World Remade

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Stoic, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Stoic

Stoic Game Producer Degica

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

>> DOWNLOAD HERE <<

Play length: 1 hour
    Download size: 128mb

Return to the land of Solest and guide a new group of heroes through the most shocking, devastating event in that world's history. Hundreds of years before the events of Master of the Wind, a fiery cataclysm ravages the world and leaves it nearly unrecognizable. Was it a natural disaster? Powerful magic? An act of the gods? Nobody knows, but those who survive must come to terms with a world remade.

Some of the game's features include:

-A new battle system that's far beyond anything we've attempted before! No MP. No Items. Combo Attacks! The AP System is easy to use and rewards experimentation!
    -Witness the immediate aftermath of the Rain of Fire, the most devastating event in the history of Solest that will still have ramifications hundreds of years later in Master of the Wind. Meet the odd couple pairing of Rustek the kobold paladin and Taraja the shadow mage...along with a surprise guest!
    -Characters are represented on screen with custom sprites by Sixty and beautiful full profiles by Enkur!
    -A new original score from Joel Steudler, the composer of Labyrinthine Dreams!

We hope you guys love this game, and if you do, please remember to support us during the judging of the 2014 Indie Game Maker Contest! There will be a People's Choice Award and we need your votes! Tell your friends!

-- Screenshots --
    [​IMG]
    Rustek must decide who to smite​

[​IMG]
    The start of a new mystery in Solest​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  2. xeroborn

xeroborn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I tried your game out tonight. I liked the summary in your post there and decided to give it a go. I played for 15 min according to the save file, and might go back to it. I've been trying out a bunch of games.

Some initial thoughts:

the opening was really cool.

the maps looked good, and the character art was excellent.

the writing was overall pretty good.

My main complaint (and the reason I stopped playing) is the battles. they were just too slow for me. I think (this is just me thinking back on what i played, and might be wrong) that there are empty frames in the animations. I also wasnt sure what some of the ability effects did. like the shield bash one, had a secondary effect that seemed like a stun but i wasnt sure.

I'll update again when i play more.

3. Stoic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback xeroborn. Hope you end up playing more but initial impressions are helpful.

I don't think here are empty frames in animations but a bit of a pause between the attack animation and the damage one. That's just the default settings. Still it moves very quickly and some players (well one so far) reported having difficulty keeping up with what was going on on-screen. In the future I might include an option to turn off attack animations to speed up battles. I've seen that done in other games.

Shield Bash have chance to stun although it's not explicitly stated in the skill description. But hopefully some experimentation would make that evident.

Anyone else play the game? Would love to get some more feedback.

4. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I started it last night, but I only fought one battle so far. My brain was too frizzled for something with plot haha I liked what I saw of the battle system so far! I always enjoy AP systems that let me flicker between turn orders and such. It's fun and good for strategies later when you have more stuff to do. So I look forward to getting to experiment with that more.

I liked the differing opinions on mortality and necromancy between the two characters so far. I look forward to seeing if that has any further impact down the road with the story and relationship between these two.

I was going to hold off commenting until I played a bit more, but it's too quiet in here! D< gotta make some noise.

Volrath and Stoic like this.
  5. Stoic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks Makio. Looking forward to hearing more once you got further. My brain was also fried yesterday after the adrenaline of crunching on the game and submitting it wore off. I tried to play a few games including Sunken Spire but I didn't get too far. Plan on playing it more later today and I'll be sure to leave feedback on one of your game pages. Love the portraits!

6. Stoic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Couple more screenshots

[​IMG]

Don't expect compliments any time Taraja mentions her hometown.

[​IMG]

It's gonna be one of THOSE days...

[​IMG]

Solve this optional puzzle and you're in for some phat l00t.

[​IMG]

Enough books survived to provide a refresher on Solest lore.

This game is serving as the "prologue" to a larger game so any feedback would be appreciative before we get further along.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  7. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya. Started playing and here are my impressions so far:

The characters are interesting and not your typical heroes, so they are fun to follow. The art style of the busts and the enemies is really great too.

