this class)

[​IMG]

Added Allie, the forwoman at Power Inc, and the option to become a Laborer
    Added Rick, a worker at Power Inc, who is only in his 20's, and looks 60+.
    Added Stacy, Manager of Jack's Hardware.

[​IMG]

Added notification of class change in both Burger World and Power Inc.
    Job changers now give the player the starting weapon for that class.
    Added keys to the player houses, first two keys (Studio and 1 Bedroom) are given by the doorman in the lobby of the Highrise building.

Version 0.025 Changes

[​IMG]

- Removed Player House keys, they broke the doors. (So you can now check out all the houses available for rent)
    - Fixed Class Hit % and other class stats
    - Made all classes able to wear Clothing, Upgraded Clothing and Light Armor (More balance changes coming)
    - Finished the names, levels and formulas for all starting skills for the 4 starter classes (Up to level 10)
    - Added Chest with food item in starting Apartment

[​IMG]

- Removed Test Map
    - Mapped the Bank, Hospital, and Homeless Shelter
    - Added a fully mapped Police Station
    - Added a few tiles of floor space to the starting apartment (High Rise Studio)
    - Spruced up the High Rise Lobby
    - Fixed TONS of collision errors (Didn't set my custom tilesets correctly, should be 95% fixed now)
    - Added some construction signs on a few roads at the edge of the map
    - Changed building lights
    - Added Security Cameras and TV Dishes
    - Swapped a few tilesets to add more flavor to town

[​IMG]

- All 4 starting classes working fully up to level 10 (Thug, Clerk, Food Worker, Laborer, still need some balancing I'm sure)
    - Combat/Job areas are open to all classes (That means you can still get in Thug fights as a Laborer)
    - Job Sites: (Laundry areas aren't job related, but have dirty laundry to fight)
    Clerk=CashMart
    Food Worker=Burger World
    Laborer=Power Inc
    Thug=Town of Work
    (I put Thug enemy encounters only on parking lots, where the cars have parking spaces. So you can avoid them if you aren't a thug or don't want to fight)
    - Each class now has several new skills:
    1, 2 and 3 hit attacks (Random Enemies)
    Each class can 'Chug Soda' for a little healing (Some classes get this at Level 2, and some at Level 3)
    Each class has three progressively harder hitting single target attack skills

[​IMG]

- Added Ronnie Bob to the Pub

[​IMG]

- Added Neon Signs (Color coding: Blue is for the Hospital, Green is for Shops, and Yellow is for places you can work. Remember, CashMart is a job place for the Clerk but also a shop)
    - Added some Sidewalk benches
    - Changed a bunch of Icons
    - Added Custom Title screen music, and custom Battle music
    - Added Custom Title Screen Image​

Version 0.026 Only 80MB (Over 20MB smaller than V0.025)

~Update~ BugFixes for Version 0.026
    - Fixed Class skills and rebalanced a bit (Class skills wouldn't be given after it said you got them when you leveled)
    - Tuned down all the sounds to 40% level (Just WAY to damned loud)
    - Changed Title Screen again
    - Fixed passability issue in north eastern corner of the Pub's parking lot

[​IMG]

You can now sleep on your couch, in your Studio Apartment. It moves time forward 8 hours, and heals you 100%
    You can only be each class once. Once you quit, that's it.
    You can quit your job by getting a new one, or 'using' your computer in your apartment
    Added Guns to the game, but it's a secret to get them this early. (You'll have to PM me, it's hidden really well.)
    Only classes able to use the gun are: Unemployed and Thug
    Increased Cash drops by 30-50%
    Reduced the number of enemies to one per encounter (I'll balance more in later, but mixed encounters, not just one unit)
    Added 'SlenderMan In Black' to the north east corner of the Police Station (Evidence Room) He's a rework of a Succubus from the default settings
    He WILL kill you in one hit. Only go after him if you've got my secret gear (PM for info)

[​IMG]

Added a Tent to the grassy area near the High Rise
    Fixed Passability of Security Cameras and TV Dishes
    A few design changes, nothing major

[​IMG]

Nothing really on this front

[​IMG]

Added the mechanics for the end of a quest chain involving opening up a shop for guns

[​IMG]

Gutted the Tiles, Sprites, and Audio I wasn't using and made the game smaller by over 20MB
    Added a sound effect anytime the player is given/picks up something or changes class
    Added TONS of Icons, for skills, items, weapons (Tools), and Armor/Clothing
    Added 'Goodie' Boxes around town, I'll give you a hint... (Cardboard boxes, only on town map)
    Fixed the tinting happening inside buildings
    Add a nifty little 3 page event for getting access to the guns
    (Works great, but involves the secret. Will be part of a quest later)

[​IMG]

This is what I'm hoping to release with version 0.03

- Low level crafting functional
     - Bank script, and working ATMs in several locations
     - More NPC's to interact with
     - Tutorial working (Going to be a thing you can do in City Hall, so new players can do it, and old players can skip it.)
     - Opening Cutscene/Narration/Intro (Not sure what this is going to be yet, still ironing it out)

So stay tuned, and feel free to leave a comment.​

RocketKnight likes this.
  3. SaintInix

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Reserved for Tips/Walkthrough, FAQ, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It sounds pretty interesting - but a picture's worth a thousand words.  I still have very little sense of how the game would play.  Show us that fedora!!

SaintInix likes this.
  5. SaintInix

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Thanks, I do plan to make it as fun and interesting as possible.

I hear what you're saying. Now that I have the town mostly done, some custom music, and all the starting classes, I'll make a gameplay video to add.

Oh, and I don't have a way to actually make the sprite wear the Fedora, I'm working on that. Currently you can buy it as Equipment, but it doesn't change the player sprite.

Just as a reminder folks, this is my first project, so please feel free to make suggestions, or offer any advice you may have. I'm still learning and greatly appreciate any time you guys spend helping out. (Testing, advice, tips, etc)

~Edit~ I'm working on a Gameplay Video now, just trying to figure out what to put in it and how long to make it. Also, every time I go to make a video, I get bugs.