World One: The Beginning (Demo included~)

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
THE DEMO (LAST UPDATED: 9/16/15)
 ​
Coming soon: A story update! Major changes shall be coming for Eric's character and story, as well as the addition of more content in Deep Forest, and the chance to encounter Henri for the first time on Illfog! Many things are set to change story-wise, but that doesn't mean there won't be any more game play to show of. NEW puzzles and minigame-type stuff is coming towards you! No longer will the labryinth be your only source of actual gameplay! (Also mo' choices, mo' branches!)
 ​

STORY: Washed ashore and separated from his crew, Eric finds himself the newest hope for a land that he doesn't even speak the language of. Due to his moral aptitude and his apparent cunning, he is praised as a hero by a small band of outsiders, but the moral grey area begins to grow as betrayal, under-the-table-dealings, an enigmatic virus, and destruction of history happens; every being in Illfog and the land surrounding it seems to have something that isn't quite right about them- Eric must question who, if anyone, is in the right, whilst destroying one red herring after another in a wild goose chase where the clock is ticking.

GAMEPLAY FEATURES: For the most part, The Beginning does not offer any traditional battle system, instead going for a visual novel x adventure style. Most gameplay is offered through items and choices, which lead to different paths and endings. Other notable features:

-Some puzzles and reflex based minigames

-Fast-paced cutscenes

CHARACTERS:

Eric:

A sailor of 20 who has washed up on the shore of Illfog after being wiped by a violent storm. He was madly in love with his captain, Henri, the 19-year old daughter of his mentor from the Otherworld. He has impressive strength due to his experience on the sea, as well as a strong moral code passed down from his mentor.

Jennis:

A young-looking girl who has taken an interest in Eric, assisting him in various tasks. She openly states her goal to marry Eric, as well as wanting to take him to the throne in replacement of the corrupt royal family. She seems to have a latent magical power. Part of the "outside" group.

Henri:

Eric's captain, also from the Otherworld. She has gone missing, but Eric claims he still feels her pulse in the air. She keeps everything very professional, but at least favours Eric over the other sailors on her ship, usually leaving him in command while she plans excursions, negotiates with other groups, and the like. Her father mentored Eric before dying to the Beast of the West Sea in the Otherworld.

Abby:

A nurse, and the one that found Eric washed ashore, taking care of him. She doesn't appear to be attracted to men, but takes her job so seriously to the point where it's impossible to discern which "team" she plays on. She grows an almost sisterly bond with Eric. Part of the "outside" group after the murder of her brothers, and the betrayal of her father.

Carver:

A tutor who has mastered a type of aromatherapy that allows him to appear to have not aged a day over 25, bar his hair. He wishes to teach a new generation of heroes, then die protecting them. This reflects his reading pattern of romantic epics. "Outsider"

Samuel:

A versatile smith with a specialty in creating shields that become lighter to hold the more weight that is put upon them. Spends the bulk of his time designing new crafts, and pursuing the creation of an airship which he saw in one of Carver's books (which he has since borrowed to no return)."Outsider"

Hood: The 'leader' of the group of outsiders. He is against planning a rebellion, instead aiming to create his own kingdom, which he shall act as advisor to a promising child of his choosing. He wishes for Abby to bear Eric's child, and takes a liking to both, acting as a father figure whether or not they both accept it.

Prince Ewan: The only one in the royal family who leaves the castle regularly. He suffers from falling out with his mother as he travels farther away on his expeditions. It is believed he has left Illfog several times with a small crew. He is powerful, and the only one publicly know to adeptly harness magical power. He strongly believes in his own, black and white moral code, and sees corrupt people as below worthless, but treats those in his favour with mssive respect. He is on good terms with the outsiders, often feasting with them, and often praises Hood's leadership over his father's.

Ralphello:

The ghost of a hero who begins haunting Eric. He claims that he has done Eric's quest himself, and failed. He can make his body solid for minutes at a time, but it wears on his celestial body immensely.

god this is a lot of characters i am so sorry i promise that i wont add a billion more but no promises actually

SCREENSHOTS:

Also known as the only part anyone looks at in these threads! :)

4.PNG

fake3.PNG

screenie4.PNG

screenie6.PNG

screenie7.PNG

screenie1begin.PNG

screenie15begin.PNG
CREDITS

If you do not see your name but you do see your resource, please message me if you can.

Music: Eric Matyas

Joel Steudler

Jonnie91

Aaron Krogh

DesperateMeasures

Macatlas

Soundray

Pictures/Tilesets/Art:

hian (balloon set)

Andre Fernandes/fbu (trees and stuff)

Chocolate Mint (busts)

Archeia (Busts)

Sprites: the generator or stock.

Titles and stuff: Mine. Basically just that and the game part are mine.

Scripts: Dark Paladin (menu)

Fomar0153

Yanfly

Vlue

Last edited by a moderator:

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update Log:

8/20

-fixed some passability issues

-updated graphics courtesy of Division Heaven/Archeia

-recoloured main character (does not match bust ;-; )

8/21

-implemented busts and etc.

-added tons of new content (check update post)

-updated labryinth

-some of the more troubling bugs were dealt with...only 9999 to go...

v1.0.7 (8/24)

-Implemented Yanfly message system to allow for NPC names and etc.

