Would appreciate some answers to probably noob questions

ridingangel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way you can make it so your playing with randoms online, and would there be a way to implement a highscore system with that?

If not randoms online, at least an online highscore system/highscore minigame? I was thinking frogger style, sliding down a mountain dodging rocks

Also can you put your own designs into the game? Like character sprites, buildings etc

Thanks.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only with plugins, and I'm not sure there ARE any plugins that will allow you to do that. If there aren't, it would be a BIG ask for someone to write one for you, and even if you offered payment I don't know that anyone would be interested (or that you would want to pay enough to make people interested).

What do you mean by "your own designs"? You can create your own tiles and character sprites, if that's what you're asking. The help file (F1) has the specifications you'd need to follow.

AoDLegacy

Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way you can make it so your playing with randoms online, and would there be a way to implement a highscore system with that?

Also can you put your own designs into the game?

Thanks.
As I have generally understood from other conversations on this matter, any kind of online play in RM is obtuse to implement and limited in functionality, or dangerous due to being unsecure internet connections, the likes of which that could get into notable security vulnerabilities, or outright impossible.

I have heard of (but do not remember specific ones) high score tracking plugins so that is technically possible from vague memory. And as Shaz just said, custom assets are readily possible. You need to have a good enough image editor to format the assets correctly, and to understand asset standards and formats, which like Shaz said, you can use the help file provided in engine to figure out the asset standards you would need.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a link to a YT video that Pheonix KageDesu made about his
Multiplayer Plugin for MV that will allow you to make multiplayer games with RPG Maker including MMO's

This is a old video and the plugin is still in development and you need to pay a monthly fee to use the latest version early.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As you mentioned you are a Rookie, I want to add some notes. There's a Frontend and, optional, a Backend when talking about Webbrowser Games or Apps. The Frontend displays the Game while the Backend deals with Server 2 Server communication, database, high scores, etc. RPG Maker Games only consists of a Frontend, which means there are very easy to host (google for FTP server), but they originally don't support a database that could store scores of all the players.

Your first step would be to practice how to host a Backend and how Frontend and Backend can communicate. Maybe googling for "REST" is a good starting point.

PS: If you wonder how Savegames are stored, I think they are stored inside your browser, but they are definitely not stored on the Server.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

concept: zombie slayer fest.

Lag because of outdated hardware.

Lots todo:
-Terrax lightning should have another step for the flashlight, between up down left right.
-Also Online mv from Nelderson should emit the flashlight from the other player.
-Animation needed for killing the zombie...
Before adding it to #crypchania.
Working on a case. Get all the evidence to prosecute some bad guys. :kaojoy:
But, the game development schedule delayed. :kaoswt2:
The moral of the story: No good deed goes unpunished... I guess...
Except that, nothing to see here. :kaoswt2:
just beat ff7 original for the first time since 2010. having played remake last year, I have a much better appreciation for the original oddly enough. I still like some of the character presentation in remake more, but the original's got a lot going for it.
Ever reach that moment in your life when your juggling a dozen or more projects that you know will never be made but don't have the heart to delete them? Ugh, I hate those moments...
:kaosigh: Why must you hurt me so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OMEGASS