I'll have to agree with Xeroborn though that battles are a bit too slow paced, and there's quite a lot of them too. I've played for half an hour now and all I've been doing so far is fighting the same battles over and over. Though the idea of charging up and spending AP is nice and gives the battles some strategy, ultimately my main gripe in regard to slow pace is the fact that enemies have too much health (or your attacks are simply too weak). It takes 3-4 turns just to deal with the most basic encounter (and more for harder encounters) and it's not so fun when you have to spam the same skills nearly every turn to deal with them.

8. Stoic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback Matseb. I will be looking into ways to speed up battles for those who felt they were slow-paced. I was treating this game as sort of a prologue to a larger game so I didn't want to overwhelm the player with too many skills early on. But as the game develops there will of course be a lot more skills and strategies for taking out enemies. I think the boss fights in the demo make more use of the full set of skills than the individual encounters.

Your statement that your fighting the same battles over and over is a bit erroneous. Maybe the same enemies but I did change the arrangements often so most of the time you're getting a different encounter group. The only enemies encounters that are the same are the phantoms and zombies. Also a lot of those fights are skippable.

Anyway thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  9. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya. Yeah, I did find some fights to be more fun than the others. The boss fight where various types of skeletons would spawn during the battle was a very well-executed one. However, most other battles weren't too different really from one another. Whether it's two skeletons or three, the battle still took the same pattern and a lot of the time I'd do the same thing each turn and for each battle, and that's why the battles felt repetitive to me.

You also mentioned many battles were skippable. How do I skip one? Maybe I missed the tutorial somewhere. I know there's an escape option, but that still doesn't remove the enemy that blocks the path forward.

I am currently stuck on the door puzzle that has a poem.

From what I could gather, I need to use family names that match the colours mentioned in the poem in the right order, and -I think- I've found the right ones, but when I tried putting them in, nothing happened. I tried both first and last names. The puzzle is a bit obscure. Maybe a hint or an alternate way to get past the door would've been nice, because if the player can't solve the puzzle, then that's it, they can't progress through the game at all.
    The game is not bad and can potentially be really good. Just a few hiccups that limit the enjoyment in my opinion.

10. Volrath

Volrath Knight in Sour Armor Degica

First Language:
    English
    What he meant is that only a few battles are required to actually advance the plot until the end. Most of the monsters are guarding items and such but you don't actually have to fight them if you want to go quickly. You'll be lower-leveled than you would be normally when you come up against the boss, but it's still possible to win. In fact, we've had a speedrun challenge on our RMN site and the lowest possible amount of encounters is 8.

As for the flower puzzle, it's the first names that determine the order, but the last names are where you're supposed to take a letter from to complete the word. Pretty complex, but it's optional. 

11. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I'm still playing but I want to bump this thread with some early feedback:

* There are way too many enemies. The battle system is quite strategic and engaging, but there's an enemy every 10 seconds of walking. I like that they're not random and most are optional, but as a player I don't know which ones are optional (even if I can clearly see one is guarding a chest the chest could contain a key item I require).

* The battle HUD is a bit unclear. They're just grey squares with the face/stats on top. When selecting an actor for healing etc. the selection box isn't clearly visible.

* It's quite annoying having to constantly hit Escape to Fortify. There might be a gameplay element I haven't reached yet (considering there's a window beneath the skill window) but it would make the interface sleeker to use a different button for switching back to Fortify. Maybe Shift. It's okay for the menu system, but battles are quite frequent and you have to Fortify a lot so moving my hand to Escape the whole time is a bit of a hassle. You could use a Key Binding script to set it to a secondary button if you want to keep Escape functional as well. Or bind it into the actual HUD somehow, like when pressing "Left" when the left-most character is already selected.

* The character dynamic is quite interesting, with that subject of necromancy. The story is good as well so far, but you've always been good at that. ;)

* Assuming the character sprites and battlers are unique, they look really good. I love the semi-comic style. Except the Phantoms (those ghosts?). The charset looks like a beautiful, creepy banshee (female ghost) but the battler is a floating blue flame.

* The skill amount is good, imo. You get them fairly quickly, too. My only concern is that the damage to AP ratio seems to be off on some skills, but that might be because of elements and the way each skill calculates attack? I forgot the exact names (sorry) but Taraja has a 3 AP skill that does less damage than the 2 AP skill. I think it's Shade and Shadow Blade or something like that. Again it might be because the enemy is weak/strong against physical or magical damage, but it's just something I noticed.

