BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I currently have a setup where I set global switches and variables through a common event that manages things like skill behaviors and location tracking, however the setup is interfering with my encounter mechanism (meaning that even if I enable troop encounters it is not firing properly and battles don't start). Any ideas?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we can't help you without details.

please show us screenshots of both event systems.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What happens is that on some maps I have encounters only under specific conditions (usually for plot reasons) and that this is not being carried over properly to other maps, meaning that it is not being consistent with when and where troop encounters are supposed to occur. Here's the common event for the triggers as I have it set at the present time:

2021-10-20 (1).png
2021-10-20.png

I have not yet added every story-related encounter change to the event (so far I am only implementing the first one in this manner) however this should give you an idea of what may be going on. I have also prepared the following video clip where the intended behavior is not occurring:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, with that many conditions I have no chance to check the details, but there are two points that make me very suspicious of that event structure.

1) while in some cases the lowest conditional levels disable or enable the encounters, in a lot of the other cases the lowest level do not have an encounter control either way.
That means that in those cases the logic is "keep last setting", which is a bad idea for any such logic control.
if that event is supposed to control the encounters, every endpoint logic segment should hold that control for the simple reason as to not implement random effects.

2) you have too many too different conditions for handling something like that. It can be done that way, but it makes the entire idea too complex in my opinion.
you should make yourself a grid on pen and paper, holding all combinations of the switches, items and other options as the table headers and then mark the grid for active or disabled encounters. And then try to find ways to simplify the grid by combining settings.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the input. I have determined that the detection is being done, however I still don't have an idea of what's happening. In theory it should be working with the way I have things set but I'm still at a loss for explanation. I'll take another quick look but then I have to get ready for day job.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make a special test area on that map, where you place events that have different sprites based on the different conditions used in that common event - one such event for every possible conditional branch in it.

the idea is that you can go around these events testing if the encounter is on while seeing how each of the conditions registers to the engine.
Do NOT assume that a switch is on or that an item is detected or whatever just because you believe it - you need to be able to visibly check all conditions while testing.
Usually I suggest placing show text in regular events, but in a parallel process like that it would break, so you need to have event sprites to display that.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Small update. I ended up using the console log to determine that encounters are indeed being turned on and not off. I have also determined that other events are not turning off the detection. At this point I'm at a loss for ideas.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then show us the encounter table itself, perhaps you made mistakes there.

and how do you test/expect the encounters to behave?

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've actually been using the same encounter tables since the beginning. Again, it's only working if the common event for system control (global variables and switches etc.) is turned off, and nothing in either that event or the new detection event is affecting the encounter mechanism from what I have seen. I can also prove that I have tables set properly because at the very end of my tutorial (after the "talk with everyone" part) there is a forced battle that is set to be exactly the same as a random encounter (which is also hinted at in the dialog), and this works as expected. So I just need to figure out what the hell is up on the map screens at times and places where encounters are to be expected.

In the meantime I'll try to hack a MacGyver solution into the detection event to at least get something done with it.

EDIT: Looks like the MacGyver plan will have to suffice. Not only that but I managed to sneak in an extra visual effect that serves as a tip-off that you've got trouble coming. Thanks for the input, though!

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evening humans! How goes the game make?
The anime characters we saw 20 years ago,
still have the same age when we see them now.
Somehow it's strange but also beautiful.
It's like no matter how much we change,
there's certain part of ourselves we can reconnect to when we see them again.
Took a long, long time, way longer than it should to be honest...but I've finally finished the big content update to my demo!
Lots of not good things happening IRL but I'm not gonna let this day end like this. Quote time:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

So, keep going, lads. Whatever you do keep going. Until next time.

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CzCreation