Worth It?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Brothersvv09, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Brothersvv09

Brothersvv09 Villager Member

Is it even worth it to get RPG MAKER. There are propbably other programs that makes games finish FASTER!! Intead of taking years.... i am under 14 and I don't have ALOT of time left :( :(.. so....... plus there are volentierring hours taht pay u so.... "/ i dont know

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Google it. Sorry, but if you wanna make RPG games, then the maker series is perfect, if you wanna make all types of games, go with game maker and such other programs, but conjecture what? Its gonna still take you a heck of an abundance of time to make a game, cause I can tell it will take you years to do. If you want to make a game faster, best to find some teammates to assist you, otherwise you're up a creek without a paddle.

3. Brothersvv09

Brothersvv09 Villager Member

-_-... ok..

4. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    whatchu talkin about? you have your whole life ahead of you, champ.

vociferocity likes this.
  5. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

I don't think anyone can really answer that question for you. How useful it is and how long it takes you to make a game is different from one person to the next.

RPG Maker makes certain parts of game development easier. But it's still a lot of work to make a game. It's going to be a lot of work no matter what engine you use. If you enjoy it most of the time, it doesn't really feel like work. It's fun. If you think it's taking too long or that it's too boring, there are lots of other hobbies you could have instead. :)

6. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Games take years to make. That's just how it is. There isn't a "Faster" way to make games.

Jawnsunn likes this.
  7. Zeramae

Zeramae It's okay by me Member

First Language:
    English
    A good game of modest size is always going to take time to make. Why are you in such a rush? Summer vacation? It's not a crime to continue to make a game while out of class I hope.

Unless terminal illness is involved, you have the time to make the game you want through this maker.

But more importantly; if you're weighing your time on "getting paid" then just do those "volunteering" hours that pay. Without the desire to make games; what's the point in using a game making software?

8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Doesn't that sort of depend on what kind of tools are at your disposal, how long your game is going to be, what kind of features you're going to add, etc?

I'm sure a decent 3 hour game using the RTP, an ABS, a couple in-game features like crafting and cooking and mining, along with a nice collection of maps and quests would hardly take more than a year. Even a month, if you already have an idea and are willing to put in 2-3 hours a day. RM game contests typically go 2-3 months and the games that come out are usually pretty nice.

All that time saved from having to draw your own art, developing your own engine, writing your own features, ...

Lots of doujin games are released every few months and some groups are pushing out games regularly at every convention, and some of them record their development from start to end on their blogs and it usually isn't "years to make".

Plus OP says he doesn't have a lot of time left, so if he wants to fulfill his life by making a game, why not LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  9. Monthigos

Monthigos Tata Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not really aware of any other RPG GCS that is faster than this one. Trust me, I looked. You should have seen what I had to work with when I was your age. ZZT anyone? ;)

10. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm referring to traditional RPGs or professional, non-casual, full length type games.

11. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My advice...don't get this unless you're serious about making a game, and I mean DEADLY serious! If you're going to buy RPG Maker (which is by the way, awesome!) to make a game, you need to have the drive to make the game, it will take a lot of time, there'll be bumps along the way, as with everything (especially dem vidja games, oh how the hours dissapear eh?) ;3

If you just want to make a fast game, this program is still great, but what's the point in rushing things? Anyway, before I blabber on too much (again), it's a really great program and can do most anything you want with game making, but only if YOU have the desire, the drive and are willing to use your time making games. Otherwise, you'd be better off saving your money ;3

12. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Are there? Well, if there are, why don't you go ahead and use one of them? This thread makes no sense. Anything non-trivial takes time. If you are in such a rush then you should find another hobby. I am closing this. Check out the trial. If you like it, buy it, or don't. Your choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.