Would an RPG maker video game store work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by IanCR, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @IanCR

Okay so as a developer that is considering trying to go commercial with games soon, why would I go to your site over Amaranth and Aldorlea? You aren't going to have the large user base at start (presumably) so what would you have? I'm all for there being more potential options for RM games but just curious what would set yourself apart.

Wavelength and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The choice of wording suggests that developers cannot choose to work with all three of them.

I mean, if you have the option to distribute your game on additional platforms, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Even if IanCR does not have a massive user base, you can see that there's still a decent audience from the minecraft thing and potentially any other networks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
  3. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    That was kinda my point from the start. Doesn't hurt to have more portals available.

Marsigne likes this.
  4. Vox Novus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You can work with all three of course but there are things to consider as a developer. Specifically of importance is the percentage cut the OP would take compared to the competitors. If its higher that would mean the developer would have to offer the same game for a more expensive price to get the same amount of money; a consumer would not want to buy a game and then find out there was a less expensive option available on another sight for the same exact product; they will feel a little ripped off (assuming of course we aren't factoring in the extra utility steam games have vs. non-steam games).

I guess its ultimately up to the developer to weigh that option though; extra exposure vs. game price and consumer opinion. I certainly didn't mean to say that extra distribution options are a bad thing.

5. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Actually I thought there might have been some contractual restriction that forces developers to choose between distributors.

6. Vox Novus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It could certainly be the case for some particularly thats another thing to consider from a developers standpoint; does the OP want any sort of exclusivity for games? As for Aldorlea and Amaranth I don't think there is such a thing as you often see games offered on both sites. Although Indinera could answer that I'm sure.

Also is there a target audience for the games being hosted (if you go under the assumption of his minecraft exoerience what is the age range?); some developer's might not want there games alongside other games of a more "mature" nature.

I mean to answer his original question yeah a rpg maker store can work; that's been proven but how his will work will depend on a lot of factors that aren't being specified.

7. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Restrictions are usually for a given period (fairly short). I've never seen a distributor ask for total exclusivity in my 7 years of activity, having worked with most actors in the business. Except if the distributor is huge, such restriction is a big no-no.

I don't remember ever asking exclusivity to a developer.