Workflow Question: How do you handle long conversations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by professorbeej, Apr 1, 2019.

1. professorbeej

professorbeej Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, I have been doing it all in the event editor, typing out the dialogue and text-codes, adding the faces for emotions, and all that. I'll copy one character's last Show Text, paste, hit space, type the new content, copy the next character and so on back and forth and on down the line.

It's pretty tedious on super long conversations, but generally not all that bad. I was just curious how most of you handle it? Has y'all found it better to type everything out separately and then copy/paste the content into the boxes from an external document? Or is there a great way I just don't know about yet?

2. Johnboy

Johnboy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For the act of inputting I copy/paste text boxes and just enter my new dialogue.

As for planning them, I tend to jot down the general idea I want to get across and think of how I can word my dialogue in the shortest possible way. Nothing worse than playing a game and sitting through 15 minutes of dialogue with a bunch of pointless chatter. But you also don't want to miss a chance to develop some lore/background either.

3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah I usually do the same as you: write everything in an external editor, than simply copy paste everything in the RPG Maker editor (only the message). Than I animate the scene (adding character movement between dialogues, moving camera, SE and BGMs, flash, etc.).

One thing I have done to make it easier is that I made a plugin that would align the text automatically in the message window without having to fix the text in the editor. Meaning I simply copy/paste the text from the external editor to the event message window and everything is done automatically from there (spacing, alignment, separation in 2 lines at the correct spot, etc.)

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I just do it normally, insert a text box command, put the text, copy-paste-edit the box until the last one.

5. professorbeej

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hah, good to know I haven’t missed some fundamental feature for keeping things more automated for back-and-forths.

We’ve got the documents set up for scenes and dialogue and outlines since it’s adapted from one of our steampunk novels, but I was just hoping I wasn’t adding 3x the work on myself inside the engine.

6. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is why a one-minute cutscene can take at least one hour, and an intro sequence can take up days to make.

7. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I should probably do it with more structure like how you guys handle it, but I tend to just...write it on the fly. I'll then preview it ingame to make sure I like how it all looks, then make adjustments until I'm pleased with it.

8. woootbm

woootbm Super Sand Legend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really don't recommend writing as you go, or doing it in the editor. I think it honestly can be felt when it's done this way. A lot of times it comes out as meandering dialogue that lacks pacing and punch.

Plan ahead. Keep your text somewhere that's easier to to work with and more comfortable.

I look at it like this: given the choice, would you rather use a 14 inch monitor with a max resolution of 640x480 or TWO 23 inch monitors that both go up to 1920x1080? Like... why work in such a small space when you could just open Word or Notepad or Final Draft or something and copy/paste from it when you're done? (and then tune the scene in the editor as you get a look at it)

Kyuukon likes this.
  9. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah I don't recommend most people do it this way if they can help it. For me, it works great for random/junk/flavor NPC dialog, but I do have to go over longer dialog by seeing how it looks in the game a few times to get it right. And then, I end up making several revisions before I'm satisfied enough to stamp and move onto the next thing.

10. professorbeej

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I do this. I pretty much wing random NPC flavor dialogue because it gives me the opportunity to be flippant and quirky since it doesn’t push the narrative forward. It’s fun to think “oh there neeeds to be something super weird over here” and then do that, know I’ll make someone laugh, and then move on to something more meaningful.