Working on the same project with multiple devices

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I own RPGMaker MV on steam so I've installed it on both my laptop and desktop. I also spend most of the day away from home, so I like to work on my projects in my free time while I'm away. However, I'd also like to continue when I get back home. To anyone who is in the same situation as I, do you keep your project folders on USBs, external hard drives, or use cloud storage?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Steam Cloud Storage can cause a lot of heartache because of what can happen if it synchs while you have the editor open. From a thread discussing backups:
working directly on a cloud folder increases the risk of the project getting damaged.
That is because the RPG-Makers keep the files open while working on them, and if a cloud syncronisation happens at the same time a file is open and accessed by the editor, you can say goodbye to that file.

Work on your project locally and only move it to a cloud folder as a backup procedure
I personally use dropbox for working on different machines, (very rare) and I am very careful to include both date and time of my last save to it in the file name so that I don't accidentally wipe out a later version. USBs work fine, especially now that 16Gb, or more, drives are relatively cheap.

Edgre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NextLevelGinger I was just contemplating this, so glad someone else asked the same thing.

@Kes do you manually copy to dropbox, or do you have a script you run to copy the files. I tried drag and drop on the whole project folder, and when I got to the other PC and unpacked...files didn't all copy, or they copied wrong. Either way the project wouldn't open. So, something in my process went wrong. (Now that you mention that files might be affected if MV is left open, I suspect that's what happened and I didn't realize it. Will need to make sure MV is closed and try again.) I assume that a newtork share has the same potential (if not as great) of running into challenges with open files as does a cloud file store? I had a NAS at home that I was considering replacing, but with all my cloud storage options these days, it almost seems pointless to spend the money on another home NAS that could die and take a bunch of files with it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Edgre As with a lot of places like that, it tries to treat it as one file. So if you just drag and drop, it won't work. I turn it into an .rar first, then drag and drop. If you don't have an archiving program like winrar, then do a compression (the blue ice cube thingy) without encryption and put that in.

Lithalean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have three folders in Box Sync, plus USB.
Box Sync
  • Development (all my photoshop PSDs, WIP resources)
  • Build (Game builds, and Compressed backups)
  • Deployment (NW.JS wrappers for MAC, Ionic wrappers/Xcode Projects for iOS)
USB
Copies of those three folders. I update (copy/paste) after any big changes.
Picture

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ytviews123