Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I was watching some YouTube videos about exoplanets and had an epiphany! 1st a small science lesson... If you aren't familiar w/ what's an "eye-ball planet", it's basically a planet that is close enough to its parent star to become "tidally locked". This means the same side of the planet is always facing the star/sun and the other side is always facing away. Examples in our solar system include Mercury and Luna (our moon). Of course, the only way a planet that close to its star could support life would be if the parent star was less massive than our Sun. So it'd likely be an M or K type star (our Sun is a G-type). This just means that the star is much less hot/bright than our Sun, and therefore the habitable zone is much closer than it is in our solar system. Ok, now that you know what an "eye-ball planet" is, we can move on to the topic at hand...

I wanted to explore the geographical, cultural, & societal quirks of a world set on an "eye-ball planet". The biggest difference would be the lack of a day/night cycle. However, they could still have seasons so long as the planet has a high degree of tilt (~90°). Also, everyone would live on the outer "iris" of the planet. I imagine the "dark side" of the planet would be some kind of scary, unexplored, forbidden land or something. The weather would also probably be much more chaotic or violent compared to Earth. Most weather phenomena are caused by temperature differentials. Such a planet would have extreme temperature gradients due to one side getting all the sunlight and the other side being in perpetual darkness. This means as the dark side's atmosphere condenses/freezes, it creates a vacuum (or at least a zone of low pressure) which would cause the warmer atmosphere from the light side to rush over and fill that vacuum/low-pressure area. This atmospheric movement is basically what we call weather. The greater the temperature differential, the crazier the storms.

So yea, I was hoping we could brainstorm some ideas on what a civilization living in such a world might be like. I imagine "night" would be an alien concept to them, unless perhaps if they lived around the border between the light/dark side. Or if they had a 90° tilt, they would have a summer/winter cycle (basically a "day" = a year). Their sky would also be orange/yellow instead of blue due to the combined effects of Rayleigh scattering (at a much lower angle) and their star being a K or M type. Also, w/o a day/night cycle, the people there would probably have a much different sense of time. What other quirks might societies living there have?

*On a side note:
Earth is in the process of "slowing down" and may eventually become tidally locked w/ the Moon as well. For example, 620 million years ago, a single day was ~22 hours long and a year contained ~400 days. In fact, once or twice a year, we have to add a "leap second" to account for the difference. This same phenomenon is why the Moon's orbit is slowly receding further and further away (~2cm/year). It would take orders of magnitudes more time for the same thing to happen between Earth and the Sun, so long in fact that the Sun would turn into a Red Giant and swallow the Earth well before we become tidally locked w/ the Sun.

P.S.
You might be wondering why I'm bothering with this. Well in truth, it's because I'm too lazy to implement a day/night cycle in my project even though I have all the FSM & TOKIWA assets which both feature night versions of their content. I'd have to change my banner tho...:kaoswt:

Last edited:

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On top of losing the day night cycle, it'd simplify your world map. Essentially, your world would be one long strip of land that makes up the iris of the eye world.

Unless you want to get into some alternative forms of life scenarios where there are sentient beings that live in the extreme cold or heat.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dunno, like, how realistic were you gonna get with this? If you didn't care about the laws of physics and stuff, you could just play merry hell with it all and just have, like, Earth, but without day and night, and with one thin band of habitable land, and a land of darkness and a land of fire. Then you could just invent some funky words and modes of speech for your guys, but otherwise have them essentially the same as Earthlings.

The pros would be that your players would have an easy time figuring it all out, and you didn't have to do as much work.

On the other hand, if you wanna get hard-core with physics and really figure out what life on such a planet would be, you'd have to do a ton of research. Like, I don't even know where to start. :biggrin:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea...definitely more trouble than it's worth lol. I just thought it'd be a cool idea. Maybe someone can use it for their project, it probably wouldn't fit the bill for my current game though. I should probably just not be lazy and do a day/night properly for my project, heh.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were ya, though. :biggrin: Just skip doing day/night cycling and pretend nothing's amiss, and your players won't probably even notice! I mean, in a lot of games there's no day/night cycles and people just suspend their disbelief 'bout that stuff like it's nuthing!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is."-Krishna
FastFood in my country is neither fast nor cheap like it's expected to be, but people still buy a lot of it. I don't want to imagine how much of it people would eat if it was.
Started finishing up my bosses and characters...I don't know how long...but its going to take long...

I ended up needing to do a chapter one world map remake. It's still WIP but coming along nicely. =D
Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karuu