Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd just go with what you personally like
That's a given. I was just looking for some outside perpectives/opinions. It's not always best to just go with "What you like". I don't like achievements either. But there's no reason to not have them anyway. And it's not too hard to make something enjoyable even if it's not your preference personally.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally: definitely no.
No world map means every area feels like a real part of the world and even travelling around is an adventure on its own, while with a world map it only brings you to the areas that "matter".
The only times I would consider using a world map is if the story is meant to take place in many different locations far away from each other, or if there's a lot of backtracking to be done.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I would still make a world map, even if you don't plan on actually showing it in the game. It's good practice for world building.

I appreciate world maps on bigger games. As stated before, they help with the grand scale of things.

r66r

Fantasy dreamer... sometimes.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I said yes, but wouldn't do it the standard way.

As said before, the world map is important to build the world and to keep coherence between its zones (e.g. you don't cross a tropical forest map to arrive in a desert on the next one... unless you add a narrative ellipsis via a small cutescene).

But instead of creating a playable world map, I would use a picture world map (interactive or not). Because even if the game is linear (in its narration or gameplay), there can be several paths to go from point A to point B. Imagine that your MC is in city Y and needs to go to city Z, you can let the player wander around the city and let him leave it by north/south/east/west... or give him a map in the form of an image (key object) that would show him the best route to reach his destination. Maybe he will avoid the swamps to the east, or the cursed forest to the north...

This, in my opinion, removes some of the negative sides of the playable world maps while keeping the immersive feel useful to the storytelling process. And also, it allows to make more beautiful maps than those using tilesets!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I voted "nay" fwiw. If random encounters is your issue with world maps, might I suggest making a "noded" world map instead? It's basically a world map that only allows you to travel between various preset locations. This would remove any need for running around and thus random encounters as a result.

Example: (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark)
1656374692537.png

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I voted "nay" fwiw. If random encounters is your issue with world maps, might I suggest making a "noded" world map instead? It's basically a world map that only allows you to travel between various preset locations. This would remove any need for running around and thus random encounters as a result.

Breath of Fire's III & IV use something like this and I think that it's a good compromise.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Example: (Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark)
View attachment 230991

This is one of my "acceptable world map approaches indeed. It's not really the random encounters that bug be either, it's the amount of them lol. (That is a good looking map btw.)

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember when FFX came out, and I finally got my ps2 and played it only to learn there was no world map. I was so bummed, and thus the long line of hallway simulator rpgs began T_T
There was a world map in FFX, but you unlocked it later, when you team up with the Ah Bed.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There was a world map in FFX, but you unlocked it later, when you team up with the Ah Bed.
It wasn't an explorable world map like in all previous main line final fantasies though. You just choose where to go and it teleports you there. I wouldn't call that a world map in the sense of what we're discussing here.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uhm... You're talking about open world games? Is that what you mean with being able to explore? But... I guess not, cause OP said they work on a linear game (which is basically the opposite of an open world game).

FFX was a linear game, and the map you unlock when you're in the air-ship is a world map like any other. Maybe I completely misunderstand, but it seems to me like the FFX map fits the OP's question perfectly.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

eris2.png
just 1 more then I'm done with these sheets *tears of joy*
Im free today . finally have some time to continue coding . yes!
Regret that I wasn't able to actually finish my igmc entry in time for the actual igmc. Will probably just offload it as a standalone thing.
I'm a master in procrastination and have finally decided to educate people in this art in a seminar in Calais. Please don't come. I won't be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuylar