Would I be able to release a free demo with trial version to raise $ for full purchase?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Vigilante96, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Vigilante96

Vigilante96 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I'm new to the community (game design in general too, I have very limited programming experience) and I was wondering if it is lawful to release a free demo of a game idea I have that was made using a trial version of RPGM. I saw on other posts that the TOS prohibit releasing a commercial project using a trial version, but Im not very clear on what qualifies as commercial. 

The main point I'm getting at is, Ive had a great idea for a game for a long time, and Ive watched and played many great games made with your product (The Witches House, OFF, Mad Father, etc.), and I believe it would be a great fit for the idea I have. The problem is, I'm a college student home for winter break, and I dont exactly have the funds available to buy a full version of RPGM. I was wondering if releasing a demo was allowed because it would most likely help me get money raised to actually buy the full version of RPGM and make the full game to release and maybe sell. Any info you have relating to this would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Currently there is a sale on this page with most makers 80% off (exception MV) - there should be no problem for you to purchase Ace at that discount, solving this problem.

3. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

The sale is for our main store. All the games you listed as your favorites use our older RPG Makers, which are currently on sale. It would be a great time to pick them up. :)

For all RPG Makers/software, excluding RPG Maker MV : 80% off!

Enter code: hohoho

For all DLC, excluding Cover Art DLC and Essentials DLC: 85% off!

Enter code: santahelper

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  4. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The sale is huge and lasts until monday. I think Ace is going for like $12, or real close to that. Certainly a lot less than what I bought it for...

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In answer to your question though, no, you cannot release a game using the trial version. And there's very little chance you'd actually be able to complete a game during the trial period. Most people underestimate the amount of effort and the time required to make even a fairly simple game.

6. Vigilante96

Vigilante96 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I would gladly buy during the sale, but when I go to the products page, everything is listed at full price. Any idea on why this is?

Edit: I missed that you provided codes. Thank you!