* The enemy has AP as well, right? Because sometimes they do multiple skills and sometimes just one. Honestly it's a bit annoying, because I have to keep all my character's HP very high to avoid getting wiped out in one turn. It might be a nice idea to display the enemy's AP on screen to vaguely indicate how many attacks the enemy can do the next turn. If the enemies keep getting more AP you could show a percentage instead of exact numbers, like a number-less bar that goes from 0 to 100%. Just an idea.

* Interestingly I don't miss having an HP bar here. The enemy's HP isn't too high or too low imo. It works pretty well as each battle is a little strategic and long but not too long.

* Some of the screen tints are a bit wack. Like in the house with the banshee. You'd be better off taking saturation down and adding some blue instead of taking all three colors down, I think. It makes the shadows pitch-black and everything gets this weird highly saturated hue.

* Rustek's torso graphic for the message window just cuts off on the right. It might be better to do a gentle fade or give it an outline there instead. Takes 5 seconds in Photoshop and will look 10x better. :)

I'll play more before giving better feedback, but these are just some early comments. ^_^ More people need to play this game.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
    Stoic likes this.
  12. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
     Cinnamon, I played this game already and for all the rpg maker games I've played "ESC" and "X" (or maybe it's "Z") have the same functionality. Even though most games say "Press 'ESC' to open the menu" I always just use "X" and "Z" to open a menu and select what I want. 

13. Stoic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey Cinnamon. Thanks for the early feedback! You certainly made some good points.

I'll address a few things:

• The current UI for the battle hud is not the final one. We'll be focusing more on polishing that up for the next release and making it more clear who is selected.
    • You actually can instantly Fortify if you hit Shift from the skill select windows. It's mentioned in the first tutorial but it's easy to gloss over.
    • Some of the battlers are unfinished and we used placeholder art from MotW. Those include the devil, phantom and zombie.
    • Shadow Cut is probably going to be modified. It is useful but only in a certain context like versus an enemy with strong physical and magical defense since it ignores defense. In regular combat, Shade has a higher dmg/ap.
    • You can see the enemy health and AP when they are selected. In general, skills cost about 2 AP so if an enemy has 3> AP then they might attack twice.
    • Thanks for the tinting tip! I usually just hit the "Dark" button which sets the RGB sliders to -68. I'll try that out.
    • Yea I'm not a fan of the busts being cut-off either. I'll probably try a fade. Thanks.

Hope you enjoy the rest!

14. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *facepalm* Thank you. I've been using a Key Binding script for too long.

Good to hear the UI isn't the final one. ^_^ Stupid me, I totally missed the Shift shortcut. Kudos to you! This will make the rest of the game a lot more enjoyable. And I'm not sure how I completely missed the HP/AP bars. My brain must've been asleep. s__s

15. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The HP/AP bars are really tiny in the top left corner, they're really easy to miss I didn't even notice it till the final boss battle

16. Stoic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'll probably have them hover over enemies in the future when they are selected.

17. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+I love the battlers.

+/- The visual presentation is just okay. It’s not BAD in any aspect but it’s not really great either. The mapping is extremely basic and overall everything looks very still and bare.

+/-I like the battle style, but the balancing is off.

-The introduction is long and only text based, which lengthens the intro in a bad way.

-The two characters are so serious and seriously lack energy, especially since the setting itself is also very static.

-The combat is way too hard and heavy laden even for the very start, especially since most of it is optional and the rewards (chests) for doing so had very lacklustre prizes.

To the developer: I’ll be the first to admit I’m not big on “serious” high fantasy anymore. I require emotion rather than serious talk all the time. Be it humour or drama, something! It didn’t help that the scenario was to bare and still, the game comes across as seeming very plain in context and lacks energy. The gameplay being way too demanding from the get go didn’t help.

It isn’t by any means a bad game, but I could not really get engaged or have fun with it despites all of its aspects being okay.

18. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    the battle system was interesting.

otherwise it was a okay experience.

Stoic likes this.