-Updated title

-Fixed a bunch of bugs

-Added first part of quest 'a'

moda20

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
Hey ! 

i actually downloaded the game and played it for sometime , in general i liked the mapping, great map design. But in specific the outlook of the cave at start is not really good or maybe accurate so you may need to change it.

There is still some text which is not filled like in one of the tents the nurse i think says : Filled Text . The girl outside the tents is not talking just fast turning, kind of bad conditions .

one of the things i liked is the thriller twist you did with the time, the jumping and the maze running, but i didn't get that one time i had to say yes to "getting out of jail for Free " why was it there ? 

I didn't like the language thing with the *** it seemed out of contest for a fantasy game, also you should do some romance research before you make any romantic scenes.

I actually stopped early in the game because i was stuck with no buttons working after Saying "no" to the "climbing vine question". If it is a problem i think you may need to fix it and re-upload the Game ,Thanks !  

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for trying it! I'm aware of the problems in the town w/ people not saying much, I'm still working on that part of the story, so that should be fixed next upload along w/ the rest of the forest.

I have no idea what the climbing vine you're talking about is...is it the one in the middle of the lake?

As for the cave...I have no cave graphic yet, nor have I looked for one yet. That's the whole reason that doesn't match the outside.

Thanks for your comments! :)

Edit: yeah, I felt kinda bad for screwing players over at the last obstacle, so I added that until I could either make it less evil, or just add a reset button for when you get stuck.

The romance scenes...I don't technically have any. The one in the lake is something that follows after some other cutscenes, so really it's completely out of context until I make them. Being an early build, I'm just hoping that people like the non-battle system and the look and feel of the game.

moda20

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
here is the vine i was talking about : 

http://imgur.com/cYJMjrv 

and i want to ask you  about the party system, is there a real party alongside the main character ? i found two other characters when facing the fairy in the forest. and you  can't find them anywhere on the menu. the same characters i found near the tombstone and one of them will follow me somewhere down some hole and asks me to be "her husband".  i wish we could have some clearance about that, maybe a short story .... 

note : is there any way i can know that the demo is over ? 

detailed bugs :

- i can freely walk on the walls of one cave that you find after the water leap 

- temple gates are found in the void  if this is un-normal, try to fix it 

- i can find the ghost that gave me the codex  again every time i enter that area again, but he disappear fast.

in general, the non fighting style is good but the game lack some extra guiding into the story, you may need to work on that 

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah, lalalala, yeah, that's an unfinished cutscene branch w/ the whole husband thing. It will eventually be a mandatory cutscene, but I liked having it in there.

Addressing the bugs: 

-Yes I really need to fix that passability bug, I'll do that rn.

-I honestly don't know what you mean by temple gates.

-The ghost codex thing...yeah that's just me being lazy. I'll fix it in a future build.

-The vine thing I fixed. It was originally supposed to have the player move down after saying no, but I accidentally set the event itself to move down, trapping the player. Just removed it alltogether.

It's a single-man party system, but I'm going to just have the items screen show up in the future, since the whole "party" thing doesn't ever come into play outside of the fairy battle (which will eventually be a little less silly)

Thnx for the input, I'll see where I can fit in some hints and etc. The game's world isn't too big right now, so I doubt there will be TOO many problems, but yeah, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Okay, so there's some funky thing going on with the passability after the waterfall, where it lets you walk on air to the edge of this inivisible box...idk. Just added some same-as-character events until I can figure it out.

EDIT Uploaded demo w/ fixes. Nothing else new.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since I think it's a considerable update, I'm bumping the thread with the new stuff. :)

Added:

-NEW! Choose your words carefully! Decisions will start to lead to different story branches, meaning your choices matter. 

-So far two event changing branches, and four subbranches!

-UPDATED! Many updated graphics and busts, plus updated music (artists in Credits). 

-UPDATED! More story, more guidance! Actions should feel more obvious now, with the addition of some cutscenes, as well as the editing or deletion of some extraneous cutscenes. 

-NEW! Visit two new locations: Deep Great Forest, and the Campground! Save your progress at the campground (right before you can make choices too! ;) )

-UPDATED! Some minor edits to the labyrinth chase game to make it less unfair. Also I decreased the time limit. Give and take, give and take.
Upcoming/Next Patch:

NEW! Embark on one of two sidequests to progress a respective storyline! Then after that, explore a mysterious temple that make have roots to Eric's mysterious appearance on Illfog!

NEW! Choose to spend some time with Jennis, or maybe even meet a new character that I haven't even created yet...?

FIXES! I shall fix a lot of stuff, whether it be music design, tileset beauty/accessibility, actual bugfixes, or some of the miscellaneous plotholes.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Need some people to test the new demo. I added a lot of little things, and a few big things, and I want to make sure as much as possible is fixed before moving on massively. Added some more story, however, so have no fear. 

Also changed name; will probably update screenshots soon.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Uploaded a fixed demo, as the last one probably corrupted. There's some other stuff in there, but nothing huge of note. The "big update" at the top of the thread is still in development, but I can definitely see the goal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UGANDAN_KNUCKLES